• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bluetooth

tew47

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried the Bluetooth earplugs that fit around the ear. I also typed in motorcycle ear buds and got speakers that fit in your helmet that connect to your Iphone. I would like to be able to answer the phone while riding. Any inexpensive ideas? The speakers are $40.

I don't know the product you mean - sort of a hands free device?

I use the Sena SMH5 Bluetooth intercom - links to phone, bike navigation system (as long as the nav has the motorbike Bluetooth) and also can work as an intercom to other headsets - I think they were about $65 to 70 a piece.

There are one or two threads on the subject of Bluetooth, intercoms etc.

With the Bluetooth do you have to press buttons to answer the phone? Wearing a full face helmet makes that kind of hard to do. What bluetooth do you recommend?

The main unit sits on the outside of the helmet usually. The Sena has voice control to answer. One button controls intercom & music play back another button the phone.
You can check out the products on the manufacturers' web sites. Can't remember the Sena URL but you can find them if you google their name - you'll find a few ore if you search here for intercom, Bluetooth or similar. Try SMH10 - that's one of the most popular units, a bit more powerful than the SMH5

The SMH10 also usually gets software updates ahead of the SMH5 (which just happened this week). Since I don't like speakers competing with earplugs, and I refuse to ride without them, I ended up with custom ear-speakers built into earplugs and bought the wired adapter for the SMH10 to plug them in. I am still wireless from the helmet to the bike. I find I can listen comfortably at lower volume levels and with better fidelity. I would not go to the trouble just for cell phone answering, but for music it is the cat's whatevers.

As far as bluetooth earplugs, I'd only say beware of non-motorcycle specific (or at least specifically adapted) equipment as it almost universally disappoints. The motorcycle environment (whether for clothing or electronic gear) is so demanding and specific that direct adaptation for the purpose is usually needed. A humorous example would be having to drill a hole in your helmet so you can push the "answer" button.

As someone stated, most of the newer motorcycle Bluetooth intercom systems are voice activated. With Iphone siri almost everything is done by voice commands. But even with gloves on the buttons, once you get use to them, are not hard to touch. Bluetooth intercom systems have come so far in the last two years.

I thought I posted about this already, well here's my two cents. I have a Bluetooth unit, I enjoy listening to tunes from the 70's while I ride ( Freebird, Born to be Wild, etc..). Bluetooth devices rely on batteries, no bluetooth device I have found to date will last more than about 4 hours of continous play. Dang I can't even get out of the state in 4 hours. So the only altertnative presently is to go directly plugged in either to a power supply for the bluetooth or to the sound jack if your using a single source such as me. Galaxy S4 for music, phone calls, and gps, and weather radar. The problem I have with that is sooner or later the earbud will loosen up in my helmet. Need to find a better way!

As a side note - was surprise to hear Old Can even knew what Bluetooth was! :cool:

Last edited:
In the $40 range, in helmet speakers are probably your best bet. An on ear headphone will not work with a helmet and in ear headphones (ear buds) tend to fall out while you're riding. Can you link the product you're looking at?

I get ten or eleven hours easily, but I use a model designed for walking-around use, not one made for motorcycles. The disadvantage is that I have to clip it to my jacket instead of it being stuck on the side of my helmet.

I've never managed to run the Sena battery down yet. Looks like it's good for 10 to 12 hours minimum based on battery state after 8 hours' continuous use

zumo 550, Kennedy box, j&m head set and mic. , iphone works perfect but not worth the money. blue tooth not loud enough and batt. goes dead to fast.

I have handlebar mounted 12 volt outlet. My phone and my Bluetooth handlebar mounted can all be plugged in to this on power device at once with correct plugs. Everything is a full charge at all times, no time limit, just run forever!

Bluetooth devices rely on batteries, no bluetooth device I have found to date will last more than about 4 hours of continous play.

Not sure which ones you've tried, but I get at least 6 hours out of my Sena SMH10 headset before recharging. I'm not actually sure how long the battery lasts because I commute 6 hours every week and charge at the end of the work week.

I should note that I also run the volume to the helmet speakers at max because I wear earplugs and need full volume to hear the music. I'm sure running max volume requires more battery power than lower volumes, so riders that don't wear earplugs could get even more run time than me.

After 3 weeks of use, I've been very pleased with the R4 Easy-Talkie. It's bluetooth, excellent sounding earpieces and has a wireless remote device on the handlebar that works very well - you can change volume and start/stop iTunes. And it's relatively cheap. Price is $69 + $25 shipping (very fast). They also have two- and three-unit sets for bike-to-bike communications.

I find I'm changing the volume 3-5 times a ride on my short commute so it's great not to have to fiddle with a helmet control. I haven't tried voice/siri yet. I haven't ridden longer than 3 hours so I don't know what the battery life is, but at least 3 hours. My solution to possibly running out of juice on a long ride would be to plug it into my little bamboo solar rechargeable power reserve that I would keep in my jacket.

Here's the link to the R4 on Ebay.
1x R4 Easy Talkie Bluetooth Helmet Intercom BT Interphone with Hi Fi Speaker | eBay

Here's a link to pics and initial impressions previously posted on the forum:
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-general-discussion/3122-helmet-speakers.html#post57386

Here's a link to the solar charger:
Amazon.com: Triple C iSolar Backup-Caramel Bamboo: Cell Phones & Accessories

Back