• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone add an Android/Apple CarPlay motorcycle screen?

melensdad

Reaction score
Visit site
Just curious, but I'm thinking I'd rather keep my phone secure in my pocket, but I still like Apple CarPlay for maps and voice control.

There are now weather resistant (cold/heat and rain resistant) displays available that can be mounted on standard "ball" mounts. Anyone using one of these things?

Way too much distraction for me! Seri does voice control through my Cardo and I tape directions to the top of my frunk.

Just curious, but I'm thinking I'd rather keep my phone secure in my pocket, but I still like Apple CarPlay for maps and voice control.

There are now weather resistant (cold/heat and rain resistant) displays available that can be mounted on standard "ball" mounts. Anyone using one of these things?
Can you provide a link or example of this type display?

Can you provide a link or example of this type display?
Basically it just mirrors the Android or Apple phone. it works wirelessly, connects to Cardo, Sen, etc headsets via bluetooth. Displays the navigation map on a larger screen than the phone and is water proof.

So essentially just a mirror of the phone screen, in larger format.

Prices range from about $100 to roughly $300. Screen sizes range from 7 to nearly 12 inches.

Features vary slightly but most units are pretty similar in most functions.

1 of probably 100 various examples:

We fitted this unit on my wife's 2021 750X and she loves it. The USB socket is in the frunk so she plugs her phone in for charging and the wireless carplay is fabulous. It connects quickly and she loves having Google Maps live on the screen. We also have it paired with her Cardo and it works together for calls and music. I know there are cheaper ones but this one came with everything we needed for installation.

We fitted this unit on my wife's 2021 750X and she loves it. The USB socket is in the frunk so she plugs her phone in for charging and the wireless carplay is fabulous. It connects quickly and she loves having Google Maps live on the screen. We also have it paired with her Cardo and it works together for calls and music. I know there are cheaper ones but this one came with everything we needed for installation.

This is one of the units I'm looking at.

Glad to hear it works well.

Mainly want it for LARGER screen for maps.

I use CarPlay in one of my vehicles and love the voice commands and ease of use. But for the bike really I'm mostly looking for a bigger screen for the maps. I wish it had an FM transmitter so I could use it in one of my older cars too. Seems like the units with FM transmitters are not suitable for motorcycles, and are not weather proof.

I (like maybe some of you) have Apple Car play built in to my 2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour Airbag and it's pretty darn cool to use. Lots of nice features. But, I can't remember at this time if ACP ceases to function when there's no cell coverage. If that's the case, would one of these stop functioning too? I'm not that schooled on this sort of thing even though I use it on the Wing.
Scott

I think its necessary to download oflfline maps into the phone and then even if it loses cell coverage, mapping still works and it still uses the GPS satellites with the phone. I do long tours with a bunch of buddies and we make sure to have both a Garmin GPS as well as our phones for mapping. I think most of us prefer using the phone for everything.

I (like maybe some of you) have Apple Car play built in to my 2018 Honda Goldwing DCT Tour Airbag and it's pretty darn cool to use. Lots of nice features. But, I can't remember at this time if ACP ceases to function when there's no cell coverage. If that's the case, would one of these stop functioning too? I'm not that schooled on this sort of thing even though I use it on the Wing.
Scott
If you are using Apple Maps, and have set a route to follow and hit "go", it will get you there as long as GPS remains available. The route is cached. It will not provide route updates or alerts without the cell connection. You cannot start a new route with Apple Maps without a data connection. Google Maps allows you to download a region and will allow you to start a new route without a data connection as long as the destination is within the downloaded region. The connection between the phone and head units are generally WiFi; so as long as that connection and your phone app remians stable, both Apple and Google Maps will continue to operate (they both run on your phone, not the head).

If you are using Apple Maps, and have set a route to follow and hit "go", it will get you there as long as GPS remains available. The route is cached. It will not provide route updates or alerts without the cell connection. You cannot start a new route with Apple Maps without a data connection. Google Maps allows you to download a region and will allow you to start a new route without a data connection as long as the destination is within the downloaded region. The connection between the phone and head units are generally WiFi; so as long as that connection and your phone app remains stable, both Apple and Google Maps will continue to operate (they both run on your phone, not the head).
I have been messing with that the last couple of days. I got an old iPhone from my daughter in law. Downloaded Google maps, down loaded the offline map for my area, and to test it, put in a destination town south east of me and took off. As long as I followed the exact route as chosen everything was fine. But I came to a road closure detour I had to go around, and it would not re-configure the route. After turning off the chosen route it just showed me where I was, and wouldn't tell me where to go to reach my destination. That was fine since in my area so I know where to go, but it wouldn't be so fine of I was in a neighboring state and unfamiliar with adjacent roads. I could stop and ask it to take me to that town again from my detoured route and it would figure it out, and direct me to the town, but just wouldn't do it automatically. I'm going to try again with a SIM card from my son in law, however that works, but for me, GPS's are only good for going the quickest way from point A to point B. Probably why I still pre plan my trips on paper maps and then write the roads down and use my handwritten directions.

I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to tell a GPS how "I" want to go lol. I mean how do you tell a GPS you want to do this?

fZ786GBh.jpg

I have been messing with that the last couple of days. I got an old iPhone from my daughter in law. Downloaded Google maps, down loaded the offline map for my area, and to test it, put in a destination town south east of me and took off. As long as I followed the exact route as chosen everything was fine. But I came to a road closure detour I had to go around, and it would not re-configure the route. After turning off the chosen route it just showed me where I was, and wouldn't tell me where to go to reach my destination. That was fine since in my area so I know where to go, but it wouldn't be so fine of I was in a neighboring state and unfamiliar with adjacent roads. I could stop and ask it to take me to that town again from my detoured route and it would figure it out, and direct me to the town, but just wouldn't do it automatically. I'm going to try again with a SIM card from my son in law, however that works, but for me, GPS's are only good for going the quickest way from point A to point B. Probably why I still pre plan my trips on paper maps and then write the roads down and use my handwritten directions.

I'm just not smart enough to figure out how to tell a GPS how "I" want to go lol. I mean how do you tell a GPS you want to do this?

fZ786GBh.jpg
Yup. If the closure was not included in the download, it won't route around it without a data connection. The same would be true for traffic accidents, debris in the road, etc.

I also love Garmin's "adventurous routing" that finds the curvier roads to where I'm going. Google Maps is great to get you where you're going quickly (unless you plan out the route and save it in advance). Having the other apps easily available would be nice. It would also end the "turf war" between Garmin and my Cardo both wanting to be the "command center" for everything.

Edited to add: not seeing many (any) bigger than 5" than have IPX7 waterproofing. Most look like they designed for the protected environment of a car's dashboard.

My best GPS is a $5 yard sale Garmin with lifetime maps. If it rains I put it in a Ziplock which is basically IP64 I think lol. A big win would be finding a LMT version!

The old Zumo was a little easier because it had buttons, but those rubber buttons failed and fell out and the unit fried.

fZ786GBh.jpg
If that is from a tracking app you should/may be able to download the gpx file then upload and save it to Google or Apple Maps.

If that is from a tracking app you should/may be able to download the gpx file then upload and save it to Google or Apple Maps.
That is a Snip and save from Google maps with my routing with the Snip and save's red pen feature, which I save to a jpeg file and print, then write out my directions on paper. I know nothing about GPX files and uploading to google maps

Man that would be great if I only knew how. I need a GPS tutor lol

On my 10+ year old Garmins, I have the GPS calculate the point A to point B route, then when I pan around on the map and see an alternate, less direct, or more interesting route, I just touch that road and tell it to add in the via point. It reroutes to include that point. I can, in a manner of a minute or so, add in some twisty or more remote roads on the route to point B. Once underway, I can deviate somewhat and the GPS will keep rerouting me to accommodate the changes. Newer motorcycle Garmins don’t work so well for adventure rides as they are derived from modern automotive A to B routing models, so I prefer my old waterproof “adventure” type Garmin models. The new Garmin motorcycle models will route you to the theater or the bowling alley, but are not so good at finding a campsite.

Thanks for OP for starting this thread, I had no idea these things even existed. I've been using my old smartphone with either Google Maps or (when I want to create a very custom route) OSMand. For Google Maps, I get data by tethering to the wi-fi hotspot on my regular phone (it uses surprisingly little data).

This works great except when it rains: the drops of water hitting the screen eventually confuse the phone and cause the screen to go black. So I'm in the market for either a waterproof case of some type, or something like this waterproof CarPlay thing.

I found this review of one of the AliExpress CarPlay units on a blog I sometimes follow. This guy has written quite a bit about his search for navigation solutions, maybe this will be useful to someone:

Apple Car Play works without a cell signal. There are MULTIPLE mapping choices that can be used with Apple Car Play. Car Play basically is just the interface, designed to work with voice control. So Car Play becomes the interface for apps that don't require your hands to push buttons, if your app can use APPLE SIRI or the ANDROID equivalent, then these screens will work for you.

AS FOR SOME SPECIFIC Apple CarPlay MAPPING APPS:

• Apple MAPS won't let you do SOME functions without a cell signal, but still uses GPS for route that is already in the system and gets you all the turn by turn functions to get you to your destination.
  • SCENIC is an Apple CarPlay mapping/turn-by-turn/routing system that has DOWNLOADED maps and works without cell signal. I typically use SCENIC for trip routing, you can upload routes from various programs like Furkot, Garmin or others. Personally I find SCENIC to be a great mapping program. SCENIC is a motorcycle map/routing program, has functions like "curvy" road choices, etc. Being moto-specific, it has a lot of content that can be shared from and with other riders, you can look up rides, etc.
  • WAZE is an Apple CarPlay mapping/turn-by-turn/routing system with the best live traffic/road closure/speed trap/etc conditions for routing, but requires a cell signal. I use this frequently in the car, it gets you around wrecks, and the 'live' traffic updates are MUCH faster than ANY AND EVERY other mapping system available.
  • GOOGLE MAPS can be used with Apple CarPlay and simply gives you bigger maps because the screens on these players are simply larger. I don't use it very often because other programs, specifically WAZE, are vastly superior for traffic, and WAZE uses Google's maps as its mapping base, but the info on WAZE is much more real-time.

Personally, I've never found motorcycle gloves that work with a touchscreen for very long. They say they do, but after a month or two they don't. so I keep my Garmin no-internet GPS which has a pressure-sensitive screen, and It does me just fine. If I want to use my phone for directions, I keep in in my pocket or charging in the frunk and get directions through my AirPods.

Back