• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone have off-hand knowledge? Parking Brake Pads Part Number? (2014 DCT)

Deckyon

Reaction score
raven.deckyon.com
I was a dumbass who rode home with the parking brake engaged. Now, I need to get some pads ordered so I can replace them when I take my wheel off to do the sprockets and chain. Anyone know the part number of them? 2014 NC700X DCT only (regular model does not have these.)

My brother wanted to try my DCT, so we switched (I rode his WeeStrom 650), and he didn't know to release the parking brake and I forgot to tell him or disengage it. so now it's not holding the bike. He rode it that way for maybe 10 minutes on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Are the pads shot or can it be adjusted via the rear nut to tighten it up without replacing the pads?

My brother wanted to try my DCT, so we switched (I rode his WeeStrom 650), and he didn't know to release the parking brake and I forgot to tell him or disengage it. so now it's not holding the bike. He rode it that way for maybe 10 minutes on the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Are the pads shot or can it be adjusted via the rear nut to tighten it up without replacing the pads?

you should be able to adjust it, but I don't know how you should determine whether you should replace the pads or not

10 mins may be an overestimate. I guess I try to adjust and if that doesn't work I get new pads. Since it is truly just the parking brake not huge safety issue (I understand it will roll when off and stopped - which isn't good - but it's rideable until pads arrive).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adjusting the parking brake is really easy:

m4CzEgI.png

Thanks fiah - your diagrams are better than in my service manual !

Just FYI for others -- I did the first check of the parking brake lever as per the info sheet above and my "mark" was way outside the indicators on the lever. So I started by seeing how much adjustment there was at the lever end (before adjusting on the caliper end). Turns out there was a lot of adjustment available at the lever -- not sure whether the dealer had adjusted this at all when setting up the bike.

Anyway, I was able to easily get the parking brake re-engaged by just adjusting the lever adjustment to get the triangular mark between the two notches on the lever body as shown in the diagram. Actually much better parking brake grip now. Easy-peasy.

Thanks everyone.

ps -- the process is to pull the parking brake lever up (but not so far as to lock it) and see where the rear tire stops spinning ... it's at that point (where the tire first stops due to the parking brake) that the triangle should be between the two hash marks on the lever body. I had my bike on the center stand and engaged Drive for this purpose.

Last edited:
They designed the parking brake all wrong, IMHO.
It works great when on the sidestand, but is 100% worthless when up on the centerstand, since the locked rear wheel is now off the ground.
I store a short loop of doublesided Velcro on my right handlebar that I wrap around the right hand grip and the brake lever.
This keeps the bike in place by locking the front wheel if I'm using the centerstand.
Honda could / Should have put the brake on the front so that it would have worked with EITHER side or centerstand.
But what do I know. I'm no engineer.

They designed the parking brake all wrong, IMHO.
It works great when on the sidestand, but is 100% worthless when up on the centerstand, since the locked rear wheel is now off the ground.
I store a short loop of doublesided Velcro on my right handlebar that I wrap around the right hand grip and the brake lever.
This keeps the bike in place by locking the front wheel if I'm using the centerstand.
Honda could / Should have put the brake on the front so that it would have worked with EITHER side or centerstand.
But what do I know. I'm no engineer.

Why. The leaving the manual NC in gear does not lock the front wheel when on a centerstand.

You're right of course, but on the Manual X version, they would have had to ADD the entire handbrake system whereas on the DCT version, they only needed to relocate the rear parking caliper to the front. Since it is cable actuated, that should not be an issue at all.
On both versions, unless you lock the front brake, there is a chance that the bike could roll off the centerstand.

On mine, it's takes very, VERY deliberate action to get it off the center stand. Either wheel being free to rotate doesn't seem to increase the ease (or lack thereof) of getting it off the stand.

The only reason they have a parking brake is because you cannot leave the DCT in gear once it is shut off. This is why the manual version does not need a parking brake.

Personally, I would not ever want anything that would lock up the front wheel under any circumstances unless the bike is on a trailer. And even then, it would be tied down.

I burnt my pads out (and no, there was no issue with the rotor) because when I had the instrument cluster swapped out in June of 2015 under the recall, the shop ordered the part for the manual version. The differences between the two came down to 2 lights: ABS and Parking Brake. I had the parking brake set, but ended up driving home with it engaged because I could not see the tiny orange line on the release button in the dark, and there was no light. I have since had the cluster replaced with the correct part, and I replaced the pads last December. Since then, I have not had an issue.

But no, do not put a locking mechanism on my front wheel.

I agree with you about the padlock type lock that attaches to the rotor. I can easily see somebody forgetting about it and trying to drive off with that still in place. Potentially serious damage there.
My simple solution is just to wrap the Velcro around the front brake lever to apply the normal front disk brake. No way to drive off with THAT engaged.
As to the force required to bump a bike off the centerstand?? YES, it takes quite a bump to do that. Sadly I had the exact thing happen to my bike, parked in my garage when we had a pretty good earthquake on March 28th, 2014 measuring a 5.1.
Because I had the bike it on the centerstand, but had not yet started to use the Velcro on the front brake, it rolled right off the centerstand and went down. Luckily, VERY minor damage, but it sure can happen.

Last edited:
I'm going to put "bike rolls off stand due to earthquake" waaayyyy down on my list of things to worry about, if you don't mind

only (slightly) off topic, but has anyone had any issues with the parking brake losing tension after repeated use? I've had to adjust it rather frequently on mine. Could it be an issue with a fraying cable perhaps?

Back