• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Audio Books/Old Radio Plays etc.- Anyone listen to them?

L.B.S.

Fixed Idea
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Or is this an old guy thing where it's been completely supplanted by "podcasts" (whatever those are, lol) and satellite radio subscription channels? :eek:

Never been a huge music/sports/politics/news/talk show kind of listener.

I mostly listen to science fiction/suspense/crime/mystery kind of themes, either on MP3 or audio CD, that have been purchased or borrowed from the Library.

ie:

Hercule Poirot
Sherlock Holmes
Nero Wolfe
Lawrence Block (the "Burglar" book series)
BBC Radio Plays Star Wars, War of the Worlds, Day of the Triffids, etc.
X-Minus 1
Twilight Zone
Johnny Chase: Secret Agent of Space
Robert Ludlum Bourne book series, Robert Ludlum Covert-One book series

Plus a zillion other misc old time radio plays from the 1930's and up to present day. I think I've purchased most of OTRCat's (Old Time Radio Play Catalog) listings, hahaha.

Somebody else must listen to these things, but you'd never know it, based on never meeting anyone who did :confused:

We listen to them on car trips. Can't hear well enough or I'd listen on the bike, too. Hubby prefers the audio versions whenever he "reads".
Some sci fi/fantasy I've enjoyed - Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles (warning, the third book of the trilogy has no release date), Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series, and Nathan Lowell's Trader Tales (this series is even free).

Last edited:
Or is this an old guy thing

Yes. ;) but it's still cool. :cool:

I mostly listen to science fiction/suspense/crime/mystery kind of themes, either on MP3 or audio CD, that have been purchased or borrowed from the Library.

Somebody else must listen to these things, but you'd never know it, based on never meeting anyone who did :confused:

Abso-frickin-lutely! I have an Audible account (there are others) but I like the option of being able to "link" it to an e-book so if it's a title/series I am super in to I can stop listening (while executing the honey-due list, chores, etc.) and switch over to that spot within the ebook when I'm just chillin. Pretty cool feature IMHO. Also syncs across devices/PC.

Listen to a lot of the same genres as well as ContemporaryFantasy/UrbanFantasy/paranormal (none of that vampire shit), thrillers, police procedurals, dectective.
3 of my favorite series:
Iron Druid Chronicles - Kevin Hearne
The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Jack Reacher - Lee Child

And a bunch of others...

Yes. ;) but it's still cool. :cool:

Abso-frickin-lutely! I have an Audible account (there are others) but I like the option of being able to "link" it to an e-book so if it's a title/series I am super in to I can stop listening (while executing the honey-due list, chores, etc.) and switch over to that spot within the ebook when I'm just chillin. Pretty cool feature IMHO. Also syncs across devices/PC.

Listen to a lot of the same genres as well as ContemporaryFantasy/UrbanFantasy/paranormal (none of that vampire shit), thrillers, police procedurals, dectective.
3 of my favorite series:
Iron Druid Chronicles - Kevin Hearne
The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Jack Reacher - Lee Child

And a bunch of others...

hahaha agreed, no sparkly vampires! lol

I'm an audible fanatic. I used to listen to books on tape when I worked on the road. Around a year ago, I joined Audible. I now have around 50 books that I listen to while riding, cutting wood and about any chores around the house. I have been listening to a lot of survival books lately. Yep, I'm hooked.

Love Luke Daniels as narrator. Even if the book sucks he still makes it good.
John Ceepak series is good and funny also check out John Lago series (interns handbook and hostile takeover).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You forgot the best OTR radio show ever... Lum & Abner!! Those guys are hilarious to listen to!

I don't listen that much to the Old Time Radio shows when I ride now. I have in the past. I do allot of Podcasts... Adventure Rider radio is great... and a weekly show. Also Long Riders Radio is a great podcast to listen to... although it focuses on Iron Butt riding (some fantastic tips from those riders!)

I am a mobile tech person so I also listen to Tech News Today (TNT), This Week in Tech (TWIT), All about Android (AAA), Android Central, This Week in Google (TWIG).

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjmibS3_63MAhWDND4KHUDqCvIQFggpMAI&url=http%3A%2F%2Ffeeds.twit.tv%2Fbrickhouse.xml&usg=AFQjCNFTZNWg4Xz2LDITurJeu3uG_IK4dw&sig2=0y4fMzTt-SQFIJB83K_JKw&bvm=bv.120551593,d.cWw

Android Central Podcast | Android Central

We listen to them on car trips. Can't hear well enough or I'd listen on the bike, too. Hubby prefers the audio versions whenever he "reads".
Some sci fi/fantasy I've enjoyed - Patrick Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicles (warning, the third book of the trilogy has no release date), Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series, and Nathan Lowell's Trader Tales (this series is even free).

Yes, I am IMPATIENTLY waiting book 3!!!! (Who does he think he is anyway? George RR Martin?? taking so long to release the next dang book!)

Yes, I am IMPATIENTLY waiting book 3!!!! (Who does he think he is anyway? George RR Martin?? taking so long to release the next dang book!)

From his blog posts and other things I have read he seems stuck. Like he can't bring all his ideas he wanted to finish out the story the way he originally envisioned. I will also wait [impatiently] for the end and hope that it is glorious.

From his blog posts and other things I have read he seems stuck. Like he can't bring all his ideas he wanted to finish out the story the way he originally envisioned. I will also wait [impatiently] for the end and hope that it is glorious.
The book is written, he's just editing. At least that's what I've read - he didn't want to be in the position of GRRM where he had all these loose ends and no way to tie them up (or worse, like Robert Jordan dying before finishing), and had them all finished before publishing the first one. His editing though...he did an entire edit to remove extraneous "the"s or something.
On the plus side, I almost like Slow Regard for Silent Things more than the regular books.

From his blog posts and other things I have read he seems stuck. Like he can't bring all his ideas he wanted to finish out the story the way he originally envisioned.

The book is written, he's just editing. At least that's what I've read -

Should've mentioned that was a couple months back when I last looked, good to know that it is at least written. My impression was also that he's a perfectionist so he's not going to release it to press until he is satisfied so we may be waiting awhile. :(

I cancelled my audible subscription a while back, but my favorites were the Great Courses. I loved the history courses. There were "books" on just about any major historical event (or series of events) for the past several thousand years. It was great, but put my wife to sleep on long car rides.

I love to listen to audio books. Even my kids like them now, too. :) We had to drive straight through from almost-the-northern-border to almost-the-southern-border of the USA recently, and they wanted to listed to audio books nearly the entire way. Our library lets you check audio books out now, which is wonderful! I find that if I'm enjoying the book, though, that I don't feel as confident in my level of concentration on the bike. Alternatively, I'm not really hearing & enjoying the book. Driving a 4-wheeler, as I was with the kids, on empty, straight roads is different than my motorcycle commute at speed in heavy traffic. :)

I'm an 'old guy,' too, I guess.

X Minus One was always a favorite of mine. There are some modern radio dramas produced out there and some of them are free like Pleasure Town. You can find it on iTunes. The best I've heard in a long time are from GraphicAudio They are full production dramas with huge casts and sound effects. For the nerds among you, they do full dramatic stories of DC and Marvel superheroes. The "Batman: No Man's Land" story was amazing, and as I remember about 10 hours long. It's well worth the money you spend on it.

X Minus One was always a favorite of mine. There are some modern radio dramas produced out there and some of them are free like Pleasure Town. You can find it on iTunes. The best I've heard in a long time are from GraphicAudio They are full production dramas with huge casts and sound effects. For the nerds among you, they do full dramatic stories of DC and Marvel superheroes. The "Batman: No Man's Land" story was amazing, and as I remember about 10 hours long. It's well worth the money you spend on it.

I've never known there were any Comic (erm..."graphic novels" nowadays?) audio versions made! Awesome! I will look for those now too :D

Heh, heh. Thanks, Doc True! :D

Just ordered "Crisis on Infinite Earths" and "The Flash: Stop Motion" from GraphicAudio.net

I have had the Animated dvd/Blu ray versions of Crisis and many others for years now, but for the life of me, I never made the obvious leap to wonder about or look for audio versions/themes, duh. I'm mega rolling my eyes at myself lol :rolleyes:

Back