• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Black Reflective tape (pictures)

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking for black reflective tape for my top box, and so far I've found the 3m variety in small amounts and big expense. I like 3m, but there must be another source....

I found [THIS], and I'll have night pictures of it up as soon as it arrives this week.
blacktape.jpg

I always bought by reflective tape from suppliers for truck companies, or from Amazon.

Just as a small tip, get the tape that has a high reflective angle, so no matter where the light comes from it always reflects back. The really cheap stuff normaly just works when light comes at it at close to 90°.

Black reflective tape on my old ST1300. It worked well! Camera flash lit it up white.

Tailbrights2.jpg

I have some 3M "ScotchCal" 1/4" tape I found on Amazon. It is NOT the same as the "Scotchlite" that 3M sells in sheets like on agia's bike. It does not reflect as brightly, but it still works, and looks pretty good. Ive had it on my bike since new, and it's still on there.

I'll see if I can find a link for it.

ETA: 3M Scotchcal Striping Tape, 1/4-Inch by 50-Foot, Black (79902) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010AUXPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_UPwhwb47770NM

Folks,

I buy the 3M black (or any available color) scotchlite in 24" wide rolls. If there is enough interest I'll buy a roll and cut it in 1", 2", 3", whatever strips and send it USPS. PM me or post public if interested with your needs and if there's enough interest I'll calculate some numbers and let you know.

I have some 3M "ScotchCal" 1/4" tape I found on Amazon. It is NOT the same as the "Scotchlite" that 3M sells in sheets like on agia's bike. It does not reflect as brightly, but it still works, and looks pretty good. Ive had it on my bike since new, and it's still on there.

I'll see if I can find a link for it.

ETA: 3M Scotchcal Striping Tape, 1/4-Inch by 50-Foot, Black (79902) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010AUXPQ/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_UPwhwb47770NM

Thanks.
I don't know why I did not come across that before. 50FT!!!! Cool.

pictures of the black reflective tape

OK... as promised, here are the pictures:

Here's the tape sitting on the table next to the computer in natural light.
tape1.jpg

Here's the tape stuck on the new top box I recently ordered.
Looks a lot like vinyl electric tape to me.
tape4.jpg

Here's the back end of my NC700X ("Mac" we call him).
the top most thin stripe is the black stuff. The rest is bright red tape you buy for trucks from Harbor Freight Tool stores.
tape2.jpg

taken at an angle, the black tape doesn't do as well as the bright red stuff... no kidding!
Is it worth it? I would say yes. It looks to be well made and might last the 7 years it claims to.
(I hope you enjoyed the photos and the gen. info on the tape.)
tape3.jpg

I did some more googling and found [THIS]
This is the real 3M stuff, and the site has it in just about any color, size, you want to order.

40 ft of it at 1" wide is $20 with tax and shipping.
il_570xN.734616667_14sn.jpg

Be aware that I found the tap would not stick to the OE side luggage. It has a textured surface and the water would work it way under and lift the tap after a period or time.

True. I originally wanted to put mine on the flat black body panels, but it wouldn't stick, so I ended up with black stripes on my silver body work.

If you guys want some good stuff I recommend Reflexite. The silver SOLAS is as reflective as they come and is rated for several years of stickiness.

Instead of black, I opted for yellow because I want to be seen during the day as well as the night. I look pretty goofy but I'm looked at which is what matters.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 219
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 239
Just for fun...

I found out that the ULine tape really likes sticking to leather. It's amazing how well it adhers to the textured leather.

with flash and without flash...here goes...

20151020_213131_Linalou Ranch Rd.jpg20151020_213044_Linalou Ranch Rd.jpg

20151020_213143_Linalou Ranch Rd.jpg20151020_213100_Linalou Ranch Rd.jpg

20151020_213151_Linalou Ranch Rd.jpg20151020_213111_Linalou Ranch Rd.jpg

In the "advanced" editor, these with/without flash shots are side by side....lets see if they stay that way.

Back