• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

balancing beads

I have. Not that brand but the same thing.
In the front tire, hoping to make the "no hands shimmy" go away. It made it worse.

Not saying work or don't work.....BUT

All the balance beads are controversial to say the least. Many other forums have many threads with 1000's posts. Some say they are great, some say pure snake oil. There is tube video with a water bottle on the end of a drill ........some say that's a parlor trick.......... that has nothing to do with a motorcycle or car tire.

There are no manufactures of tires or vehicles that use or condone there use of beads or liquids.

There is only one independent test done by Motorcyle Consumer News a few years back......they found no actual improvement in balance and they found a slight adverse effect on handling.

There are no independent engineering studies that proves they work. There is paper from England that states the concept used on large rotating machines but the concept does not translate to vehicle tires ????? Some say the drums on washing machine use the concept to balance the tub in the spin cycle. Some say that concept is used to off set the wet clothes which is not anything like a tire on a car .

If you but beads in a tire and mount it on a high end spin balancer. The balancer will never show a balanced tire.

Some say if this work you could just add water to the tire and get the same results.......( except for the the corrosion). If you have ever driven a car with water in a tire, it is a smooth pleasant experience.

It does seem like it would make a great double blind study type test to check the theories......BUT.........for some reason no publications want to take on this project.

I am sure others will add to both sides of the controversy.

I have used Dynabeads before and they seem to work. The reason I wouldn't use them again is because if I have to plug my tire, I believe they would stick to it and ruin the balance.

Last edited:
I put dyna beads in another bike I had and could hardly keep it on the road. Finally took them out and the ride got a lot better.

I've used other beads, and ride on sealant on self mounted and roughly balanced tires. No undue vibrations up to 90mph.

I think this video from Centramatic wheel balancers demonstrates the concept best. Whether beads in a tire work as well, can't say for sure. You can see it takes a certain speed to kick in. Balancing machine probably doesn't spin fast enough.

http://youtu.be/ullnFQD4F1I

[Some say the drums on washing machine use the concept to balance the tub in the spin cycle. Some say that concept is used to off set the wet clothes which is not anything like a tire on a car.]

The clothes in my washing machine don't self-balance. If I just threw them into the tub without care, it'd create a wild out-of-balance situation where it would shake enough on the spin cycle to shut down the machine!

I've always used metal (lead-like) weights to balance new tires after mounting. It works every time. :)

Last edited:
If they worked so great, then why is no one using them at the race track? You'll find lots of regular, inexpensive static balance setups at every race track because it's proven technology that works. I understand that people are always looking for an easier way to accomplish a task, but proper balancing doesn't take long and it's proven to work at 200mph. What, your NC700 won't go 200mph?! :) LOL

BTW, I've mounted tires without balancing them in the past and they worked just fine. If I had added Dyna beads, then I suppose I would have been convinced that they work (but they really didn't do anything because they tire was okay to begin with). Same idea with people that are convinced that deer whistles stop deer collisions, but that's another whole controversial topic.

I have used basically the same principal in the past with semi truck tires. If they were not in balance when installed, the procedure was to spin the tire on the rim 180 degrees and retry it. If not in balance then break the bead off the rim and drop in 3-5 golf balls. It worked 95% to 99% of the time. I got to the point with steer tires, I would add 3 golf balls when mounting the tires the first time just to save time and work.

I use the ceramic balance beads in my motorcycle tires that I mount myself and have not had any problems. I commute 130 miles a day, 5 days a week, 52 weeks a year no matter the weather. I'm installing a new rear tire every 3 to 4 months or about 10,000 miles. Front tires are lasting about 20,000 miles.

Also have seen a dramatic decrease in deer crossing the road in front of me since installing a set of deer whistles. Instead of crossing the road, they tend to turn away from the road and head towards the woodline. The whistles probably won't prevent collisions, but likely will reduce them tremendously. They diffidently won't hurt.

BTW, I've mounted tires without balancing them in the past and they worked just fine. If I had added Dyna beads, then I suppose I would have been convinced that they work (but they really didn't do anything because they tire was okay to begin with).

Yes, that's a good point. My latest GL1800 front wheel was balanced as is - no weights needed. If one had added Ride-On or beads, the reaction might have been: Gee, this stuff really works! Well, maybe it just didn't make it any worse.

I use good old steel BBs in all my bikes. I have had the NC over 100mph with no vibration at all, and my cb900 up to 134mph - no issues.

The beads work IMHO.

I have the beads in the front tire of the VFR, it works pretty well. But I will be using Ride On from now on as it will also have the benefit of sealing puctures. I figure the Ride on does two things while the beads only do one, so may as well stick with Ride On.

Back