• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bright Bluish White Bulbs

I may change to an HID in the future, more light for less amp draw. If its a pain I may not but I have a lot more light with the HID compared to the
Sylvania Silverstar ultras I was using on my Goldwing.
You can also get the color you want.
Its a good idea to have fog/running lights when using HIDs because the high and low beam is the same lamp.

Light mod experience

I've been through this with my last bike, a Triumph Tiger 1050. It had horrible lights off the showroom floor. Barely a yellow spot hitting a very small, very close area of the roadway ahead on dim and little more when the high beam was included. Switching to HIDs was amazing, but cost nearly $300 for both. In retrospect, the low beam would have been adequate on that bike. It turned the darkness ahead into a daylight white football field and that's no exaggeration. By comparison, the NCX has excellent OEM lights. Yes, HIDs would be better, but in my opinion not necessary.

Using replacement lamps only, in blue, white or whatever is not going to provide any noticeable improvement. I've done this on my truck and they were expensive and burned out very quickly.

Go out on a dark road and honestly evaluate if your Honda is inadequate or not. I really wanted to upgrade to HIDs the day I brought the new NCX home. I rode in darkness several times and kept questioning just how much I really needed to do that. Final answer, for me, don't waste the money, the lights are actually very good.

Good luck with your choice. It comes down to our personal needs, even if that might be an emotional one.

First what is the size of the bulb? Is it H4? Sorry my sercvice manual is still on order through my dealer!
Has anyone tried this PIAA bulb?PIAA 70456 Xtreme White Plus H4 Anti-vibration Bulb : Amazon.com : Automotive

I have the bulb in my hand. It is marked "Osram Bilux 94193 HD Germany 12v 60/55W H4U 37R E1 00801 w1B3" So, there is an H4 in there somewhere.

I didn't go the replacement bulb route this time, but on past bikes I have had good luck with the Sylvania (Osram) Silverstars. Half the price and equal or better in reputation...

Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Sylvania H4ST BP SilverStar 60-Watt High Performance Halogen Headlight, Pack of 1

The stock bulb is an HD bulb. One way they make them heavy duty is to make them less bright. If you switch for a brighter bulb, be sure to take a spare bulb with you. Happily, our bulb is quite easy to get to. Remember to use a cotton glove or avoid contacting the glass, or both. If the bulb has been handled, clean it with alcohol (isopropyl, not beer) and let it air dry before installing it. (Oh, and then, don't be a ninny and touch the glass again after you clean it. The oil in your fingertips is enough to make it go "pop".

Honda OEM bulbs may have a different alignment tab orientation from aftermarket H4/9003 bulbs. H4/9003 bulbs have the lower two tabs 120 degrees apart while the OEMs have tabs 90 degrees apart. If that is the case the lower tabs of aftermarket bulbs just need to be clipped off or carefully bent 90 degrees out of the way.

Last edited:
Honda OEM bulbs may have a different alignment tab orientation from aftermarket H4/9003 bulbs. H4/9003 bulbs have the lower two tabs 120 degrees apart while the OEMs have tabs 90 degrees apart. If that is the case the lower tabs of aftermarket bulbs just need to be clipped off or carefully bent 90 degrees out of the way.

Now that you mention it, I remember that from my ST1100. This bulb indeed has the 90 degree lower pin orientation. Is the focus height the same?

I put a Silverstar Ultra H4 in mine the other day, and I am not impressed with the difference it makes. My last two bikes were an FJR1300 and a VFR800 and the Silverstars (2) made a world of difference in the amount and quality of the light. Maybe it's the reflector on the NCX, but the difference over stock is minor at best. The Blackbird I have now has HID lights, and they are spectacular. Oh, and no modification of the bulb was necessary.

Thank you for the tips. I am leaning like ordering both of these from amazon and keep the one i like. I will keep the stock bulb stored in the rear tail for emergencies

Thank you for the tips. I am leaning like ordering both of these from amazon and keep the one i like. I will keep the stock bulb stored in the rear tail for emergencies

See if you can find a packaged alcohol wipe to keep with it so that you can clean the glass before you use it.

Now that you mention it, I remember that from my ST1100. This bulb indeed has the 90 degree lower pin orientation. Is the focus height the same?
In the ST forums there is a regular debate whether or not clipped-tab aftermarkets focus exactly like factory bulbs do. The bulbs have to meet stringent dimension requirements to be labeled as H4s or 9003s so the answer is yes.

Is this a name for a bulb, or for a rocket to Mars? OMG!

I just got carried away reading all the numbers on it. They told me so much I wasn't sure what it was! Mine will last forever living in my "take-off box". I may go by and vibrate the box every now and then just to give it some use.

Back