• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

BMW finance Balloon deal?

Old Can Ride

Reaction score
Visit site
What a balloon deal that BMW is offering future customers.

A fellow would surely have to have a head blown up like a balloon, ready to pop, when he signs on this dotted line.

BMW Motorrad USA

"See Conditions"

Conditions for the F700GS:

BMWConditions.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone taking that deal gets paid too much. Top of the range still due 11k after 48 months. Buy two NCs kit them up and still get change.

Basically looks like a lease. You wouldn't worry about the balloon payment if you trade it in at the end for a new model. The balloon payment is what they expect the value of the motorcycle to be at the end of the payments, so you are paying for the expected depreciation over the length of the payments. Where it differs from a lease is that you can't walk away at the end like a lease. You are on the hook for the balloon payment unless you trade it in.

Buy used! It works for me!

That's just stupid dumb to take the depreciation and then turn around do it again and again.

I was offered a PCP (Personal Contract Plan, I believe) on my NCX by the dealer, my answer was simple, "I wanna buy it, not rent it".

I bought my R1200CLC in 2003, the price was $14,500. The dealer kicked in $1,500. BMW carried the paper at nine tenths of a percent and paid the first three payments. Now we were down to what, $12,250. Then BMW deferred the next three payments. That, that was a deal.

Motorcycle financing has since taken a beating, it appears.

I hang my head in shame when it comes to replying in threads like this, but nevertheless...

My F800 was base MSRP $12,500.00 which swiftly rose much higher due to all the options like Panniers, Trip Computer, Center stand, Heated grips, PDI taxes, levies, etc., etc. I've never seen or heard of anyone buying a BMW with zero options, lol

After all the dust settled, my loan amount was for an even $20,000.00 :eek:

Buy used! It works for me!

That's just stupid dumb to take the depreciation and then turn around do it again and again.

totally agreed,but didn't worked last time,when i tried to shop for a car this winter.. i use to be a used car dealer,always buying used for myself at end of the year. still have some friends with access to the auctions and online data.
used cars raised in price so much, it's just didn't make any sense to buy one. and you won't find any good ones. they all now in various programs like re certified blah blah blah. ones that goes on auctions are total trash.
ended up buying brand new leftover from 2013(made in 2013) with 0% interest, 0 down payment, almost 2.5K below MSRP and dealer kissing my *** on the way out,offering free lunch. little sentra sv for wife for stop and go type of driving. btw-car was roomy as our old MB and on flat highway delivers 50mpg with ac on. 33mpg on stop and go traffic with 20mph average speed,using recommended synthetic 0w-20 oil. on regular gas.so far-i love it(despite few hiccups at the beginning).
as for bikes-yep-just buy them during the winter\fall, as long as it was well maintained one should be ok.

Slightly off topic but I presume everyone knows all 2014 BMW R1200RT bikes have been grounded. Like in "Don't ride it!"...
Hopefully BMW will have a fix in August or thereabouts...The "Do Not Ride" order effects about 8,000 motorcycles worldwide. Not a very good start for their new touring water-cooled twin...

I hope BMW can get a handle on this...Everything I read about that bike is suggests it really is a masterful touring machine and I wouldn't mind trying one when I get really wealthy ;-)

I'll take that deal if they would 'give' me their K 1600 GTL EXCLUSIVE for $10,495.00.

:D

With warranty or no warranty?

Even if I wasn't on the hook for having to pay out of pocket for $$$$ repairs, fighting with BMW for stuff on my bike that was unarguably 100% under warranty was completely disheartening and anger producing. Not to mention the not in stock parts that can take months to ever show up.

Ya, no thanks (modern) BMW. Not even if it was free.

The BMW's 3asy Ride deal is nothing but a lease with a option to buy in the end. They are counting on people trading up to the bigger GS, after they had drank the kool-aid for a couple of years. They will then sell that trade-in (likely in perfect condition) for a grand under MSRP to another guy dreamt of touring the world on a BMW.

Please tell me why BMW's are worth that kind of money? Granted...I have never owned one...and maybe they are good bikes...but that much better than a Honda? I have looked at the BMW's, sat on them, and heard them running. And to be honest they sound like (excuse my language)... shit!

No thanks BMW on your rip-off balloon deal. I'll just ride my paid for NCX for 100,000 miles. And congrats on making the Consumer Reports least reliable motorcycle.

Consumer Reports Reveals Most Reliable Motorcycles | RideApart

Last edited:
Basically looks like a lease. You wouldn't worry about the balloon payment if you trade it in at the end for a new model. The balloon payment is what they expect the value of the motorcycle to be at the end of the payments, so you are paying for the expected depreciation over the length of the payments. Where it differs from a lease is that you can't walk away at the end like a lease. You are on the hook for the balloon payment unless you trade it in.
That's pretty much what it is. Anyone that gets the 3asy financing for any other reason (to purchase but keep payments low) shouldn't be buying a BMW.

BMW sells a bike for $10,495?
They actually sell one for $7900 (the 650 GS). I've riden one and it wasn't bad. I dare say it would almost give the NC a run for the money if it were about $900 cheaper.

Slightly off topic but I presume everyone knows all 2014 BMW R1200RT bikes have been grounded. Like in "Don't ride it!"...
Hopefully BMW will have a fix in August or thereabouts...The "Do Not Ride" order effects about 8,000 motorcycles worldwide. Not a very good start for their new touring water-cooled twin...

I hope BMW can get a handle on this...Everything I read about that bike is suggests it really is a masterful touring machine and I wouldn't mind trying one when I get really wealthy ;-)
Holy crap! I've been looking at the redesigned RT and didn't know about this! Good to know (and now I'm researching).

Please tell me why BMW's are worth that kind of money? Granted...I have never owned one...and maybe they are good bikes...but that much better than a Honda? I have looked at the BMW's, sat on them, and heard them running. And to be honest they sound like (excuse my language)... shit!

No thanks BMW on your rip-off balloon deal. I'll just ride my paid for NCX for 100,000 miles. And congrats on making the Consumer Reports least reliable motorcycle.

Consumer Reports Reveals Most Reliable Motorcycles | RideApart
The same can be asked about whether or not BMW cars are worth the money. The new ones? No. Prices all across the board have inflated too high for my tastes (at least, for their cars). But I have to ask, have you actually ever ridden one? Riding one, particularly the R and the K bikes is intoxicating. The sound, speed, smoothness are wonderful. But as with any German, when they break, they are expensive (if not under warranty). That's the thing about Hondas - they are reliable, they are relatively cheap (to maintain and fix). But do they have soul?

I will tell a true tale from around 1983. I had a new 82 Suzuki Gs1100E and an occasional riding buddy bought a new 83 K100. My Suzuki was 4K (paid full msrp), I think the BMW was about $7500. One day the buddy asked if he could try the Suzuki. We traded bikes and he rode my bike from Benson to Sonoita while I rode his.

The first words he said were "I made a mistake buying the BMW".

Some of the issues, the K100 smoked! The engine was a longitudinal 4 that tilted down when the bike was on the side stand, oil would drain past the rings. The engine vibrated, if you were used to an R100 it was smooth. If you rode any of the Japanese 4's you would think it was pretty crude. The K bike had good performance, the Suzuki was much faster. He had some other minor issues, his dealer fixed most things under warranty (it always smoked when first started). He did have the prestige of owning a BMW.

ed

PS This last year I ended up selling 3 bikes, the GS1100Ez from this story and an RE5 and RD350

Back