• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cam Chain Tensioner Failure

Yep ^ ) I`ve already got it. Just a fixing pin for simple installation.
at fist moment I thought that wire was istalled on my tensioner same as here and jammed somewhere deep among gears ... but... thanks god)))

I have a friend cranked on engines ))) He gonna help me with timing tweaking.

Last edited:
little update:
I`ve checked timing marks. Now obvious that the chain skipped few teeth. I can`t get how much but it seems more than one.

I`ve made schematic view:
It doesn`t represent exact angle of shifting, just sort of it.

rSPOYI.jpg

little update:
I`ve checked timing marks. Now obvious that the chain skipped few teeth. I can`t get how much but it seems more than one.

I`ve made schematic view:
It doesn`t represent exact angle of shifting, just sort of it.

rSPOYI.jpg
when checking cam timing, make sure you have the drive side of the chain tight when checking makes, hold the crank at the mark, in normal direction of travel, never turn motor over backwards, you may damage tensioner, make sure the slack is always on the cam chain tensior side. It is possible to miss the marks if this is not done. And always the cam marks will be on the retarded side of there marks, due to cam chain stretch, even new motors will be this way, unless you are going to degree in the cam, or cams. Dale

when checking cam timing, make sure you have the drive side of the chain tight when checking makes, hold the crank at the mark, in normal direction of travel, never turn motor over backwards, you may damage tensioner, make sure the slack is always on the cam chain tensior side. It is possible to miss the marks if this is not done. And always the cam marks will be on the retarded side of there marks, due to cam chain stretch, even new motors will be this way, unless you are going to degree in the cam, or cams. Dale

When I did the valve check some weeks ago the timing marks on the cam and flywheel didn't match up very well. Is it because of the lack of tension or something I should be concerned about? The bike has 10,000 and has been running great since I did the valves 1,500 miles ago.

When I did the valve check some weeks ago the timing marks on the cam and flywheel didn't match up very well. Is it because of the lack of tension or something I should be concerned about? The bike has 10,000 and has been running great since I did the valves 1,500 miles ago.

when the crank timing mark is lined up, the cam marks may be retarded, if the marks are advanced you may have the cam timing off. Dale

Well here is another one. Heard extra noise the other morning on startup.
Thought it was odd. Continued to ride a couple days, no change. Searched up this link
and thought this what I was hearing. Had the day off today so I took it apart.
tensioners.jpg.
This is what I found. Not what I have come to expect from Honda at under 9,000 miles.
Luckily I have the skills to do this work.:rolleyes:

Nasty! :(

Sorry to hear, but glad you got it sussed out before catastrophic results :eek:

This was my very first thought and voiced fear/dislike of the NC engine, the godawful long looking camchain. No matter how good any engine is, IMHO, it's always let down by camchain or camchain tensioner failure somehow, somewhere along the line, it seems...

Brilliant :eek: .... I wonder if the new tensioner has the same quality ....
Do i have to wait for suprise again ? ...

I think we'll be ok. With all the people on this forum and only three of us (we need our own club) with failures, I think we'll...
RIDE ON!

We have a few similar cases in our local country forum.
And i think some of people did not write about such issues.

it happens to often - just my opinion.

I even would like to write to honda to describe this issue, but can`t find email.

2013 Honda NC700X CAM CHAIN@TENSIONER Parts, 2013 Honda NC700X CAM CHAIN@TENSIONER OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

I guess, these are those parts, which shouldn't be replaced near the whole lifetime of the bike. After all, it isn't too pricey comparing to bike's value. But it is not an aeroplane, where the parts has a lifelimit and will be replaced regardless of expense.
I will check it on mine, will do the oil change soon. The shop wanted to charge me for 100$ ( oil, 2 filters, brake fluid and labor )

Guess I'm going to take a look at the tensioner this weekend. The bike is due for an oil change, 16k valve check, chain adjustment and probably a bath since it's never been washed since the dealership. Thanks for the heads up everyone.

Now I'm wondering if it might not be a worthwhile effort to pop out the tensioner every once in a while (say every couple years or 16,000 miles or so?) and give it a quick look to see if the rivets are still tight or show signs of loosening/deforming, or any other untoward evidence like stress cracks, etc.?

There are couple options ^ )

Wait for the abnormal noise from rigt side. Sound will appear much earlier before critical breakdown.

Visual check requires more time, but it easy enough imho. Just dont be lazy when you replace an engine oil or cheking valve clearence.

In my case due lack of expirience, i just kept riding when than noise aperaed until the bike quit moving at all ^ )
By the way !!! Cam chain started clank right after oil replace. coincidence?

There are couple options ^ )

Wait for the abnormal noise from rigt side. Sound will appear much earlier before critical breakdown.

Visual check requires more time, but it easy enough imho. Just dont be lazy when you replace an engine oil or cheking valve clearence.

In my case due lack of expirience, i just kept riding when than noise aperaed until the bike quit moving at all ^ )
By the way !!! Cam chain started clank right after oil replace. coincidence?

I can only speculate, but I'm thinking just a coincidence on the oil change and then noise, as the other failure/s showed a seemingly evident mechanical defect with the rivet style pin and/or material where the pin went through the body of the tensioner, and/or the (I think it was, based of my shaky memory lol) spring having broken where it bends into a "J" hook.

Hey guys,

I could be the next one with a failed cam chain tensioner. Symptom is: after the engine warms up (10mins), there is sort of a pinging coming from the head (kinda sounds like the valves have too much play). Seems to be louder on the right than on the left, and also increasingly louder as the engine warms up. Definitely hearable through the helmet, also at speeds around 50-60km/h (35mph).

So I went ahead and pulled the valve cover off and checked the valve clearance...they appear to be in spec on the intake side and a little bit below spec on the exhaust. Cause I didn't want to create more problems, I left them as is. Next, I tried releasing the cam chain tension as described in the service manual. The problem is - I can't pull wedge A (the thin one) up. I have tried it with varying levels of force, but it doesn't seem to want to move. So I got two questions:
- Is this sort of resistance normal or could I be looking at a failed tensioner? If so, how could it have failed?
- Is it possible to pull the cam chain tensioner out without releasing the tension (and without breaking anything else)?

Bike is a '13 700S and has 1400km on the clock btw.

Thanks for you help! Hope it is okay I posted this as a reply and not as a seperate thread.

1NT

Back