• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best winter over pants?

I used Joe Rocket Ballistic 4.0 pants for 7 or 8 years and they were nice and warm. I had to re Nikwax them every other year or so to keep the crotch waterproof, and the bottom of the leg is wide enough that I usually wore gaiters with them to keep the draft out. I don't know how the current Joe Rocket pants compare, but they would likely be a safe bet. I replaced them this year with Aerostich Transit pants and couldn't be more happy. They are warm, completely waterproof and fit like a glove, while offering more protection and keeping the armor where it should be. The Transits aren't quite as warm as the Joe Rockets, but they are warm enough to do the job in Portland, Oregon winters down to freezing or just below.

What are you guys using? My ski pants don't get the job done. Need the warmest possible with armor on the knee cap.

Personally, what I do is this:

-Use specific thermal longjohns designed to be warm and have the ability to wick sweat away. (ie: polypropylene "smart" fabrics, or Marino wool, etc.)
-same with socks (I presently use Alpinestar thermal tech socks winter/coolmax socks summer)
-windproof and waterproof overpants (I use Aerostich AD-1's)
-removed the OEM knee armour that came with the AD-1's and instead wear these under the pants:

TITANPROKNEE.jpg

Can't really get better knee/shin protection, and they do double duty for keeping your knees warm.

Along with using these boots, my lower half is toasty warm in well below freezing temps. :)

sidi_adventure_gore_main.jpg

I still have my Fieldsheer Booster Pants now for about 8-10 years. The best pants I've had in all my 27 years of riding. I used to use one-piece riding suits before that. A shame that they discontinued them some time ago. I think that the Mercury 2.0 Pants replaced them, I also think that those have been discontinued too.

Last edited:
I still have my Fieldsheer Booster Pants now for about 8-10 years. The best pants I've had in all my 27 years of riding. I used to use one-piece riding suits before that. A shame that they discontinued them some time ago. I think that the Mercury 2.0 Pants replaced them, I also think that those have been discontinued too.

I actually have a Fieldsheer one piece winter suit that I have not tried. It's so heavy and bulky. The thing weighs 10 pounds. Maybe I'll give it a try.

I actually have a Fieldsheer one piece winter suit that I have not tried. It's so heavy and bulky. The thing weighs 10 pounds. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Sounds like you had the solution the whole time. I used to wear my riding jacket under the one-piece at the time. I would only need it in the early morning or after dark in the winter months in California's Antelope Valley.

It weighs ten pounds because it works!

I have Sliders pants with armour and insulated/rain proof liner. That by itself is great but I also have the "Freeze Out" knee wrap thingies. With a good base layer, I have no cold problems on the bottom side. Working on the top!

When it gets cooler I wear long johns and a pair of pull over pants.they are the same thing runners use after a race.thin layer of insulation and wind protection. They do the job for me until it gets really cold.

Flannel lined jeans under Olympia Ranger 3 overpants with liner. Good to 30 degrees without heated liners

I must be numb to the cold because all I used all last winter was my Firstgear Kathmandu pants without the liners. The D30 armor in the knees seemed to keep my knees good. I rode in many days at 20F and never felt the need to add the pants line that come with them. If I had added the liner I would have been able to easily handle temps under 20F. My neck and hands are another questions.

I must be numb to the cold because all I used all last winter was my Firstgear Kathmandu pants without the liners. The D30 armor in the knees seemed to keep my knees good. I rode in many days at 20F and never felt the need to add the pants line that come with them. If I had added the liner I would have been able to easily handle temps under 20F. My neck and hands are another questions.

I have the same pants and like them. With heated jacket liner I am good with no liner in pants down to low 40s and below freezing with liner that comes with pants. No leaks when riding in the rain so far.

Back