• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Break in your NC700X

Heck, the first week I had the NC I hit the limiter at least half a dozen times. Until I got use to the shorter shifts. I like GK's answer "Ride it like you stole it"! ;) At $7,000 with all these great features it felt like I stole it!

Yeah! That's the spirit!
It is "just" a bike....meant to be ridden.
I sometimes feel like this too.

Ducatis are far more reliable than they used to be. My multistrada only let me down onnce and that was caused by an after market slave cylinder that had not been bled properly. Also the latest ones have longer servicing intervals

OK - as promised - searched for the thread instead starting the new one.

However - there seems to be no answer for what is bothering me a bit.
As this will be my first bike with Dual Clutch - a question especially for those already with DCT (and forum Gurus of course):

Due to the way the bike automatically changes gears should there be any difference with break-in period (probably using D for longer period than S, manual at all)?

Or just throw the dice and choose one of the typical methods (whatever suits the rider)? :p

with mine being a DCT I never bothered with running in and beside it had 350 miles on it when I bought as a demo bike
and we all know demo bikes aren't treated with care.

OK - as promised - searched for the thread instead starting the new one.

However - there seems to be no answer for what is bothering me a bit.
As this will be my first bike with Dual Clutch - a question especially for those already with DCT (and forum Gurus of course):

Due to the way the bike automatically changes gears should there be any difference with break-in period (probably using D for longer period than S, manual at all)?

Or just throw the dice and choose one of the typical methods (whatever suits the rider)? :p

For the first 500 KM i primarily used 'S' mode with easy throttle and when the speed was above 100 kmh i switched to 'D' mode.
But as the manual says, avoid full throttle starts and hard breaking or something like that :)

ck this link out ------------- htt://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/newBike.html
it is a good sight I have done the breakin on several bikes myself with no problems

Last edited:
My thought about break in has always been, ride it normally, dont baby it, and dont flog it either, till the first 600 miles, there is some metal chips that will need to come out at the 600 mile oil change, i dont want to stir up that metal with max rpm's, I would rather it sit in the bottom of the pan till it is flushed out at that first oil change.

My other rule of thumb for engine trans break in is
do not let the engine sit at the same rpm for extended time

What i do is
ride the bike basically normal, you want to put a load on the engine/trans, two types of load
1. Load
2. Unload

I rev the engine like i would normally ride, I do not baby it, and do not ride it to the extreme, I ride it like i am commuting.

I rev the engine to 3k-4k rpm then shift when I get to say 45-55 mph and I am in a comfortable gear where the tach reads between 3k-4k rpm, I then stay at 3k for a couple minutes, then rev to 4k for a couple minutes, then unload the throttle let the engine rpms drop (this is the unloading of the engine) to around 3k rpms, then start it all over again, then get used to riding this way loading and unloading the engine.

You could go as low as 2.8k to as high as 4.5K-rpm.

That's how i do it.

I have broke, no wait that's Broken in quite a few cycles that way I am sure there are many others, but unloading is as important as loading an engine.

And again this is Not rapid throttle, and it is not babying it either, it is like normal commuting.

No wheelies, no Stoppies, no bike slides, no 0-60's, no standing 1/4 runs, and No dyno runs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back