• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bolt ons and gained HP.

I have had performance bikes. If I wanted a fast bike I would have bought something else.

I bought the NC because:
1. Frunk - Gotta run errands for the wife which I now love to do.
2. Style - Looks great.
3. Design - I love the low center of gravity and the torque.
4. Honda - Reliability.

What I don't understand is how looking into performance for the bike is so taboo. It's a great bike and the performance is currently enough for me. But, I like to have fun just like the next guy and it might be nice to be able to squeeze a little more HP and Trq from her down the road a bit. To each his own I guess.

Performance improvements are pretty well designed out by the ground up approach for efficiency. The long stroke will impart a lower RPM limit because of linear piston speed. Running on regular gas limits the compression ratio. The intake tract is restrictive on purpose to give good vacuum at low RPM's. Adding fuel won't do much good if you can't add the air to go with it. Other than eliminating lean stumble in bikes with poor fueling programs, the gains from re-mapping occur when breathing has been improved. Free-flowing exhaust won't do much good with the intake clogged. Opening the intake would require a new head because of the way it is built. If you went to the trouble to build a new head, you would be limited in the size of valves you could install because of the small bore. You are just blocked every way you turn. The design is very unconventional and very purpose-specific. I bought the bike because I like what they did with the engine.

What's that leave? Turbocharging, supercharging?

I am afraid you would make the gas mileage ordinary long before you made the performance extraordinary.

Performance improvements are pretty well designed out by the ground up approach for efficiency. The long stroke will impart a lower RPM limit because of linear piston speed. Running on regular gas limits the compression ratio. The intake tract is restrictive on purpose to give good vacuum at low RPM's. Adding fuel won't do much good if you can't add the air to go with it. Other than eliminating lean stumble in bikes with poor fueling programs, the gains from re-mapping occur when breathing has been improved. Free-flowing exhaust won't do much good with the intake clogged. Opening the intake would require a new head because of the way it is built. If you went to the trouble to build a new head, you would be limited in the size of valves you could install because of the small bore. You are just blocked every way you turn. The design is very unconventional and very purpose-specific. I bought the bike because I like what they did with the engine.

What's that leave? Turbocharging, supercharging?

I am afraid you would make the gas mileage ordinary long before you made the performance extraordinary.

Well said.........and put to bed again..........for your next assignment go to technical section there is the "weak rear brake" thread that popped up again :rolleyes:

ROFL....

This forum is great or what?

Everyone (secretly) wished they have MORE performance but they don't want to sacrifice the MPG.
I have not come across a biker who will say NO to a cheap easy performance add-on if it is not damaging the rest of the biking experience.

There is no such free lunch in the world of engine and physics. You gain some, you lose some.
NCX is about fuel economy while having a fun time and looking "adventurous".
Can it go offroad? Not really.
Can it go fast? Not really.
Can it go far? Yes it can.
Does it bring a smile to your face? Depends.
Do I want to mod it? If it makes sense, yes.

:p

Tell us where the fountain of youth is, and all old men will flock there. Until then, it is just pure marketing.
I stay vanilla with my NCX.

If I might, and I mean no offense, but it seems everyone here assumes that the only reason you'd buy this bike is for the fuel economy. That is where the argument, "It is what it is. If I wanted a fast bike I would have bought an FZ1. Will an FZ1 get 75 MPG? Laughable!" falls apart. As I said earlier there were many reasons for buying this motorcycle one of which is fuel economy but, it certainly isn't the only one. At this point it's clear that it would be difficult to gain any meaningful hp without paying huge for it.

This thread has accomplished for me what I set out to do and that was find out if this thing can be modded for a little extra kick. The answer seems to be not really unless you're going to do something crazy like supercharge it. However, all the if I wanted a street bike I'd buy one nonsense really doesn't add anything to the conversation.

Let me just wrap buy saying this:
If I wanted a bike with a frunk, good looks, decent handling, and reliability what other bike could I choose? Is it so far fetched to think that someone would buy this bike on those merits and want to squeeze a few more ponies out? There are so many reasons it's great not just the fuel economy.

Cburn

Last edited:
My dealer is taking orders for a brand new Dynojet Power Commander V fuel injection module at $380. It is due by the end of the month and is plug-and-play with a couple of maps pre-programmed. I won't be buying one, but they have pre-ordered 2 units. With the huge success of this global platform which shares the same engine, I'm not surprised they came out with this. Lots of people love to tinker with whatever they have.

No offence and no taboos broken - but the very basic design concept of the engine pretty much precludes tuning for power bringing any benefits. Long stroke reduces internal friction but it limits rev range because the pistons would have to travel too fast per revolution to be reliable. All the other points Beemerphile listed pretty clearly also inhibit tuning.

Lots of the guys here understood and accepted that when they chose to buy this model.

All they're saying to you is "If I wanted to get to there then I wouldn't have started from here".

If I wanted a bike with a frunk, good looks, decent handling, and reliability what other bike could I choose? Is it so far fetched to think that someone would buy this bike on those merits and want to squeeze a few more ponies out? There are so many reasons it's great not just the fuel economy.

Cburn[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for others, but my reason for buying the NC was the combination of adequate power and excellent fuel economy. For my purposes, if I were to put a tank bag on half of the current street, sport, or sport touring bikes currently available, they would meet the criteria you listed above. They just wouldn't do it as efficiently as the NC. Sorry, but to me that is the one thing that sets this bike apart from the others. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of reasons I went with this bike, but there are a lot of other good motorcycles out there.
Short answer is that yeah, to me, the thing that sets the NC apart from a lot of other excellent motorcycles is the economy.

Bob

Cburn, again, you have to realise, the vast majority of us here *know* what you are talking about, and we "get it". Your questions have been eloquently answered by several members, with exactly why this bike, of all the bikes you could pick, would probably be the worst one you could have wanted to try and tweak for more hp.

The things you like about it, we all do of course. But those things- the frunk, the handling, the reliability etc., are (happily), just along for the ride with the NCX. It's number 1 Honda goal was to be a low reving, fuel efficient, "opposite" motorcycle engine.

From your replies, I'm still feeling that you haven't let that sink in, or really sat down and studied the New Concept mandate and why the same old, same old, things that we've all been doing for years with getting extra oomph out of our bikes, is so alien with applying to the NC.

The guys saying "if I wanted a faster bike, I would have got a..." just haven't said the previous, with the specifics labouriously typed out for you. To dismiss all the good and detailed info you've been given, and focus too much on it as if you are somehow being pandered to with nonsense, is a shame, and I wouldn't want you to leave the topic believing this.

This bike does EVERYTHING for ME that my previous bigger,faster more powerful bikes did !!.
BUT it does it at $6,999 AND 75mpg !!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cburn, again, you have to realise, the vast majority of us here *know* what you are talking about, and we "get it". Your questions have been eloquently answered by several members, with exactly why this bike, of all the bikes you could pick, would probably be the worst one you could have wanted to try and tweak for more hp.

The things you like about it, we all do of course. But those things- the frunk, the handling, the reliability etc., are (happily), just along for the ride with the NCX. It's number 1 Honda goal was to be a low reving, fuel efficient, "opposite" motorcycle engine.

From your replies, I'm still feeling that you haven't let that sink in, or really sat down and studied the New Concept mandate and why the same old, same old, things that we've all been doing for years with getting extra oomph out of our bikes, is so alien with applying to the NC.

The guys saying "if I wanted a faster bike, I would have got a..." just haven't said the previous, with the specifics labouriously typed out for you. To dismiss all the good and detailed info you've been given, and focus too much on it as if you are somehow being pandered to with nonsense, is a shame, and I wouldn't want you to leave the topic believing this.

As far as those things being along for the ride, that's completely up to the buyer. I'm a perfect example of that. I don't care if my bike gets 50 or 80 mpg. In fact if they made an NC that had a little more ummph I would have bought it and sacrificed range.

What gives you the idea I've missed the good details. I haven't missed a thing and if you read my comments I have said as much.
There have been a few comments that really detailed why the engine is difficult to (or not really worth it) to mod. I appreciate those comments as they add to the conversation. Just spouting off that if you wanted a fast bike you would have bought one does not add to the conversation and only gives me information I didn't ask for in the first place. If I started the thread with the title: "Why did you buy the NC when its not super fast" those answers would have applied.

The gents here that actually took the time to answer and educate have my gratitude. Thanks! Now, I've got to get to work on that super charger:p

I think many people here (including myself) often take things too literally when we read the text.
Everyone here are here for a "good" time. We are not here to argue (although sometime I may come across as such with Text).
It is far from the truth, if you do really meet up. I am just another guy with my own ideas and comments.

No harm done. We are all here for a cheerful and happy forum.

As far as those things being along for the ride, that's completely up to the buyer.

I don't care if my bike gets 50 or 80 mpg.

In fact if they made an NC that had a little more ummph I would have bought it and sacrificed range.

What gives you the idea I've missed the good details. I haven't missed a thing and if you read my comments I have said as much.

Just spouting off that if you wanted a fast bike you would have bought one does not add to the conversation and only gives me information I didn't ask for in the first place.

*shrug* What more can I say. Your replies make me think what I think. I can only surmise your elucidation by how you choose to frame your answers. Past examples of new Forum sign ups saying members were spouting off to them, and getting testy about the replies not adding to the conversation, giving info they didn't ask for in the first place, has been a bit of a telling tale.

I have no interest or desire to try and influence you one way or the other. If actually ever buy an NCX and want to turn it into a jet powered unicycle stunt bike, I will be the first to cheer you on.

Good stuff guys! Thanks!

Don't let it bother you. The're a fickle bunch. Most of them got darn right insulted when i asked the question "what don't you like about the NC?"

I almost got tared and feathered!

I personally bought the bike because I really like the adventure style without the bmw price. Mind you its not a real adventure bike. It is very easy to ride for a novice. Great on insurance and gets amazing mileage.

I too want a little tiny bit more power and grunt. I think a great exhaust will solve it for me.

Just a thought,,but did you look at the Yam TDM 900,,its got the same engine configuration as the NC ,but is a more tuned package... Actually it a pretty good bike,,and I think would suit you...As I say "just a thought"

Just a thought,,but did you look at the Yam TDM 900,,its got the same engine configuration as the NC ,but is a more tuned package... Actually it a pretty good bike,,and I think would suit you...As I say "just a thought"

But it's not sold in the USA I don't think.
The NC is a totally new design and I don't think the Yamaha,or any other bike gets the kind of mpg or the starting price of the NC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year i sold my hayabusa to buy the nc700s and 1 thing that was the biggest improvement on that bike (the hayabusa) was reducing weight rather than increasing horsepower. I ended up with the bike weighing 40kg (nearly 80 pounds) less than stock, had better brakes, better economy and handled like a sportsbike. Yes it was expensive but it was another way to increase performance without actually trying to..... Food for thought

Last edited:
Back