• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Avon storm 2

Those are good tires and should work very well on the NC. I know several people that run them on different bikes and they all say good things about them. Also, $275 is a pretty good price.

Try them. We need more people slapping different tires on their bikes so we can read the reviews.
Mike

I'm running these now. 8,500mi on the rear, still has life in it. Didn't square off as bad as the metzler, has stayed rubber down, but I'm not pushing the performance envelope. Seem to do well in the rain (all 4 days of it since I put them on). My dad has a set on his BMW now too, and he also likes them.
That does sound like a pretty good price for the set. I'd have to look it up but I think I paid a little more.
P.S. that new tire slip? Yeah. I was being careful and still almost went down on my way back from getting it put on. I would recommend some artificial roughening for the front if anyone puts these on.

Last edited:
This has been a while since the original posts on these tires. Wondering how the mileage ended up before replacing and if OP's were still happy with the tires? I found some for $279.00 a pair with free shipping from RockyMountainATVMC.com. Thinking about trying them.

I ended up getting 9,000mi out of my rear Storm 2 before it hit the wear bars. Compared to 8k with the original Metzler and at 7k and plenty of tread on the PR2 when I pulled it last weekend for a knobby switch. The front Storm 2 is still on the bike, Probably at 9,000 miles and still has tread, but looks like it's starting to cup (or thinking about starting to cup, or it could be my imagination?) and will be pulled off soon. My dad ran a set on his BMW and had to pull his due to cupping, too. That was at 11,000 miles, though, so still made them a low cost/mile tire for him.
I never had any handling issues with them, except one time hitting oil in a turn and just sidled over a few inches. Didn't have a problem in the rain, although other than traversing Oregon twice completely in the wet, I don't remember seeing much rain. The front tire did seem to make the handling less comfortable, if that makes any sense. Personally I'd go with the PR2 or PR3 if you can find them at around the same price.

Thanks for the quick reply! Have not found a set of PR2's for under $300. Pretty pricey but I have read good things about them. I will probably pull the trigger on the Avons since it is in my cost range, and the reviews have been good on the forum.

I ran a set of Avons on a cruiser in 1998 and remember getting good mileage on them.

Last edited:
Back