• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Black leather Motorcycle Jacket

I find that really hard to believe, about the made to fit stuff. Maybe you guys just have horribly misshapen bodies, but I have a second hand Alpine Star jacket that fits fine, and it's made of leather, and it very obviously wasn't custom made to fit me.

Now if any article of clothing is made poorly enough, it won't fit any normal sized person, but my hope is that the Chinatown special will fall somewhere in between made-so-poorly-it-only-fits-mutants, and custom-made-to-fit-my-body-like-the-suit-on-that-gimp-guy-in-pulp-fiction. Between the hundred bucks I paid and the thousands you could pay, I think there's a fair amount of breathing room, no pun intended.

I have a question, though, for those of you guys saying you prefer textiles: do they make textiles that offer as much protection as leather? I was always told they do not, but if I was misinformed I'll be happy to save a cow or two leave the leather behind. As someone else said, I feel a little silly wearing a black leather jacket on a brand new Japanese utility bike.

Last edited:
I have leather Scorpion brand jacket that is my go to in cold weather. I do feel it is very heavy to wear though. Keeps me warm though. It was a close out and very thick leather with armored elbows, shoulders and back pad that keeps me feeling safe, if encumbered. Too big for me really, XL should have gotten an L. It was a closeout from then "New Enough" now motorcyclegear.com. It was $170.

I find that really hard to believe, about the made to fit stuff. Maybe you guys just have horribly misshapen bodies, but I have a second hand Alpine Star jacket that fits fine, and it's made of leather, and it very obviously wasn't custom made to fit me.

Now if any article of clothing is made poorly enough, it won't fit any normal sized person, but my hope is that the Chinatown special will fall somewhere in between made-so-poorly-it-only-fits-mutants, and custom-made-to-fit-my-body-like-the-suit-on-that-gimp-guy-in-pulp-fiction. Between the hundred bucks I paid and the thousands you could pay, I think there's a fair amount of breathing room, no pun intended.

I have a question, though, for those of you guys saying you prefer textiles: do they make textiles that offer as much protection as leather? I was always told they do not, but if I was misinformed I'll be happy to save a cow or two leave the leather behind. As someone else said, I feel a little silly wearing a black leather jacket on a brand new Japanese utility bike.

When I was knocked of my deauville by a woman driver who drove straight onto a roundabout without looking I was wearing textile jacket and trousers which did the job and I was able to get up and walk away with just bruising. Both trousers and jacket had body armour included. I often compromise by wearing textile jacket with leather trousers. I'm not sure that textile would offer as much protection as leather in a high speed fall and I really don;t want to find out

Rocker, I would love a Lewis Leather jacket. I know they're brilliant, but the price is a little scary... At present I have a lovely quality Frank Thomas black leather jacket. (very heavy). It's a pity Frank Thomas are no more. :(

Hi sir,
I am sure those who paid for made-to-measure need to defend their purchase. I never had one, so maybe I am just ill-informed.
Same story about heat grips.
I am sure they enjoy their purchases, so lets not burst their bubbles.

Regarding your question about protection.
Unless you are going at racing speeds (say over 100mph) in corners, you do not need the "best" leathers.

Of course if money is no object, everyone will be making custom leather jackets and suits.
However these are very expensive and also very heavy and even "smelly and hot" on a hot summer day.
Textiles do not have the advantage of being able to slide as well as a cow's hide.
Some Cordura materials actually will melt into your skin if they are heated up sufficiently.

That is why racing people wear leathers, they slide well.
They slide to safety.
If you hit a tree, no leather nor textile will save you.

If I were you, I will ride sensibly (speed wise) and buy weather-sensitive protected riderwear.
Leather or not, it depends on the price, quality and reason to wear them.
Fully suited up leathers is the norm in Switzerland and Europe.

Me? I wear my black leather jacket (no inserts nor anything) and my Dainese pants (textile). I also own and wear a airflow BMW textile jacket in the summer. It is way cooler (I mean temperature). Do I need protection? You bet!
Do I need leathers? I think not.
:p

Ride safe!

PS: You do not save cows by NOT buying a leather jacket. They end up as Sofas... :p

As you admit that you havn't worn made to measure leathers hoe can you possibly know whether they feel better or not. At the moment I have 2 leather jackets and 2 pairs of leather trousers. IOne set is an off the peg item from Rev - it which are excellent value for the money. The others are made to measure by scott leathers. This puts me in a good position to compare and I can assure you that the feel of the made to measure feel more "right" just as a tailor made suit compares with an off the peg item
As the saying goes "If you haven't tried it don't knock it"

Any made-to-measure clothes will surely FIT better. No argument there.
Does one need/want to have one made-to-measure leather jacket for motorcycling?
That is a really tricky question.

It is all down to many personal factors including budget, riding style and safety risk tolerance.

I don't think I need one, not now, but do I want one?
For the right price and right occasion, hell yes!

No one is knocking any people for spending money in a way in which they derive pleasure and joy.
I say this as honestly and as respectfully (friendly) as possible in this text-based communications platform.

I could be badly mistaken but...
Please stop looking for fish-bones in my broth. Thank you.
:)

Last edited:
No you don't need tailor made leather items but then you don't nneed any type of protective clothing but I personally would not want to ride without it
It was your comment "I am sure those who paid for made-to-measure need to defend their purchase." that made me post my view on tailor made jackets

Just this very day I picked up a JPS Norton leather jacket from a charity shop,for the pricey sum of £25,,,,,o man* I am over the moon !!!!! * or woman or other

Back