• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best Earplugs?

Has anyone tried taking apart a set of Bose or other noise suppression headsets and sticking the earphone parts in a helmet? Maybe the sirens could still get through?

earplugstore_2264_104483726.jpgFoam plugs and ears are highly variable. I recently bought 10 prs at Walmart that do not expand enough in my right ear. I've always been tempted to buy a sampler kit from here Ear Plug Assortment Packs - Ear Plugs to find the very best one for me, but most foam plugs work well enough for me (a few extra firm ones hurt). I have rather sensitive ears and picked up the earplug habit in the '70s.

By the way, foam earplugs are reusable. When they stop working well (easy to tell because they no longer act like memory foam and re-expand too quickly after rolling down prior to insertion), a quick wash with soap and water usually brings them back. Even though I'm a heavy earplug user (I even used them in the car on occasion - no AC and windows open), a bottle or a box of earplugs lasts a couple of years. I often use earplugs for sleeping too as I'm a light sleeper.

Everyone is different and maybe you should try them, but I don't find that style to be comfortable for very long.

I have bought the No-Noise ear plugs and it is worth it. Compared to the Hearos I used these allow me to hear what is going on around me but it still blocks the wind noise. So now I can even have a conversation without lip reading with the ear plugs in :p

NoNoise Motorsport Hearing Protectors

Beemer turned me on to these:

View attachment 5465 View attachment 5464

I use them for my morning commute to listen to NPR/traffic. Use them on longer rides to listen to podcasts on my iPhone. Guess you could use them with a mic to take calls, but I'm not interested in doing that. I even use them as just earplugs if I don't want to be distracted -- work just like the earplugs with strings attached to keep them together. Bought a 2nd pair and used them on a flight to Chicago last week to watch videos/movies on my iPad. Blocks out crying babies VERY well, but they caused me to miss the first beverage run. I keep a "throw down" set of the foam earplugs in case I forget the others:

Those look like Jam plugs plus. I have several pair of those. I like em! JAMPLUGS [Earplug Earphones] Hear Just What You Want! Sports Earphones

Plug Fones

DOG,Tell us more about the ear plugs that are in the picture! I have a pair just like them, only they are just ear plugs.

Stupid name and kinda expensive, but they work great:

Plug Fones at Amazon

These look like a bit of a re-design from the ones I have as they have a right-angle mini plug.

They are pretty tough too. I've accidentally ripped them out of my ears more than just a few times when not paying attention and pulling off my helmet.

WELL worth the $20 IMHO!

(For Me) IMHO
I dont really see the need for earplugs, the bike is so quite now, plus...and most importantly I want to be able to hear a car horn, someone slaming on car brakes or 911 issues....But... If I install a loud muffler then maybe, just maybe.

Your typical Howard Leight foam earplugs that you can buy by the thousand are fantastic for noise reduction. They're not so fantastic for fit, nor are they for comfort.

The best choice, by far, is a custom set from Ear Inc. I use their "iPlugz" (which you can see here: Earinc/Insta-Mold - iPlugz® Sports Monitors - custom headphone stereo monitors for iPod, MP3 players and other audio devices. ), which are a custom molded NRR rated (28db) earplug that has a single sound monitor in each ear and a high quality twisted cord, with gold connector at the end. The monitor fits very close to the inner ear, so you don't need much volume on your iPod or whatever-device you use to still have nice sounding music. They also make a dual monitor earplug, which has two monitors in each earplug. They're not cheap, but they last forever... at $240. $300 for the dual monitors.

EarInc also makes just the custom molded earplug, without the monitor for substantially less. You go to the website, they'll send someone out to your house to make a mold of your ear, and about 2 weeks later you have a custom set of earplugs that fit you perfectly, consequently reduce sound better than any foam plug I've ever used, and in my case allow me to listen to music. You can pick any color for the plug and wire as well.

(For Me) IMHO
I dont really see the need for earplugs, the bike is so quite now, plus...and most importantly I want to be able to hear a car horn, someone slaming on car brakes or 911 issues....But... If I install a loud muffler then maybe, just maybe.

If you want to keep your hearing, you might want to consider changing your opinion:

Motorcycle Hearing Protection - Motorcycle Cruiser Magazine

Hearing loss in motorcyclists: occupational and medicolegal aspects

Ear Plugs & Motorcycle Riding - I Ride My Own

Motorcycles hazardous to your hearing - hear-it.org

It's not only the bike's noise you have to consider, but the wind noise too. I had my Plug Fones in and my radio on this morning at a stop sign, and still easily heard my cell ring in my pants pocket. Ear protection generally deadens sound, but doesn't eliminate it. I can also hear cars coming up behind me on the freeway. I would advise you to try out ear protection before deciding to go without it, but it's your hearing....

There's something I've not quite understood for some time now: Why do custom-fit earplugs not suppress noise as well as the cheap-y foam ones?

Last edited:
There's something I've not quite understood for some time now: Why do custom-fit earplugs not suppress noise as well as the cheap-y foam ones?

It is possible to have custom earplugs made with the same level of attenuation as the cheap foam items but that is not always the goal. Musicians want flat frequency response. Some uses require the ability to hear conversation. Some are vented to let air equalize. Some users only need mind attenuation. Customs are much more flexible in being designed to the specific task. If you want maximum sound attenuation in a custom, you can have them made deeper with more overmold on the exterior.

I use both kinds, but I wear customs for long trips because they are much more comfortable and it is easier to make sure they are properly installed. I hate starting out after a gas stop only to find that one of the disposable plugs is not seated properly. Or, you are riding down the road and one of them beaks seal because of sweat in your ear. The customs stay put. I have one set with ear speakers and one set without. Mine are 29NRR for the plain and 27NRR for the ear speakers.

I have been using these for years, not just for riding.

$7.87 at Walmart

They work great and are about .20 cents a pair. Cheap enough to throw away after one use. But you can reuse them if you are extremely poor :cool:

Why pay more? If they hurt your ears, you stuck them in too far. If they do not block noise well enough, you didn't stick them in far enough.

earplugs.jpg

It is possible to have custom earplugs made with the same level of attenuation as the cheap foam items but that is not always the goal. Musicians want flat frequency response. Some uses require the ability to hear conversation. Some are vented to let air equalize. Some users only need mind attenuation. Customs are much more flexible in being designed to the specific task. If you want maximum sound attenuation in a custom, you can have them made deeper with more overmold on the exterior.

Interesting! I've often noted the very non-flat attenuation figures on hearing protection packages. I've always thought it would be better to have more attenuation at low(er) freqs for impulse noise (small arms fire, etc), but I'm speculating that achieving a flatter attenuation 'curve' is more a function of reducing attenuation in middle to high freqs, as opposed to 'magically' obtaining more attenuation at low freqs. Do you know whether that's roughly correct?

I've struggled to find much info to read about protection from impulse noise. All the hearing protection stuff I seem to be able to get ahold of nearly universally says that impulse noise is different altogether and they (who/whatever the source of the document I'm reading is) expressly disclaim any applicability to it. Any pointers/direction?

Interesting! I've often noted the very non-flat attenuation figures on hearing protection packages. I've always thought it would be better to have more attenuation at low(er) freqs for impulse noise (small arms fire, etc), but I'm speculating that achieving a flatter attenuation 'curve' is more a function of reducing attenuation in middle to high freqs, as opposed to 'magically' obtaining more attenuation at low freqs. Do you know whether that's roughly correct?

I've struggled to find much info to read about protection from impulse noise. All the hearing protection stuff I seem to be able to get ahold of nearly universally says that impulse noise is different altogether and they (who/whatever the source of the document I'm reading is) expressly disclaim any applicability to it. Any pointers/direction?

Impulse and continuous noise are very different both in how they harm you and how to protect from them. Impulse noise can cause instantaneous mechanical injury to the ears. Continuous noise injures biophysically over a long period of time. Small arms impulse noise is not altogether a lower frequency. There are two elements to small arms noise: a) the exploding propellant sound waves, and b) the supersonic crack. The later is a high frequency. For impulse noise, such as handgun and rifle shooting, I prefer electronic muffs. One of my rifles even has a "muffler". When that is not feasible (like shotgun sports) I use 21-24 dB silicone plugs. Shotguns aren't as loud. Regarding acoustically flat attenuation, that is more by design. The "Christmas tree" style has flatter response than foam plugs but generally less weighted attenuation - good to wear at live concerts. It is not so much that they intentionally reduced the high frequency attenuation as it is that the design is less impactive on high frequencies.

For motorcycles, the issue is continuous noise. I think 29-31 dB is about the right level of attenuation for all-day riding. Remember that a 3 dB difference is a doubling of sound energy, so a little bit makes a difference. For shorter rides (commuting etc) a 24 dB plug is probably adequate. I don't keep a supply of separate lower dB plugs. For really annoying sounds like lawn equipment (chain saws, hydrostatic tractors, etc.) I use ear muffs over earplugs which gives a combined NRR of about 36 dB.

I shoot with a lot of guys with 'cans' on their rifles. They're super-nice, and I'd love to have a couple myself. However, the idiotic federal statute which makes them so ludicrously expensive prevents me being courteous to my neighbors and protective of all our hearing. Instead, I tend to use brakes on larger guns, which of course exacerbates the issue.

I agree with more protection for m/c noise and all-day rides. I look for 31 - 33 dB attenuation even though most all my riding is my commute. The bike and mostly the wind are loud enough when all alone at highway speed, but it's been surprising to me since moving to a megalopolis how VERY much louder the nearby traffic makes things.

Last edited:
I use shooting ear plugs, the ones with silicone mushroom ribs. I cut off the cord that holds them together and they work great.

I agree with more protection for m/c noise and all-day rides. I look for 31 - 33 dB attenuation even though most all my riding is my commute. The bike and mostly the wind are loud enough when all alone at highway speed, but it's been surprising to me since moving to a megalopolis how VERY much louder the nearby traffic makes things.

Agree. You don't have windows you can roll up. Even on a bike with an exhaust you cannot hear (i.e.: all of mine), there is still wind, and the truck beside you, and our brothers on loud bikes to contend with. In addition to hearing conservation, it makes a huge difference in concentration ability and just in how tired you feel at the end of the day. Plus you don't end up one day with tinnitus and wishing you had done differently years earlier. The people who say they don't need it because the bike is quiet will one day regret their decision. You have to remember that hearing damage from continuous noise is long term. At my business we tested annually and plotted the trends. Often when we put people in a hearing protection program they said they didn't need it because it wasn't uncomfortably loud. If you only protect your hearing when it is short term uncomfortable you will definitely suffer long term loss.

"You mean I'm losing my hearing? That's great Doc. I was afraid my stereo was crapping out!"

At my business we tested annually and plotted the trends. Often when we put people in a hearing protection program they said they didn't need it because it wasn't uncomfortably loud. If you only protect your hearing when it is short term uncomfortable you will definitely suffer long term loss.

We do the same at my facility, and there are a number of folks who provide essentially the same push-back.

Back