• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Best Earplugs?

netizen

Reaction score
nc700-forum.com
I used to wear ear plugs when I rode.. then after getting my Motocomm Riderlink ST I quit using them.

I think I can still use them while using the Riderlink, so I'd like to know which ear plugs everyone recommends?

I don't want to spend a great deal on them as I am prone to losing things.

If you can post a link with your favorite earplug that would be great.

Thanks

Ear plugs are ear plugs.
Unless you are buying those customised shaped to your ear holes type, then I propose just pop over to the Pharmacy / Drug store and buy those foam disposable ones. A set of 4 pairs cost like US$3?
You can discard them when they become too yakky.

Anything you pay extra, is for the packaging, the name and the holding canister.
:p

I ordered the foam plugs from a fellow member - not impressed at all. They work well for music, but not for riding (at least for me). ANd the way they are recommended to be inserted is - vertically - (unlike the regular plugs).

I use the common orange plugs from the CVS drug store (I am sure you'll find them everywhere) with noise blocking # 32, they have a certain shape to them.
The success of the earplug also has to do with the way you put it in your ear (as stupid as it sounds...).

Here is how I was taught to do it:
1. Roll the part of the ear plug that goes into the ear canal between your thumb and index finger (to make it thiner)
2. With the free hand - straighten the ear canal and insert the plug (how far depends on your ear - you'll have to experiment. Depth also proivides the level of noise suppression)
3. Hold the the plug in your ear until the part you've rolled expands in the canal.

Now... for #2 - Everyone is different. And the shape of ear canal varies a little for each. To straighten the ear canal one may need to pull on the htop of the ear, another - the middle, someone else the bottom. You have to find your own way.

Good luck and say -NO- to tinnitus!!!! It's a horrible ailment!

Last edited:
I agree proper insertion in your ear is the most important thing. I have seen so many people end up with damage to their ears because they use plugs properly so follow the directions. I get my plugs from work, they supply them so I use them. If you're prone to losing them find some that are connected together that's helps me. Lowes and Home Depot sell plugs by the box also google search for them and there are a ton of different styles and brands.

I use Hearos mainly because I had a box lying around the house. They are very effective and hold their position well. If worn correctly you will not hear the engine. I used to wear them on my scooter and it felt like I was riding an electric bike. I tried the corded variety that look like little fins but they were not effective and the cord around my neck would tug at the plugs and work them loose.

I like them so much I started using them at home when cutting the grass and using gas powered equipment instead of the large muffs I used to wear. If you ride every day you probably need to by them in bulk like Beemer suggested. I find a pair lasts about 5 rides before getting too grungy.

I use Hearos mainly because I had a box lying around the house. They are very effective and hold their position well. If worn correctly you will not hear the engine. I used to wear them on my scooter and it felt like I was riding an electric bike. I tried the corded variety that look like little fins but they were not effective and the cord around my neck would tug at the plugs and work them loose.

I like them so much I started using them at home when cutting the grass and using gas powered equipment instead of the large muffs I used to wear. If you ride every day you probably need to by them in bulk like Beemer suggested. I find a pair lasts about 5 rides before getting too grungy.

I also use Hearos. I am looking into something more permanent. Been looking at these:

NoNoise - New Generation Hearing Protection

2nd for Hearos Earplugs. I like them because I can wear them for 6-hour rides and they don't hurt. They dampen the sound. I can barely hear the engine, and you can still hear traffic noises ... the ones you need to hear like horns and sirens.
I was skeptical about ear pro and riding, but I wouldn't go on a long ride without it now.

Convenience: I like that ANY Walmart store has them, and they're cheap.

from the hearos site:
With a Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of 33, HEAROS Xtreme Protection ear plugs are perfect for blocking out unwanted or damaging noise. HEAROS Xtreme Protection ear plugs are perfect for sleeping, studying, attending concerts, traveling and participating and enjoying motor sports like NASCAR.
hearos-02826.jpg

Last edited:
I have several pairs of those moldable wax plugs. Bought them a couple-few years ago to try. I suggest people try them, but only buy 1 or 2 pair at most until you've given them an honest tryout/eval. I suggest this because they REALLY don't work well for me. They pop out as my head heats up inside the helmet over the course of a ride, or often just while I'm putting the helmet on, and even when they first go in the noise suppression is not as good for me as good foam plugs. I've used them while shooting, too, and the combination of heat and recoil knocks them out quite quickly. They also get nasty REALLY quickly, since they're naturally sticky anyway. I know they work well for many, but don't buy more than a pair or two until you try them out and see how well they work for YOU.

I prefer the foam plugs that stay compressed a little longer. Some of the Howard Leights are of this type. Happily, foam ear plugs are super-quick and super-cheap to try out until you find ones that work well for you.

I find it nearly impossible to ride much distance at all without some music or talk to listen to. I find that I drift off and don't pay attention. That being said, I love the etymotic ear buds for Db control.

After 5 years of wearing foam plugs I have only just discovered a way to guarantee QUIET :) Wet them with spit after you have rolled them. If they are new straight out of the packet you can wet them with your tongue, but if you insist on using used ones then just wet your fingers the wipe the rolled up plug. Try it - you will be amazed as the plug slides properly into the ear canal without bunching then expands perfectly to fill the space.
I too buy them 200 pairs at a time and I buy the soft green maxlite ones. Bliss
Mike

Thanks for all the great info. After extensive reading and comparison, I think I have decided on Howard Leight LL-30 Laser Lite Corded Foam Earplugs Box, 100 Pair - Amazon.com
Howard Leight LL30.jpg
I went with the corded ones (as Gigs suggested) because I know every time I take them out of my ears I'll lose at least one of them and the corded ones I can just let hang around my neck when I stop to eat and they will be hanging there ready when I am ready to ride on.
Thanks for all the great info. It helped a great deal!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info. After extensive reading and comparison, I think I have decided on Howard Leight LL-30 Laser Lite Corded Foam Earplugs Box, 100 Pair - Amazon.com

I went with the corded ones (as Gigs suggested) because I know every time I take them out of my ears I'll lose at least one of them and the corded ones I can just let hang around my neck when I stop to eat and they will be hanging there ready when I am ready to ride on.
Thanks for all the great info. It helped a great deal!

I often "hung" myself with such things.
:p
Careful now.

Beemer turned me on to these:

ear1-small.jpg ear2-small.jpg

I use them for my morning commute to listen to NPR/traffic. Use them on longer rides to listen to podcasts on my iPhone. Guess you could use them with a mic to take calls, but I'm not interested in doing that. I even use them as just earplugs if I don't want to be distracted -- work just like the earplugs with strings attached to keep them together. Bought a 2nd pair and used them on a flight to Chicago last week to watch videos/movies on my iPad. Blocks out crying babies VERY well, but they caused me to miss the first beverage run. I keep a "throw down" set of the foam earplugs in case I forget the others:

ear3s.jpg

Back