• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Oilers ... Are they really useful?

All good to hear that the unit are serving everyone well. I just got around to mounting mine today. Since i was mounting the new DID VX3 chain i might as well mount the new oiler too!
Pics to follow! :{)

I'm getting a bit of a mess on my rear wheel rim.
I just switched from "Bar & Chain Oil" which is used on chain saws and over to heavier 85-140 Gear Oil.

I’ve been using 80/90 gear oil and getting a bit of “fling” up into the chain guard <snip>

I’ll move to a thicker oil at the same time.

You guys might not be aware of this, but gear oil viscosity ratings are not the same as engine oil viscosity ratings. A 75-90 wt Gear has similar viscosity of a 30-40 SAE engine oil. If moving to a higher weight engine oil make sure the engine oil viscosity is actually higher than the current lube you are using.

Also, a bit of oil fling is necessary to clean the chain. One of the main purposes of oiling a chain is to clean it, not necessary to lube it. Modern O ring chains are sealed, and you want to keep those O rings sealed by removing any dirt/grit than can damage them. The beauty of an oiler is that you can put the oil down when the chain is really cranking out the RPMs.

The oil drips on the moving chain (or more accurately the sprocket), gets attached to the grit and grime and that sand/oil paste is "flung" off by centrifugal force. Less is more and you don't want a wheel covered with dirty/gritty oil so maybe just dialing down the amount of oil you use is the answer.

Totally anecdotal, but I don't think I've gone through 4 oz of an old transmission fluid/bar oil mixture of waste oil in about 15,000 miles of (mostly interstate) riding with my auto oiler. I filled the auto lube resevior about a year ago and it isn't empty yet.

Last edited:
Thanks Rob. I was not fully aware of the comparative weight relationship between the two. To your point, I have noticed the chain getting “cleaner” as the oiler has been in use. No more sticky/icky grit on anything. A little fling, yes, but basically the chain is taking a frequent (maybe too frequent) oil bath and throwing off the crud in the process. Maybe more viscosity isn’t really necessary or the answer to the issue - but just less frequent oiling, as you suggest. It’s a bit of a learning process and can get a little subjective as well. So far I like the simplicity and what looks like a lot less cleaning and real chain “maintenance” in my future.

OCR said it ...the Tutoro oiler is the best, it isn't cheap but once you've got it installed and set properly you add oil once in awhile, that's it
(I'm rarely riding even a dirt road) but I don't clean or do anything else for chain maintenance (I wash my motorcycle less then once a year also)
my chains are lasting over 30,000 miles. My current chain is doing the best, it's just past 30,000 miles looks and feels brand new and hasn't moved sense the original stretch adjustment

Great info, thx.

Super happy with my Gidibi knock-off oiler. I have been using it nearly every time i ride. I take off riding and about the time i feel the chain has warmed up a little bit i give it 1/8th turn. Then later in the ride i'll do the same.

Seems to work great, i'll change or adapt techniques if things appear that it is needed. :{)
Gidibi chain oiler.jpg

Gidibi chain oiler4.jpg

I like that lube you’re using. Makes that dirt and grime disappear. Wait a sec...

Back