• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Clutch less up shifting - what are your thoughts!

I have done it for years. When I was racing motocross in the 1970's we only used the clutch for the holeshot and multiple gear downshifts. If you rev-match it correctly on a street bike there is no damage or strain on the bike from the practice. I still do it occasionally when my left hand is busy with a helmet visor, electric jacket thermostat, waving at adoring crowds of pretty women, or some other distraction. But as a general practice, there is not much point in it.

I skip the clutch about 15 - 30% of the time while riding. It all depends what going on at the time. Kind of like beemer, only without the hordes of beauty queens waiving at me.
I'm still waiting for that!

I skip the clutch while driving my Dodge diesel a lot, I would guess that pickup has around 600,000 miles on it buy now.
The transmission still keeps on ticking, clutch less shifting hasn't killed it yet.

I say no if you are not experienced or new to the motorcycle. It is not worth grinding gears. I hauled singing and boxed beef in a 10 speed transmission semi for many years in and around the Boston, Massachusetts area. I used the clutch only to start off in first gear or if I was coming to a complete stop and going back into first. We were taught the proper way to shift in the Tractor Trailer School. "Double Clutch" If the sh!t ever hits the fan then yes, CLUTCH, BRAKE, and PRAY!!!

It is all about rpm's.

http://youtu.be/DGYuONwK7Nc

http://youtu.be/9WN5aSHBQCM

Notice the driver started in 2nd gear and not first. When he was in 5th gear he raised the low high range switch and put is back into 1st which is actually 6th then went on to 10th. Most likely the driver was bobtailing. "No Trailer"

Last edited:
Unloading the power to the transmission is the key to clutch less upshifts. I had a bike with a quick shifter that would cut the power for a few milliseconds while the shift was taking place, however as I explained to a friend just learning to ride, a small blip of the throttle at the same time as a light fan of the clutch is the key to a smooth quick upshift. As long as you unload the power there is no need to pull the clutch to full disengagement. Down shifts should NEVER be done without the clutch, doing that can cause wheel hop and skidding or even damage to the engine by causing over revving as the rear wheel is driving the motor. This is why a lot of sport bikes have back torque limiting clutches that use internal ramps to "slip" the clutch during a high back torque downshift.

If the sh!t ever hits the fan then yes, CLUTCH, BRAKE, and PRAY!!!

The motorcycle specific panic reaction is "In with both hands, down with both feet."

You do a needless down shift with this technique, but it gives you an easy to remember drill to perform when the poo hits the propellor.

The motorcycle specific panic reaction is "In with both hands, down with both feet."

You do a needless down shift with this technique, but it gives you an easy to remember drill to perform when the poo hits the propellor.

Reminds me of a book I once read. "Brown Spots On The Wall' by Hu Flung Poo. :eek:

Last edited:
My school of motorcycling (and my life experience and logic) tells me that clutch-in makes the bike go faster and the crash quicker.

I would resist clutch-in, but instead jam both hands tight (left hand on handle grip) and right hand (all fingers) on the brake lever, and right foot on the rear brake lever. Bike engine dies, but it is ok.

Back