• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Big Boy shock for plush ride to save my herniated disc

HondaNc700

Reaction score
Visit site
I see all the shock posts which seem more about performance. Any big boys(I'm 250lbs 6'4) install a shock for plush ride to float over bumps better. In the short time I've owned the bike my spine is screaming at me from an old severe herniated disc injury from a few years ago.

not trying to turn my nc700x into a track bike or dragon slayer- just comfortable around town buzzer

Last edited:
I don't know if anything will help with a herniated disk short of one of those huge 2-wheelers like Gold wings.
The NC is a fairly light bike and acts like it on the road.

I see all the shock posts which seem more about performance. Any big boys(I'm 250lbs 6'4) install a shock for plush ride to float over bumps better. In the short time I've owned the bike my spine is screaming at me from an old severe herniated disc injury from a few years ago.

not trying to turn my nc700x into a track bike or dragon slayer- just comfortable around town buzzer
If you haven't already done a seat mod you should try that first. It is amazing how much difference the showkey slope mod made for me. I didn't think it would help much because I didn't have the sliding forward problem that others have. What it did for me, instead, was almost eliminate the severe pain I was having.

i put the cbr 600 shock on my girlfriends bike because her back is like yours, with your weight I would think you need a custom shock. maybe works or someone like that

I would look into a wilbers shock for a smooth ride. I bought one from Ted Porters BMW in California for another bike. Ted asked questions like how much I weigh, what speeds I ride, what type of riding, how often a passenger, etc. It took a month to finally get the shock. I can't explain in words the smoothness of the ride.

I would look into a wilbers shock for a smooth ride. I bought one from Ted Porters BMW in California for another bike. Ted asked questions like how much I weigh, what speeds I ride, what type of riding, how often a passenger, etc. It took a month to finally get the shock. I can't explain in words the smoothness of the ride.

I agree completely. Talking to a suspension expert about what you are looking for is the answer. Even performance shops like Race Tech will happily build you a smooth plush system that will amaze you. Don't forget to get the correct fork springs too. You may also want to consider a new valving option for the forks as well, as they will feel like crap once you have the back end cured.

A few extra dollars spent on a custom suspension will make you much happier, and in the long run may be cheaper than trying to mix and match off the shelf parts.

Back