• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain cleaner / greaser kit

sorry guys - I thought it was on here that everyone was discussing wd40/acf50 as chain protection instead of greases. Must be the Uk forum
Mike

But the question remains, beneficts of ACF50 as chain lube, please?

don't think it's really a chain lube - more anti corrosion treatment. Aren't the modern chains sealed with lubricant already inside?
Mike

an old tooth brush and parafinn does the job of cleaning the chain and wiped dry with a rag. no not the ones I'm wearing:p

I use Motul chain lubricant, it works perfectly. You can see the difference between dry and lubricated chain pretty well. Dry chains have a strong shine surface where it contacts with the sprockets. At the sides they are much darker. I was suggested to use those kind of lubricants, that don't splash off to the rear tyre. Previously used lubricants ( ex. for bicycles ) always splashed to everywhere after a short while and i had to clean the rim etc... Experienced bikers - as most of you - should know, that is important to keep lubricated the chain all he time to provide it's estimated life cycle.
The other thing is, what kind of cleaning stuff can be used to remove the dirt from the chain? Besides WD40? Petroleum or Nitro-thinner might get dry off the factory lubrication from the o-ring and that shortens the life of this part. Or am I wrong? Or the factory catalogs lied us to buy those hard priced products for this procedure?

I've cleaned many-a-nasty chains and I have found one of the more effective products is Gojo hand cleaner(pumice-free of course). The white creamy stuff. I pick up a can of it for 99 cents at the auto store and basically apply it to the chain(with a latex gloved hand) and leave the gojo packed chain overnight. The following morning I use a grunge brush and message the gojo in all cracks and crevices......Then, use a garden hose and spray chain down while rotating wheel. Chain comes out brand new. Dry chain and apply Dupont chain saver.

Craig

I just read about this product,,. CarbonForBikes..... if it works seems like a good idea,,,but how does it work?how can a block of carbon possibly keep a chain lubed..another thing ,does it protect the chain from corrosion ...plus its abit on the pricey side...but interesting all the same....

I just read about this product,,. CarbonForBikes..... if it works seems like a good idea,,,but how does it work?how can a block of carbon possibly keep a chain lubed..another thing ,does it protect the chain from corrosion ...plus its abit on the pricey side...but interesting all the same....
I like the idea of continuous graphite lubrication. Do they have a kit for the NC?

I made esquires regarding the continuous graphite lubrication,and received this email from Carbon for Bikes ..............Dear Sir or Madam,

thank you for the entry of your Model at CarbonForBikes.

This information is very helpful for us to adjust our preferences for the development of the next model specific holders. A clear trend is already visible.

In addition we also check, if we can produce a holder for your model by only making some minor modifications of existing holder types.

We would like to explain this process a bit more in detail so hopefully you will understand that it might take some time until we can give you a feedback concerning your model.

For a save attachment of the lubrication system we always use existing fastening points at the swing arm exclusively, e.g. the fastening points of the chain guard.
And only in this case you don't need a TÜV (operating) certificate! Additionally there has to be enough space between the swing arm and the chain. The geometry of the solid lubricant insert is adjusted to the chain curve to guarantee an optimal wear of friction and to avoid damages.

Unfortunately the swing arms of nearly all motorbike models are very different including different positions of the fasting points.
Thus we have to produce a complete new holder for nearly all models.

Below you'll find a short list of the development cycle for each new holder.

Providing the motorbike
Taking measurement of the swing arm and existing fastening points; measurement of the available space; chain curve definition, relatively to the swing arm.
Prototyping in due consideration of operational safety and adequate torsional rigidity.
Furthermore in due consideration of aesthetical aspects (holder is designed to be hardly visible after attachment)
Various safety and driving tests
After successful tests: Transfer into series manufacturing
Manufacturing of the components

As you will understand the whole procedure takes some time limiting the number of new holders to be brought to market during the next months.

Directly after the functional test we will publish each new model on our homepage.

Best regards
Your CarbonForBikes-Team

I sent an email too and received the same canned reply. If enough of us express interest and considering it is a top selling bike in Europe they may act quicker on providing a solution to NCs

Honda products

Even though Honda doesn't make the chain, I'm just going with their branded cleaner and lube. Total for both, with tax, is $18.05. And Beemer-recommended grunge brush. Thanks for the great recommendations.
Paul

Back