• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bluetooth intercom sets: Which ones and why?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Hi all
I am in the hunt for a set of Bluetooth intercom set.
I was recommended the Cardo system (G2 or G4).

I want to do
biker-to-pillion,
biker to BT phone
biker to BT music
biker to biker
etc

Anyone care to comment what is out there?

~Joe
:D

I have a Cardo and it is OK. I don't use it much as I ride motorcycles to get away from people not to stay in touch. However, most reviews I have read rated the Sena SMH10 v2.1 as the one to beat.

I have been researching these also. The more I read about them, the more confused I am. It seems like you may spend thousands of dollars to be unsatisfied.

I haven't spent thousands,but I have never bought one I liked. I have the Cardo and I once had the Schuberth built-in that was attached to a helmet that wasn't comfortable for me. OK, if you count the cost of the Schuberth helmet, I did spend thousands but I got some of it back when I sold it. Sound levels are dangerous enough already without piping in more. The only safe way that I have found is with custom fitted earbud speakers. But most of these don't have a 2.5mm stereo connector for earbuds. You have to cut their speaker wires and install one that then dangles and gets damaged.

I would rather let others be the guinea pigs when it comes to expensive items. I haven't seen any stellar reviews that would sway me to spend up to $700.00.
If I spend that kind of money, it better be clear and audible. So far my ear plug style speakers keep the wind noise out and the music in, at a low volume.

Hi,

the G9 single piece cost like US$200-250 depending on the site and conditions.
Remembering those days of the Sony Walkman, where it cost the equivalent of say US$500 for the first model (say US$200, 30 years back), I'd say this BT device is DIRT CHEAP.

The G9 (if I am not wrong), is one of the best and tested by bikers (not just sites who want to sell, like the SMH10 from Sena). Scala is the most successful BT intercom company (globally) for the last 5 years?

The more I read, the more I am convinced this is the one.
Some of my biker friends here also have the G series, which means I can link up with them while going for a spin.

It is not thousands USD anymore, more like a couple of hundred. Compared to walkman, iphone or schubert helmets, this is small change.

It can enable you to
1. listen to your BT-enabled music
2. BT phone
3. Intercom with pillion or other bikers (1 mile radius)
4. listen to your BT GPS system voice instructions
5. Fry a pancake in the morning... (just kidding).

Look I am convinced by myself! It MUST be good.!
:p

I just left the Honda shop and one of the salesmen gave the G4 a thumbs up. He said he hasn't used the G9 yet, but if its better than the G4 than its got to be good.

I have a Sena SMH 10 and the phone and intercom work great. It has trouble pairing to my Zumo 550 and iphone so I turn Bluetooth off of my gps and only pair it with the phone. This past summer I rode with a friend that also has a Sena and the intercom was very useful. There is a slight delay when pushing to talk that you have to get used to when riding.

I talk to people on the phone and they can't believe I'm doing 75 mph down the interstate. I wear Hearos ear plugs when riding and the volume is sufficient if I move the windscreen up a little.

I can recommend the Sena. I paid about 150 USD from Amazon for the unit and it fits my Shoei Multitec. I did have to remove the chin guard to accomodate the microphone. It also takes some getting used to the mic hitting the corner of my mouth when riding as there isn't much clearance between your mouth and the helmet.
Hope this helps,
Mike

Can different manufacturer i.e. Cardo and Sena work together as an intercom? Is there a standard protocol to communicate or it is brand specific?

Can different manufacturer i.e. Cardo and Sena work together as an intercom? Is there a standard protocol to communicate or it is brand specific?

No, I believe it's brand specific. There was another guy in our group last summer with a Cardo and we couldn't figure out how to pair his to our Senas. Neither of us had our user's manual so I'm not 100% sure it can't be done, but I think I remember hearing others talking about it around a campfire somewhere.
Mike

I have the Sena SMH5 and love it. Pair it with my Razr Maxx and stream Pandora all day. Even with my earplugs in, it still has plenty enough volume to be heard at high speeds. I tested out the phone functionalty with it and at 65 mph my wife had no idea I was talking to her while riding my bike. (I have never done it since then...but I HAD to test it! :p )

I have done quite a bit of research and just got the Sena SMH10-11. Looks like that's the one to beat at the moment. Also one of the few that supports bluetooth 3.0.

Sena SMH10-11 Universal Bluetooth Headset Dual Pack - RevZilla

Make sure you get the -11 version as that one comes with a universal mount that will allow you to connect it to two different types of microphones depending on which one works best with your helmet. Super important if you helmet has a sun visor on the side.

They also offer a mounting plate accessory that allows you to connect your own earbuds: http://senabluetooth.com/products/acc_SMH-A0304.php

I'm really picky when it comes this technology and I honestly think this is the one to get as of right now.

Last edited:
It can enable you to
1. listen to your BT-enabled music
2. BT phone
3. Intercom with pillion or other bikers (1 mile radius)
4. listen to your BT GPS system voice instructions
5. Fry a pancake in the morning... (just kidding).

Look I am convinced by myself! It MUST be good.!
:p

A zumo will do all but #3. Although I don't take phone calls while I ride I can.

You would be hard-pressed to find a motorcycle communicator that works with another brand of communicator. They all have their own proprietary frequencies.

Kevin

You would be hard-pressed to find a motorcycle communicator that works with another brand of communicator. They all have their own proprietary frequencies.

Kevin

Thanks, now I know. Looks like we all have to always 'stick' with group of riders who have the same brand of communicator...:( Wouldn't it be nice if we can just pair with anyone one we like using common standard like Bluetooth

Thanks, now I know. Looks like we all have to always 'stick' with group of riders who have the same brand of communicator...:( Wouldn't it be nice if we can just pair with anyone one we like using common standard like Bluetooth

I know... It would be a great thing. I expect it is a long way off though. I use my mainly for music, phone, and directions though. It has changed riding for me. I've actually been able to do a little work while riding. Now tell me that is not awesome!

Kev

The best current standard is probably GMRS radios. Sena has a SR10 bluetooth hub that will pair both a phone and a two way radio into any Bluetooth headset.

Back