• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Be careful out there guys...

skeedaddle

Reaction score
Visit site
Took the NC out for a short trip to REI this morning. Damn near got took out by a cager...not once but twice. Teenage girl on a cell phone decided to make a left turn in front of a on-coming red NC700 (me) at 40 mph. I locked up the brakes, but was able to keep the bike up and get stopped. Same 2 lane road in a sharp left curve I'm in a slight lean and meet a cager mid turn with half her vehicle over the yellow line. I stand the bike up quick and hug the white line to avoid a head on. :mad:

Re-enforces the rule to "ride like we are invisible." Be safe out there!

Last edited:
Glad to hear you made it out safely. I always ride as if they either can't see me or better yet they are all TRYING to kill me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always good advice. I was on the freeway today just enjoying the ride and the weather cruising along at 75 or so. I was having such a good time that I momentarily lost concentration to merging traffic at the confluence of two freeways. It wasn't really a close call at all but it woke me up and reminded me to not get too blissed-out on the highway - or anywhere else for that matter.

Last year up in North Carolina I was happily going around the big curves (not really twisties) when a HUGE red truck was coming at me in my lane. He was passing in the curve.
It probably was only a normally proportioned truck but looked abnormally huge to me when coming at me. Obviously, I had enough room to get over because I'm typing right now.
It was a close call, though.

I'm glad you (OP) didn't get hurt!

Agreed, riding as though you are invisible to everybody is a good mindset to be in.

I believe winter riding is more dangerous because the sun is always lower in the sky, w/more glare to deal with. I've never read any stats on this though.
Also, when the sky is very clear and a bright sun I run high beams.

Driving/riding west directly into the sun near sunset has resulted in many accidents any where in the world.

Just read about this tonight after getting to work. Happened on one of the routes I take to work sometimes. Another example of how not riding safely can end you.

Search suspended for motorcyclist who fell off Antioch Bridge | Local News - Home

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

That is a crazy one. I've been in three major wrecks over the years and I'd be happy to never be in another one. You really can't afford to daydream while right. The moment you loose focus is usually the moment someone tries ot take you out.

People are way more inconsiderate and selfish. I have had more close calls last year, and what I've been able to ride this year, with idiots either pulling out in front of me, or turning left, or coming over the yellow line than in my previous years of riding put together.

There is no replacement for staying alert and possessing good motorcycle skills. We should all practice our skills on a regular basis and not just at the moment we need them. Quick stops and swerving (accident avoidance) skills that can save our lives. Thank goodness you weren't hurt.

There is no replacement for staying alert and possessing good motorcycle skills. We should all practice our skills on a regular basis and not just at the moment we need them. Quick stops and swerving (accident avoidance) skills that can save our lives. Thank goodness you weren't hurt.
I do try to practice avoidance maneuvers. I'll pick out something on the road like a manhole cover or a pothole, aim for it and then swerve around it at the last moment. It's good to make reactions as second nature as possible...a split second delay can make all the difference. I should probably practice braking a little bit more but I think I am too dependent on the ABS.

I dress like the glowing Michelin man. Full armor (no matter how hot it is), hyper yellow vest, air horn on the NC, reflective tape on forks and back of bags.

I've had people tell me they could see my vest 2 miles away.

This shit works folks.

You know its bad when someone that does not ride comes up to you to give you a warning. I was leaving the plant on Monday and it was raining. A fellow emplyee walked up to me and said "Be careful, more idiots come out in the rain". I thanked them and was on my way. It is true though. The worse the weather, the more you better watch out.

Back