• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Clean brake rotors/remove brake fluid

bellyrub

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about to change the front brake pads on the NC. So I'd figure it would be good to clean the rotors too. Question is there a way to clean them without removing them off the wheel.
I don't have the center stand or engine jack (maybe my christmas present this year). However I do have the rear swingarm stand but it would be of no help in this case. Any trick suggestions you guys use to clean the brake rotors would be helpful. Also would I need to take out some fluid from the reservoir/vent it since the pistons will be push back a lot? It looks like the dealer toped off the brake fluid when I bought the bike.

I am about to change the front brake pads on the NC. So I'd figure it would be good to clean the rotors too. Question is there a way to clean them without removing them off the wheel.
I don't have the center stand or engine jack (maybe my christmas present this year). However I do have the rear swingarm stand but it would be of no help in this case. Any trick suggestions you guys use to clean the brake rotors would be helpful. Also would I need to take out some fluid from the reservoir/vent it since the pistons will be push back a lot? It looks like the dealer toped off the brake fluid when I bought the bike.

You could just wipe the rotor with a rag containing brake parts cleaner. No need to remove the rotor. Rotate the wheel a little, then repeat.

If the pads are significantly worn and the reservoir is full, removing some brake fluid from the reservoir would be necessary.

After you remove the old brake pads, put a tube on the bleeder, crack the bleeder open and push the pistons into the caliper. The advantage to removing brake fluid this way is that the old fluid, accumulated water and air will be forced out of the caliper/system. This should also always be done on an ABS brake system when changing pads, because it prevents the old, dirty fluid from being forced through the small orifices in the ABS unit.

Back