• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any problems with the RAM X-grip mount?

TomInOregon

Reaction score
Visit site
I ask because I have had this mount for about a year and it has worked great holding my Samsung Galaxy Mega in Otterbox Defender case until around a month ago. Since then, I have had it pop out of the mount at least three times when I hit sharp bumps on the road. Only my reflexes have saved my phone from tumbling down the road at 65 mph each time. It has gotten to the point where I no longer trust the X-grip to hold my phone on the Interstate.
My phone had popped out several times during the year prior, but I had also noticed that I wasn't getting the phone fully in the mount. Since then I have been OCD about making sure that the phone is fully in the mount and it is still coming out. Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with this mount holding their phone/device or if they are using any other mounts without issues.

I've been thinking about getting the RAM X mount for my new smart phone (yes, I finally gave in and got a smart phone), but this is the 2nd time I've read abou it giving way!

As RAM also makes a dedicated mount for my new phone, it seems like it would be a better idea to go with the dedicated over the X (generic) mount.

I've been using one for over a year now on two different phones with no issues. I even went off road with it and it held on to the phone. Was pretty surprised at how well it has worked out for me. But I am still worried that the day will come when my phone flies out and meets the ground at freeway speeds.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I didn't go with the X-Grip. I felt the RAM-HOL-PD3U looked to secure the phone better. My bike takes a beating on these roads around Little Rock and the phone does not budge. I have a Galaxy S5 and there is still room for expansion. Figured I would throw out an idea as a replacement in case you decide to go with something else.

You can always get the GPS case.clear view of phone.rain proof with zipper.I keep mine in it when not using a GPS.

I've had the X for about 2 years. Never had an issue with it even off-road. Having said that, if there is a specific mount for your phone, I would go with that.

No problems with mine...even after going down at 45mph. The phone stayed perfectly in place. I have an iPhone 5 with a LifeProof case on it. I keep a small camera tether on the phone case so when I attach it to the X-Grip, I always wrap the tether around the mount to safety it. I don't use the X-Grip very often, but have had it for over a year with no problems. Just make sure the rubber grips of the fingers aren't sliding up and off the mount which is the only issue I've run into.

My X-grip let my Tab 3 8" hit the gravel road once. I won't use or recommend the X-grip because of that.

i hate that mount! Im using it with my samsung galaxy s5 and it pops off all the time. Ive had to catch my phone a few times now on the freeway.

had my phone (s4 active in some cheap case) half fall out once but I suspect that was partly my fault for not seating is properly, biggest issue I have is that the power button needs to be either above or below one of the grips, if not the phone turns off on a bump... there isn't much phone above the power button, and below the power button there isn't much phone for the bottom grippers, hence seating it properly (where the grips have the most phone to hold on to) is important. (if the grips are on one of the rounded off edges it squeezes the phone out instead of holding it in.)

Other than that I love the x-grip, works well for me so far, and I don't have to buy a new mount when I get a different phone.

I wouldn't use the table version... seems like the extra leverage on the arms when the spread them out to hold a full tablet would allow for a tablet to work it's way loose easier.

I've used the X-grip in the car for a couple of years now, and for this season on the bike without any issues. That said, my iPhone lives in an Otterbox Defender when it is on the bike and I use the lanyard that came with it to loop around the handlebars and provide a secondary attachment in case of failure.

RAM has a lifetime warranty on the X-grip, so it is likely returnable.

I've had no problems with the Xgrip and I've been paranoid about it from the start. It works well, but I check it constantly while it's in it. These devices aren't cheap!

Back