• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Blue led on instrument...

Markino

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all,
is it possible to change the leds of the instrument from white to blue?
Someone has some technical info?

------------------------------------------------

News on 16/11/2012:

Hi guys, yesterday I made the mod!
I've swapped the white leds inside the instrument with the blue ones and everythink goes ok so now I'm riding my NC with blue instrument! ;)

Here there are some pics:

In red the place where the leds are soldered. In the upper right there are the std leds and in the up side the new blue leds...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b3v5mdztummzxy3/IMG_0457_2.jpg

What you will get after mod:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yewlflecrh0fclp/IMG_0466.JPG

The spec of the blue leds (9 leds required) is: LB A673-L2N1-35

NJY! ;)

Last edited:
Anything is possible given enough $. There are several guys on the vfr board that have changed theirs form the stock orange. There are companies that will switch led colors to whatever you want. I don't have any off the top of my head but google would be able to help.

I'd say not likely. The display LED's are soldered onto the combination meter printed circuit. You might fix some colored gel in front of them if it is something that is really important to you.

That is how I either learn something or break something. And even if I break something, I learn something. So, it is win-win. Eventually the beast holds no more secrets.

Believe it or not, all of this has a dual purpose for me. One is that I am a retired (retarded?) engineer who became a tinkerer before he could walk upright...

[video=youtube_share;CmYDgncMhXw]http://youtu.be/CmYDgncMhXw[/video]

Secondly, my main love of and use of motorcycles is traveling to deserted places. The solitude of such places is calming to me. I would rather ride to the site of the Chernobyl disaster to see the abandoned town of Prypiat than to ride the streets of Paris. If it is a short trip I take the car. Because of this, I really, really need to know the machine inside and out. That is why I am so excited about what promises to be a reliable machine that only asks for small quantities of low quality gas.

But when the machine goes Pffft! and stops halfway between Nowhere and B.F. Egypt, it is nice to be able to say: "Hmmm. sounds like the flux capacitor."

EB Enterprises 121G - Flux Capacitor | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Because out here, who ya gonna call?

0where.jpg
0where2.jpg0where3.jpg

Last edited:
Believe it or not, all of this has a dual purpose for me. One is that I am a retired (retarded?) engineer who became a tinkerer before he could walk upright...
Secondly, my main love of and use of motorcycles is traveling to deserted places. The solitude of such places is calming to me. I would rather ride to the site of the Chernobyl disaster to see the abandoned town of Prypiat than to ride the streets of Paris. If it is a short trip I take the car. Because of this, I really, really need to know the machine inside and out. That is why I am so excited about what promises to be a reliable machine that only asks for small quantities of low quality gas.

But when the machine goes Pffft! and stops halfway between Nowhere and B.F. Egypt, it is nice to be able to say: "Hmmm. sounds like the flux capacitor."

EB Enterprises 121G - Flux Capacitor | O'Reilly Auto Parts

Because out here, who ya gonna call?

View attachment 564
View attachment 565View attachment 566

But what if it was the canooter valve that broke?
That can be very hard repair in the field!

Dang Lee... I've always wanted to visit Chernobyl. After the seat estimate, I need to look up shipping chargers to central/eastern Europe!

As far as the LEDs, I swapped out all the orange ones from my Tundras instrument cluster and AC panel with white. A little patience with the soldering iron and a swift study hand, and it's fairly simple. Assuming you can locate the LEDs that is.

I believe I found mine at Oznium.

Last edited:
Dang Lee... I've always wanted to visit Chernobyl. After the seat estimate, I need to look up shipping chargers to central/eastern Europe!

As far as the LEDs, I swapped out all the orange ones from my Tundras instrument cluster and AC panel with white. A little patience with the soldering iron and a swift study hand, and it's fairly simple. Assuming you can locate the LEDs that is.

I believe I found mine at Oznium.

Maybe you can help Markino find a source. I don't have the time to put in it right now. I am trying to get my work finished to get the bike back together in time for the suspension arrival. The LED's are different between this meter and auto dashboards. Standard 3mm and 5mm round LED's will not fit. Both of the surface-mounted LED's in the Oznium site are 180 degree lighting. These are PCB (surface) mounted, smaller, cube-shaped and have 90 degree output. They will have to be the same physical size as the original LED's to fit into a closely matched housing in the other half in order to shine into the meter area.

Last edited:
Forgot to ask.... is it simple to dismount the instrument? And what about the disassembly?

Many thanks Beemerphile! ;)

Forgot to ask.... is it simple to dismount the instrument? And what about the disassembly?

Many thanks Beemerphile! ;)

Not so bad a job if you are careful and a recipe for disaster if you are not. But what isn't? There are two bolts on each side of the combination meter support that must be accessed. After that, release and unplug the waterproof connector. Once you have the meter support in your hand, there are three shock isolation screws into the back of the combination meter. Be careful releasing the plastic screw bosses in the meter from the isolating rubber mounts. After that, there are nine screws to remove the back of the meter, and five more to remove the printed circuit board from the housing. The LED's are on the reverse side, soldered in from the side that is visible in this picture.

00instrument.jpg

I would recommend to search for a blue colored gel before replacing the diodes. I am not sure how it would be fitted, but it seems a simpler problem to solve than locating this specialized LED in a blue color. It may even be simpler to place a blue gel over the back of the display window. If you are not familiar with the material, here is an example:

Amazon.com: Norman CG-5 Color Gel Filter Pack with 7 High-Temperature 5" Square Filters.: Camera & Photo

I am not sure how much contrast you would get from blue LED's (or gel) against the grey/black of the panel face. It seems to me that you may make it more difficult to read, which I consider a too-high price for style.

But who am I , of all people, to question someone's motivation for changing a perfectly good motorcycle?

Back