• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Changing your own tires?

cadamson

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive changed tractor tires, grader tires, and loader tires at work. Not just swapping a spare, actually dismounting and remounting the tires on rims. So I know how to change tires with BRUTE FORCE.... When it comes to street bike tires... I would think it would be a little more finesse than brute force. That being said, have you guys done it? Is it worth doing yourself? or just pay the $$ and let the shop do it?
Thanks for any advice

If it is brute force you are doing it wrong and probably damaging the tire carcass. The opposite side needs to be kept in the deep well of the wheel so that the side you are levering on is not over-stretched. I have a No-Mar and have owned both a Wikco and the Harbor Freight copy of the Wikco. It can also be done with good tire irons but you need something to hold the wheel so that you don't damage the brake disc. Before I could afford a changer I had a car wheel bolted to a workbench with a split rubber hose lining the top bead of the car wheel. The motorcycle wheel was held to the car wheel by a threaded shaft and nut through the axle bore. There are plenty of YouTube videos to watch and learn, but brute force is not involved in doing it correctly.

There are even some cute methods like using zip ties. Google that one too.

Sorry Beemerphile, when I was using the term brute force, I wasnt meaning it quite so literal as dropping hand grenades on em. Just saying that with only tire irons, changing a rear tractor tire on the floor isnt just a simple swap. Being steel wheels on a tractor, we are not as worried about scratching paint or damaging the wheel like I would be on an aluminum motorcycle wheel.

This topic has been discussed before, so browse through the Tire Tech Talk forum for threads like this: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/tire-tech-talk/7256-mounting-tires.html

If you're willing and able, of course it's worth changing the tires yourself. Many of us do. With the proper tools and technique, the tire and wheel will not be damaged.

I've done it on my NC and on a scooter. I left scratches on my rim, but I am not going to get rid of this bike for a long time. There will be more scratches as long as I'm getting the mileage I get. You're in the right place though, to ask if you get stuck. I mounted Shinko 705's and found them far superior to the OEM Z-7 Metzgers. I used Ride On as a balancing agent and I am still getting awesome mileage. I am 59 years old, with a torn rotator cuff and a hernia that I just got fixed after I did my tires. It is a matter of leverage and utilizing c-clamps for me, to break the bead and get the angles needed to get it off the rim. Lots of soapy water helps with the reseating and a tiedown to winch the center radius of the tire down so the bead can catch the air from escaping. A good air compressor is needed in my opinion. Good luck;-)

There are a plethora of quality bars made specifically for motorcycle tires so you don't scratch your rims. They all work well and make removing and mounting tires much easier. There's the Mojolever, No-Scuff tire tool, and the No-mar bar. All around $100 each. Using one of these correctly you will not scratch or damage your rims and the Mojolever webpage has a great write-up on what you need to buy and modify from Harbor Freight for an affordable tire changing machine.

The zip tie method works great. You can find it on youtube. Street tires are relatively easy to mount with spoons as compared to some of the more off-road tires. I have MotionPro rim protectors but I find them to be thick. Haven't tried it yet but have read that cutting out sections of a plastic milk carton works well as a rim protector.

I agree with Bamamate about off rode tires being harder. Heidenau K60 Scout Rear Tire and Continental TKC80 can test your ability to sustain prolonged physical or mental effort.

I've changed my NCX tires myself, but I prefer to try to get someone to come over and give me a hand. Dad rides, too, and lives close by, so we usually help one another.

The tire changing tools I have are:
Motion Pro rim protectors,
2 or 3 tire irons,
An empty 5-gallon bucket or two.

I can't call it a fun job. Really wish I had just a tiny bit of shop space, and something to hold the rim. A bead breaker would be the most handy thing, though. I've not had great luck yet with some of the 'simple' options like c-clamps or a 2x4 under the truck's tire. They work, eventually, but it's slow and often frustrating. Working in 90 - 105 degree heat doesn't help my attitude. :)

I've used zip ties, too. It worked brilliantly on one tire, and basically not at all on another. Here again, having a way to hold the wheel would help me.

Anyway, I change tires myself because I'm cheap. :) I don't like it, but I do it. On Dad's bike, I think we've always had a shop do the rear tire. He rides a VTX1800, and that rear tire is a stiff, uncooperative thing when you have absolutely zero in the way of holding tools.

for over 40 years I have changed my own tires. with the advent of 180 and 200 tires on my big harleys and 1400 guzzi, together with cumulative shoulder issues from 18 years of racing and crashing, I found I just didn't want to do it any more. My buddy and I each put $750 into a tire machine ($1500 total). best thing since sliced bread. Back when I did it, I used 2 long tire irons and a number of shorter ones. I used rim protectors cut from an anti-freeze bottle (thicker than milk jugs). I use windex as a lube, and I have a decent air compressor to seat beads. I protect the rotors by using two 3' sections of 4x4 on the floor that the rotor drops between. To break beads, I used that setup together with another section of 4x4 used a ram to break the bead. I press the ram downward using an 8' piece of 2x4 loosly bolted to the wall as a lever arm.

I have a 15 gallon grease barrel with a split air hose glued to the rim. It works well for me & protects the spokes. I have used it for years , I'm 71 years old & ride a NC700X. Great bike !

When I moved to Knoxville 4+ years ago I purchased a Cycle Hill tire changer (NoMar economy model) because it was compact and could be connected to a trailer hitch as an anchor point. Since I bought my house I have bolted it to the garage floor. I also purchased a Marc Parnes static balancer and an Ingersol Rand twin stack compressor on Amazon. Total investment was ~$800. This past week I performed changes 99 and 100. I rip through tires like some people use gas, less than 2K mile average. I also test lots of different tires so i change tires often, the changer doesn't sit idle for long.

My return on investment/simple payback is impressive. At just $25 (low) a tire change I would have spent $2,500 in labor. One of the better investments I have made. Down to ~$8 a change and decreasing all the time until something wears out and needs replacement. I buy my tires through Jake Wilson as they have an annual cash back plan that ratchets up the more you spend. I buy my oil and other maintenance items from them and I usually get the equivalent of around 3 free tires in cash back over the course of a year. Add the $180 in tire rebates I received this year I might reach 5 free tires this year alone. The business side of playing in the mountains on a motorcycle. If you have 2 riders in the family like I do then a tire changer pays for itself quickly.

If you go through 4 tires a year (I have installed 27 this year so far between the ST, NC,CB, Tiger and Versys) then a tire changer set-up can usually pay for itself in 5 years. Having an air compressor is very handy for lots of other things as well, especially grip install/removal. NC takes 45 minutes to an hour to change both tires.

Back