• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Danmoto vs. Stock muffler w/ video

Lou Wambsganss

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So I finally bit the bullet and bought a Danmoto muffler. The price was right ($170 total). I also got the extra baffle, and in hindsight, I'm glad I did. The open Danmoto was a little too loud for residential riding in the middle of the night, which I do a lot of with my work schedule.

I knew the stock exhaust was very quiet (too quiet for me). I tried to open it up a little, and had success doing so. I drilled a 3/8" hole in the middle baffle plate. I went in from the outlet side of the muffler with a step drill on a 12" socket extension. At each step I stopped and listened and called it good at about 3/8" diameter. It was louder at idle and low speeds, but no different at mid to high RPM.

mufflerhole.jpg

Here is the video I made which compares the stock muffler, stock muffler with hole, open pipe, Danmoto, and Danmoto with baffle. I have decided to keepthe Danmoto with baffle installed. It is a good compromise between smile-inducing noise and reasonable volume at night.

[video=youtube;EIBhRrmcbq0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIBhRrmcbq0[/video]

One more thing: The Danmoto came with a 2" CRES plate that was meant to move the mounting strap aft. I tried it with this plate and didn't like it. I now have the Danmoto installed with the mounting strap (the big one that wraps around the muffler body) bolted directly on to the OEM mounting location. It feels more solid this way, and looks better to me without a (relatively) ugly plate involved.

Subsequently, if anyone wants a stock muffler with a 3/8" hole in the baffle, just let me know. I have no use for it. I will ship it to you at cost. Send me a message and let me know. Thanks!

How about a side picture of the DanMoto mounted to the bike? I went to the DanMoto website and they don't show this one mounted. Is the black part painted or something else?

20140306_105433.jpg

Danmoto Jisu muffler.

20140306_105442.jpg

I repurposed the CRES offset plate that came with the muffler as a centerstand tab.

20140306_105451.jpg

Close up of mounting band. As mentioned, this is mounted directly to the original muffler bolt. No offset plate.

20140306_105507.jpg

Whole bike picture with new muffler

Looks good Lou. Can't say I'm a huge fan of the aesthetics of the relocation plate on my DanMoto either.

"CRES" ?

I asked Google:

13. What does the term "CRES" mean?

Answer: CRES is something used to designate stainless steel. It stands for Corrosion RESistant steel. It does not necessarily mean that the steel is in fact stainless steel as there are other materials that are corrosion resistant but not stainless steel.

Source: SSINA: Stainless Steel: FAQs

I asked Google:

13. What does the term "CRES" mean?

Answer: CRES is something used to designate stainless steel. It stands for Corrosion RESistant steel. It does not necessarily mean that the steel is in fact stainless steel as there are other materials that are corrosion resistant but not stainless steel.

Source: SSINA: Stainless Steel: FAQs

lols, that's the first thing I did, went straight to Google :D

I guess my eyes glazed over before I got to that one :eek:

Back