• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Check my perception of steering feel?

AP1

Reaction score
Visit site
I want to see if my perception is normal for the steering feel of the NC700X, especially at slower speeds. Keep in mind my perspective is based on switching from a Honda XR250L. It's possible my perception is simply related to riding a street bike rather than a dual sport bike.

The perception --
In short, I was surprised by the how strongly the handlebar turns in toward the direction of the turn at low speeds. If I'm turning left, the handlebar wants to turn hard to the left. I need to push the handlebar the opposite direction with some force to keep it from just turning all the way in. I noticed this very quickly when I made my first 90-degree turn going just 5-10 MPH. I even notice it turning out of my driveway. I didn't feel any of that on my dual sport bike. And I don't feel as much of it on the NC at higher speeds (above 30 MPH).

My assumption is that this is the normal behavior of street bikes. The more I ride the NC, the more I notice I need to -actively- steer -- push with my hand in one direction or the other to compensate for the strong force of the handlebar turning in the direction of the corner. I can't just lean in to a corner the go through it with a neutral handlebar feel -- it definitely wants to turn in.

I'm totally familiar with leaning in the direction of a corner and even "countersteering" to change direction of a motorcycle. I did that on my XR for years. It's this new handlebar turning behavior that I'm not used to.

So, is this just normal street bike behavior?

Any tips for how to get more used to that behavior, assuming it is normal?

Thanks!

I think it has to do with the 27 degree angle of the front forks.
Someone with more experience will probably chime in.

I don't know specifically about the XR, but when I switch from the NC to my trail bike, the steering feels drastically different at first. To me, since I ride more street than dirt, the street bike steering seems normal, where the trail bike steering wants to turn way too easy. I have to recalibrate and put much less effort on the bars. So I guess this is your case, only opposite. Or, maybe not. Short answer: what you feel on the NC is normal for a mid sized "UJM" street bike.

It's all about the rake and trail of the steering, as well as the tires. The tip is to simply ride more and your brain will adapt.

Last edited:
I think it has to do with the 27 degree angle of the front forks.

I think this is it.

OP, when you read bike reviews talk about bikes that need "inside pressure" to hold a line or tend to "fall in" on slow turns this is what they are talking about. AFAIK it's a trade-off for stability at commuting speeds. I'd imagine various front tire setups would tweak the fall-in to one degree or another.

I put a set of handlebar risers on my last bike and the first time out it felt like it didn't want to turn. Not sure if it was the new position of the handlebars or sitting in a more upright position. Either way small changes in geometry can have a pretty big effect on steering feel. By the second ride it felt normal and I really never thought much about it again. I think 670cc has the key here. More riding will make it feel right.

The handling of the NC is quite different from my CBR600F4. I noticed that the bike felt much more comfortable (to me) after I put the lowering links in, which decreased the fork angle slightly. But, it all depends on how you ride, and what you are comfortable with.

Back