• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Bike holding too high idle speed (2k)?

Taipan

Reaction score
Visit site
Last week after riding home from work, I stopped at a junction and the bike was pulling forward, like I was holding the throttle partly open? It wasn't a struggle and the brakes easily held it, but I could feel the bike pulling forward? I pulled into a garage to get petrol and as I stopped at the pump, it was trying to pull forward again. I couldn't select neutral so just turned it off. After filling up with fuel, it started normally and rode home okay.

The next morning I started it up and it sat at 2k revs, which is much higher than normal. At these revs it wont let you select a gear, so I let it warm a bit and snapped the throttle open a couple of times and eventually the revs dropped and I was able to get it into gear and ride to work. I came here in S mode, giving it an Italian tune up wherever possible. It seemed fine at every stop, just idling normally.

The throttle action is smooth and snaps shut, so it definitely isn't that sticking. It first did it after I'd ridden 30 miles on the highway so the engine was good and warm and the next time it did it was first start of the day, and even cold, it has never idled that high before? Anyway, that was over a week ago now and its been fine ever since. So I don't have the problem anymore, but wondered if anyone else has had this problem or know what the cause may have been?

This happens to me occasionally when coming to a stop - it bucks a little and I have to give it more brake. At first, I found that the Grip Puppies I installed had shifted a bit to cover the bar end weight and bind a bit - I fixed that, but it happened a few times after that. I have attributed it to me not fully closing the throttle, but I am not sure. I have never experienced it sticking at 2k RPM once I made sure the throttle was fully closed.

Back