• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Considering consolidating

Hank

Reaction score
Visit site
I have three motorcycles.
drz 400 supermoto
NC 700x 2015
2018 Goldwing Tour

i just finished a 4,000 mile ride to Key West and back. I enjoyed it but my time for long distance touring may be done. I am 67.

It occurred to me I might sell all three and buy an Africa Twin or the new NT 1100 if it comes to the US.

Or sell big and small and keep the NC.

I love the Goldwing, best bike I have ever had. But when I bought it I thought my wife would retire and we would ride more. She has no plans to retire, and I only have 32,000 miles on the Wing, as I really only use it for touring.

Any thoughts?

I guess I should add that my two main riding buddies both died in the last year and the Goldwing group has closed down. I guess those events are part of my thinking.

Sounds like you don’t use the super moto so maybe sell that and ponder the other 2 some more

Looks like you have a good fleet with variety. If your finances are good, why sell anything? Keep them all.

Frankly though, if your long distance riding is done, an adventure bloat cycle Africa Twin or a chain drive sport touring NT1100 doesn‘t make much sense. Maybe just letting go of the ‘Wing would be best.

I had a similar stable (including a NC750s), sold them all, and got me a new NC750x... Maybe not super exiting bike but so darn good I want to go somewhere with it every day. :)

Sorry to hear of the losses in your life. Loss of friends and the dream of touring with your wife could impose a lot of stress in your life. Good you are considering a decision and not jumping into it.

I only own a Goldwing because my wife decided 7 years ago to go riding on occasion with me. If or when she decides not to ride with me anymore I would sell my Wing. I like it but I'm not in love with it.

I like the choices of bikes that you are considering! Based on the snapshot you have given us alone, and the options you are considering, from my perspective I would keep the NC, sell the other two, see if it is giving you all you need out of it, and then reevaluate from there. If nothing else, it gives you a bit of time to consider the AT fully or see if we get the NT. Transalp rumors are out there too!

Keep what you ride the most and what you enjoy, even if it all 3 or just 1. I would keep the Wing if your wife doesn't enjoy the back of the NC, maybe start asking her to go on more weekend rides and see what happens. The DRZ would be just for fun I'm sure.

And I will be in the market for a DRZ-SM once I sell my Z125...

I have a different take. I'm a little older than you, turning 73 in a couple of months. If you like riding long distances, it is hard to give up a bike with long distance design. FOR ME, the NC 700/750 is not a bike designed for long distance, even if it will do it. So would a Grom when it comes right down to it. ( not with me on it, but I have read stories about guys touring on them). I traded in an FJR (before the FJR I had a Honda ST 1300) on my NC 750 because 2 1/2 years ago, my wife and life long touring partner said she no longer wanted to ride. Figuring I no longer needed 650 pounds and 150 hp I opted for something lighter. The NC 700/750 is a terrific bike in it's element, but that element is not loaded like a pack mule for a week long trip to the other side of the country. I have taken 2 trips on my NC 750 and on both trips I sure missed my " real" touring bikes. I miss the wind protection, the power windshield, the effortless power, the maintenance free shaft, the cruise control, the built in luggage accomodations, the fuel capacity and even the weight when traveling.

I think the NC is a terrific daily rider, out for a day ride or a weekend. Light weight, capable, great gas mileage, and fun for what it is, but only an NC aficionado would consider it a touring bike.

If it were me, as long as you can afford it, I'd keep the stable you have. If you want to consolidate sell the Suzuki and the Goldwing, keep the NC 700 for a lightweight daily rider, and hope they bring the NT into the states for a more or less proper touring bike ( minus the shaft drive).

UNLESS you no longer have any touring aspirations, in which case I would sell the Wing and the Suzuki and keep just the NC. But since you are considering a AT or NT I have a feeling you don't want to give up the open road just yet.

Another thing to keep in mind is several 800-900s are coming from Suzuki and Honda on the market soon, that may fill the gap a bit better than the NC. Why not wait and see what comes out mid 2023 before making a decision?

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

A lot depends on your purpose for the DRZ and the NC. You had a clear purpose for the Wing but it never materialised. I have the same purpose for my Strom but the Wife is still riding pillion on tours and events, so it stays until I am no longer able to manhandle it or She gives up. I am 72. Are You a tall person in good health ? If so then an Africa Twin is a good bike to consider. Personally I am no longer comfortable on tall bikes other than my CRF300L, and an AT would be too top heavy as well as tall, so its not for me at 5' 8".

I sort of disagree with Ferret on the NC not being long distance. I have done 800kms in a day on my former NC700X but the seat definitely needs modification. I assume that the DRZ is just for fun. If so are You still enjoying it ?

In my own situation for comparison I have four bikes. The Strom for the purpose as described above. The CRF for trail riding which I still do. The X-Adv for general day to day riding and its economy is also important, but it also happens to be the best long distance bike of the lot. Lastly there is the 34 year old NX650 Dominator which I have for classic events, but which is also a fun backroads bike. They all get used over the course of a year and I have no intention of parting with any of them unless I have a really compelling reason.

So my suggestion is that You sit down and write out the pros and cons of your current crop and then review the results. Perhaps then write down what You are currently seeking from Your motorcycling. Personally I have had "best bikes I ever owned" but I have parted with them for various reasons. Usually those reasons were age related plus my small stature in relation to one or two of them. I had a GL1800 for 10 years and loved it.

Well, I admitted an NC COULD be toured on, and also said I have done it myself, but Honda doesnt list it as a tourer, I've never seen it in a touring bike shoot out, or sport-touring bike comparison, and have never seen a review on one where the reviewer suggested it would make a good platform for touring. Having ridden all over the country, I have to say, I've seen plenty of Harley Dressers, and Goldwings, FJRs, and BMW RTs, and lots of liter class Adv bikes out in the boonies, but cant ever remember seeing an NC on the road while out touring. Again, not saying no one would do it, because some absolutely would ( like you and me, and 670, and dduelin etc)just saying its not what the bike was designed for. I know two people who toured on CBR 250s. They loved them. One rode his from Illinois to Florida, the other from Kentucky to Texas, but few would consider a CBR 250 a touring bike. Same with the NC series of bikes.

Last edited:
Back