• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Consistently decent MPG

Spaceteach

Reaction score
Visit site
Just thought I'd post the fuel mileage numbers I've been getting from the NC for the first few fill-ups:

1st tank 202.7 miles 2.794 gallons 72.5 miles per gallon
2nd tank 222.3 miles 3.005 gallons 73.9 mpg
3rd tank 210.0 miles 2.899 gallons 72.4 mpg
4th tank 214.9 miles 2.925 gallons 73.5 mpg
For those not in the USA, I'll leave it up to you to do the conversions to metric or other gallon capacities.

I can't believe how consistent the readings are since I don't commute on a set route to and from work (laid off/retired from work). I'd guess that these miles were about 25% interstate, 40% two lane roads, and 35% in town. Anyhow, I'm definitely pleased with the fuel mileage the bike is getting.
There was a thread a while back about oil weights (10w30 vs 10w40) and one of the items mentioned was that using 10w40 might result in poorer fuel economy. FWIW the dealer put 10w40 in the bike at the 600 mile service and the last tank in the above list was the first full fill-up after the service. As you can see (keeping in mind the small sample), the 10w40 weight oil does not seem to have hurt the fuel mileage.

Bob

There are a few on this forum that get very good fuel mileage. N97972 and 670cc doing very well with numbers in the 80's.
Check out NC700Xfuelly

Mine's averaging 77+ mpg (US) pretty consistently. The solid yellow line is the price/gallon, the solid white line are the mpg values at each fill up, and the dotted blue line is the moving mpg average. Handy little iPhone app called Road Trip.

Attachments

• IMG_1086.jpg
    IMG_1086.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 114
I've been averaging a pretty consistent 64 MPG (US) at my fuel ups.

My Fuelly - NC700X (Honda NC700X) | Fuelly (The 54 MPG fuel up was an anomaly - Heavy rain, winds, and high speeds really killed it on that tank)

I think my numbers may be a little lower than some because of ethanol. Here in Central Texas, I can't find a station without ethanol in the gas, and I know it hurts MPG.

A great site to try and find ethanol free fuel is Ethanol-free gas stations in the U.S. and Canada, but here's the result for me (I'm the red pin in the middle):

gas by treybrad, on Flickr

I'm 150 miles away from anywhere ethanol free!

So, I'm pretty happy at 64 MPG. I think I'd be closer to 70 MPG with real gas, I know my last bike would jump up 3-5 MPG on road trips when I could find it.

trey

I'm getting a pretty consistant 64mpgs. Checked the site that treybrad posted and there are only 5 stations in California with ethanol free gas and I don't live near any of them. So I guess I should be happy with 64mpgs.

The numbers I put in the original post were with ethanol formulated gas, but the reason I posted was not the mpg numbers themselves but the consistency of the numbers. I don't ride the same roads constantly (like you would do in a daily commute) and it seems that no matter what type or mix of roads or traffic I've encountered on each tank, the variance in mileage is less than 2 percent. I'm just surprised open road versus interstate versus in town conditions don't seem to cause much difference in the fuel economy.

Bob

The numbers I put in the original post were with ethanol formulated gas, but the reason I posted was not the mpg numbers themselves but the consistency of the numbers. I don't ride the same roads constantly (like you would do in a daily commute) and it seems that no matter what type or mix of roads or traffic I've encountered on each tank, the variance in mileage is less than 2 percent. I'm just surprised open road versus interstate versus in town conditions don't seem to cause much difference in the fuel economy.

Bob
Interesting... and you have the manual trans...

I'm just surprised open road versus interstate versus in town conditions don't seem to cause much difference in the fuel economy.Bob

I think this is because, as I understand it, your fuel economy has more to do with how you drive and particularly how you accelerate, than with your speed or what type of roads you are driving on. In my car, I can get 40 highway but only mid-thirties around town, but because my brother's more even handed with the acceleration, he can get 40 around town in the same car.

I have found that the most important factor to my fuel economy is if I carry a passenger or not. Even with passenger, my NCX doesn't waste more than 4.1 litters each 100 km

I think he is longing for the job early tomorrow monday morning... :)
Beer time is on saturdays, together with the football games (read: it is not spelled soccer! ;-) )

Actually he is on his long wekend off so not back to work until Wednesday afternoon. I must admit though we had a great time last night as we went to our old bike clubs reunion which is held every 2 years. It is always good to meet up with old mates however sadly we have 6 that are no longer with us compared with the last reunion.
I actually only get every other Sunday off and one of those is coming off a week of nights so I don't feel particually funny on that one. Anyway I'm glad my comments amused somebody :)

I've been getting around 66 to 68mpg but like all motorcycles I've ever owned I ride it hard. I think one of these days I may take it easy for a tank to see how far up I could take that.

Back