• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cultural quirk or universal biker code?

nc700xbarcelona

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
I changed two months ago from scooter to NC700, (my first bike) and I noticed that around 90% of bikers that I pass give a wave of acknowledgement, something that never happened with the scooter. So, is this something that has grown to be the norm where I live, (Barcelona, Spain) or is it a worldwide phenomenon?

In the UK and mainland Europe bikers have been waving or giving some sort of acknowledgement almost since bikes were invented. In france it is often just a leg stuck out. Often these days it may just be an exagerated nod. I donlt know what the situation is in the US.

I've turned into a waving snob. I've been riding over 50 years and it was always common to wave to other riders. That was when you might see another rider a couple of times on a given day. Now, you can't ride 100yds without a new HD rider giving you the 2 fingers down sign. I guess I'm just getting old but it's not the same as it used to be. If I'm out in the country and and see another bike I usually just wave to say Hi.

90% of the bikers I pass wave. Some of the HD crowd won't and some of the sport bikers can't. Most are very friendly.

I've turned into a waving snob. I've been riding over 50 years and it was always common to wave to other riders. That was when you might see another rider a couple of times on a given day. Now, you can't ride 100yds without a new HD rider giving you the 2 fingers down sign. I guess I'm just getting old but it's not the same as it used to be. If I'm out in the country and and see another bike I usually just wave to say Hi.

Out of interest what does the 2 fingers down signify? I know what one finger raised and what 2 fingers raised in a V means :)

I give a nod to bikes or scoots IF they look like they are not nobs :)

I wave to motorcycles. Scooters I've tried, but so very many of them around here are ridden by the blue-hairs or others with an absolute death-grip on the bars and a look of sheer terror on their faces that they seem oblivious to all around them.

Cruiser riders, particularly Harley-Davidson riders, but any cruiser rider, are the most likely to not wave back. Well, wait. Now that I think of it, BMW riders are the absolute least likely to wave, with cruiser riders next. Some sport-bikers won't unless you're on a sport bike, but honestly it's been very rare for me to encounter a sport biker who won't wave back if you wave at them. Lots of sport-bikers are very young, too, and haven't yet learned the common courtesies.

It is a interesting discussion. A long time ago, the only categories were two / four wheels. Two wheels = waving. Today, there are subcategories with a complicated logic between each one.

image041.jpg

Hi all,
I changed two months ago from scooter to NC700, (my first bike) and I noticed that around 90% of bikers that I pass give a wave of acknowledgement, something that never happened with the scooter. So, is this something that has grown to be the norm where I live, (Barcelona, Spain) or is it a worldwide phenomenon?

Rocker66 would have said that this is because you were a mod, and now you're a proper biker :p

Well, although I liked The Who, I've never had the hair or the physique to flatter the narrow trousers and jackets...and it wasn't a Vespa either, just a plain old Yamaha XMAX 125

90% of the bikers I pass wave. Mostof the HD crowd won't and some of the sport bikers can't. Most are very friendly.

Fixed it for you.

Yes, I do try to wave to other riders as much as I can. So now that you are on a proper motorcycle, other riders would wave at you.

I did once wave to a 60s style Mod scooter (using all my fingers) as it was a young lady friend of my wife who along with her partner restored old scooters as well as bikes. I gave a friendly wave but she did not return it later claiming she hadn't seen me. So I once made the effort to wave at a scooter rider and was ignored so I vowed then that having made the effort once I would never do again. I wave or nod to riders of all types of bikes from 50cc upwards and whatever their style but a scooter NEVER!. The same applies to stopping to help

Back