• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cycle World NC700X Challenge

My pleasure. Glad you are enjoying the series.

I feel very lucky to have been chosen for this event. It was a great experience, a big adventure for me, and I got to meet some fantastic people. It confirmed my belief that people who ride motorcycles are generally pretty good folks. It also confirmed my suspicion that the NC700X would be a great bike for me.

cheers,

-J.

The first episode in the Cycle World Honda NC700X Adventure Challenge was released today:

Honda NC700x Challenge #1

This is the fuel mileage challenge. Interesting results.

-J.
Interesting results indeed - makes me want to get a refund on mine since trying very very hard, the best I have ever had is 64mpg (USA gallons)
Mike 700X DCT

Fourth episode of the Cycle World Honda NC700X Adventure Challenge is out:

Honda NC700X Adventure Challenge #4

We ride from the beach way up into the mountains, take some pictures, and sit around the fire.

cheers,

-J.

Very interesting. Thanks for the updates and links to the vids.
This must have been a lot of fun to participate in. Did they furnish the gear and did ya get to keep it?
I only wish that there was more video or pics of the actual riding.
Especially the last ride from the ocean to the mountains!

It was huge fun. Yes, Cycle World put the call out to their advertisers and several stepped up with some great riding gear. I got a new Tour Master jacket, boots, pants, and gloves. Plus a top-of-the-line helmet from HJC. Awesome stuff. The riding was great and most of the time we had a camera crew buzzing around us. The short videos give a taste of what it was like. If they ever release any more of the footage, I'll share it. And the last segment with the ride up into the mountains was definitely the best.

-J.

It was huge fun. Yes, Cycle World put the call out to their advertisers and several stepped up with some great riding gear. I got a new Tour Master jacket, boots, pants, and gloves. Plus a top-of-the-line helmet from HJC. Awesome stuff. The riding was great and most of the time we had a camera crew buzzing around us. The short videos give a taste of what it was like. If they ever release any more of the footage, I'll share it. And the last segment with the ride up into the mountains was definitely the best.

-J.

Yes...I'm jealous!!!!
I look forward to any updates.
What did you think of the DCT compared to the manual?

What did you think of the DCT compared to the manual?

I really liked riding the DCT. If I were buying the bike and they were the same price I would definitely get it over the standard transmission. Here in the US the DCT is a $2,000 uptick. That's a big increase on a $7,000 bike. For a budget buyer it might be tough to justify, especially without a chance to ride both and compare. But the NC700 is a very affordable motorcycle and I think that $9,000 for the DCT version is still a very realistic price for the value.

If and when I'm able to get an NC700X of my own it will be the DCT, if possible. I enjoy working on my cornering skills and am very fortunate to have some fantastic mountain roads within a few minutes of my house. Riding the DCT and shifting manually, I'm able to concentrate on my riding technique, rather than the mechanics of operating the motorcycle. It is an amazing piece of technology.

-J.

I was able to manage 65 at best during the break in period. After the 600 mile oil change, my MPG jumped up to 69 at the following fill up. Mind you, the weather has been in the high 30F to mid 40F with rain and morning fog. Once the weather clear up a bit, I am confident I can get it up to mid 70s (if my throttle hand behaves)

I really liked riding the DCT. If I were buying the bike and they were the same price I would definitely get it over the standard transmission. Here in the US the DCT is a $2,000 uptick. That's a big increase on a $7,000 bike. For a budget buyer it might be tough to justify, especially without a chance to ride both and compare. But the NC700 is a very affordable motorcycle and I think that $9,000 for the DCT version is still a very realistic price for the value.

If and when I'm able to get an NC700X of my own it will be the DCT, if possible. I enjoy working on my cornering skills and am very fortunate to have some fantastic mountain roads within a few minutes of my house. Riding the DCT and shifting manually, I'm able to concentrate on my riding technique, rather than the mechanics of operating the motorcycle. It is an amazing piece of technology.

-J.

I bought the DCT model last Friday...love it love it love! Of course I've only put 120 miles on it so far!
I've been riding for almost 40 years and 6 months ago I would have LMAO at the thought of an automatic motorcycle.
I'm not laughing now...smiling...yes! I test drove both models and feel they're both HUGE in the fun factor category!

You're lucky. I've ridden your area of the country and wish I had your mountains closer to me. But then again it gives me places to go for roadtrips!!!

Interesting results indeed - makes me want to get a refund on mine since trying very very hard, the best I have ever had is 64mpg (USA gallons)
Mike 700X DCT

Don't feel alone, Mike. My highest is 58 US mpg, but it has only been 4 tanks worth so far, I admit.

My other tank figures were 48 and pair of 49's mpg...

Wow, that was quite enjoyable watching the challenge. It was a nice cross section of folks, and like the gent said in regards to the DCT, its nice to be able for focus on technique and enjoy the ride. I can operate manual trans (bike or car) just fine, but if I don't have to, I won't. I just need to figure out how to schwing a brewer in the frunk.

The bread machine option is an advanced prototype. We included it as a trial balloon, to gauge consumer feedback.

In the outtake at the end of video 4, was the host really pissed off or was he just playing along? Looks like all 4 participants had a great time, on and off the bike.

In the outtake at the end of video 4, was the host really pissed off or was he just playing along? Looks like all 4 participants had a great time, on and off the bike.

Bill is a good sport and took our ribbing with a big smile. We've all stayed in touch since the event and hope to ride together again. We've been doing some follow-up conversations via video conference. A fair amount of behind the scenes commentary and deeper insights than the short official videos allow. They're up on YouTube. Here's the latest: Cycle World Honda NC700X Adventure Challenge 4 - The 0 -- 9000 Feet - YouTube

Back