• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Crossbar add-on?

If the idea is to mount one or two items like a GPS or satellite radio another option is to use a Ram ball mount that mounts directly onto the handlebar, brake fluid reservoir, or handlebar riser. A versatile ram mount is less expensive and does away with the need for then buying a mount that mounts the desired equipment on the crossbar.

RAM Motorcycle Mount

Anyone added a crossbar to the handle bars for mounting GPS and related?

I have the RAM as stated by the previous post and I really like it. The thing I would be curious about with the cross bar is this. The device that will be holding your phone, GPS, or camera will require an adapter to attach it to the bar. The bar in the photo looks very small in diameter. You stated that this is only an idea so I'd suggest that whatever bar you use would need to be close to the diameter of the handle bars since most of the mounts out there have attachments for something around that size. If your cross bar is to small you may have trouble finding a mount unless you contruct that yourself too. Just my opinion.

I have the RAM as stated by the previous post and I really like it. The thing I would be curious about with the cross bar is this. The device that will be holding your phone, GPS, or camera will require an adapter to attach it to the bar. The bar in the photo looks very small in diameter. You stated that this is only an idea so I'd suggest that whatever bar you use would need to be close to the diameter of the handle bars since most of the mounts out there have attachments for something around that size. If your cross bar is to small you may have trouble finding a mount unless you contruct that yourself too. Just my opinion.

+1

(I bet Touratech sells them, lol. "Special Clamps" $$$$) :D

Personally I mounted my phone to the honda touring windscreen mounting bracket. I can't stand stuff moving around with the handlebars.

Gigs

If the idea is to mount one or two items like a GPS or satellite radio another option is to use a Ram ball mount that mounts directly onto the handlebar, brake fluid reservoir, or handlebar riser. A versatile ram mount is less expensive and does away with the need for then buying a mount that mounts the desired equipment on the crossbar.

RAM Motorcycle Mount

Yeah, I have that now. But after I added some handle bar risers I cannot get a bolt long enough to use the RAM mount that bolded to the handle bar bolts. So that leaves me two small skinny spaces at either side to mount conventional RAM mounts. So I'm looking for other options for more flexibility. (Thinking of adding coffee maker, microwave, ipad, laptop, so needs lots of mounting points - kidding).

Personally I mounted my phone to the honda touring windscreen mounting bracket. I can't stand stuff moving around with the handlebars.
Gigs

Yeah, in retrospect that is the one BIG advantage of the Honda touring screen. My after market touring screen doesn't give me that benefit.

Yeah, I have that now. But after I added some handle bar risers I cannot get a bolt long enough to use the RAM mount that bolded to the handle bar bolts. So that leaves me two small skinny spaces at either side to mount conventional RAM mounts. So I'm looking for other options for more flexibility. (Thinking of adding coffee maker, microwave, ipad, laptop, so needs lots of mounting points - kidding).

Any industrial supply should have 8 mm threaded rod you could use in place of the long bolt (make a stud of sufficient length and use an acorn nut on top instead of a long bolt) needed with risers. They might even have a bolt long enough. Just an idea with the threaded rod though - the crossbar does add lots of space. If the pitch is the same I have some 8mm threaded I could send you.

Any industrial supply should have 8 mm threaded rod you could use in place of the long bolt (make a stud of sufficient length and use an acorn nut on top instead of a long bolt) needed with risers. They might even have a bolt long enough. Just an idea with the threaded rod though - the crossbar does add lots of space. If the pitch is the same I have some 8mm threaded I could send you.

Hmm, that's a great idea. I have to double-check the thread size on the 8 mm but I think I can see if ACE Hardware has those. It just never occurred to me.

Gigs

4.jpg

What did you use to mount the iphone to the Honda windshield bar? Great idea. Can you send a picture?

smileyiphone.jpg

Last edited:
I can't stand stuff moving around with the handlebars.

Gigs

I never thought about that and to be honest I never really noticed. When I'm taking corners I'm not really trying to look at my phone. Something to think about though.

I've thought about a similar setup but this is simpler and thus better. I had imagined a T configuration with four bolt hole base that used the handle bar mounting bolts.

Last edited:
Tankbag

View attachment 10707
I used one from 1 of my bent dirt bike bars.

IronButt84, I was wondering which tankbag you use with your NC and if it's waterproof. I see you have the top straps under the frunk lip which I haven't yet tried with my Enduristan tankbag.

I have a DCT so the parking brake on the left doesn't allow me to use a RAM brake reservoir/clutch mount. On my Silverwing, I used a strip of aluminum that had 2 Ram balls on the bottom and about 4 or 5 on top - my gadgetbar would mount to the top RAM balls on the reservoir/clutch RAM mounts and then all my electronics would go on the gadgetbar. Made for easy removal of all my electronics at rest stops, etc. Was wondering if the crossbar would be another alternative but probably not if the diameter of the crossbar is only 3/8".

Hammy
(IBA member 41640 who organizes rallies that end at Yoders in New Holland)

Back