• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Any motorcyclist's worst nightmare

well, that's what happens if going fast and wide on turns...
It's miracle he survived...

BTW, I'd rather turn left off the road then hit this truck.

The nightmare is remembering over and over what an idiot you were.

Okay. Let's have an expert review here. What did he do wrong? Was it speed? Panic? Too much front brake? Inexperience? All of the above?

It just seems like this should not have happened.

Always hate to judge another riders errors....... but it does look like speed was certainly a factor. Also, notice immediately prior to the collision, the bike seems to hit a depression in the pavement right on the curve. You can see two cracks on the pavement and the bike seems to 'bounce' a bit.

Lucky man!

Was the camera mounted on his helmet? If so, it looks to me like target fixation. I didn't see a lot of lean and I saw a lot of truck. Poor guy.

He went in too low and too fast, then all he looked at was the truck. Not enough lean either, should of pushed the bike down till it low sided.

Was the camera mounted on his helmet? If so, it looks to me like target fixation. I didn't see a lot of lean and I saw a lot of truck. Poor guy.

That's exactly what I thought, target fixation.

A brief chat about target fixation was the best advice I ever got whilst doing a track day at Brands Hatch, I did go wide on one lap and fixated on the gravel for a split second before remembering the chat in the briefing, I then immediately looked up at the next corner, cranked the bike over a bit more and that's where I went, and not in the gravel, phew!:)

Man, I hate seeing that. Someone was watching over him that day. It looked to me like he grabbed a whole handful of front brake causing the front end to get squirrely. Add to that a healthy dose of target fixation and you've got a recipe for disaster. I'm glad he made it. That left shoulder looked awfully good until I realized that it looks like a cliff. Not fun. I think I'm with Old Jeff. Needs more LEAN!!!! Oh well, If I had to pick one big truck to hit, I guess a firetruck would be it. EMTs already on the scene.

Too fast, wrong Apex into corner, target fixation, too much front brake, not leaning enough coming out of corner, all of this; don't make public roads into a racetrack....

I learn new things every day riding, foremost amongst them, is that I always know less than I think I do, even after all these years and gazillion miles ridden lol.

Armchair quarterback, with no presumption or claims, but how I view it:

A seemingly very poorly damped or under sprung rear shock that went all wallow city after the bump/s. Didn't appear IMHO that he was really going all that fast, 50 mph or slightly less? The corner wasn't some brutal diminishing radius hairpin, and the truck was way over to it's right, so he had lots of room to play with, but he instantly went wide(r) after the bike started bouncing.

He was fairly tight to the apex initially from what I could see, but the bike stood up due to him no longer doing a right bar pressure counter steer, to maintain the arc. Most people's instinctive panic reaction to a bike bouncing during the corner, or the corner tightening up, is to let off the throttle, relax inside bar pressure, and start sitting up, hoping to have the bike more perpendicular, brake, then go back to leaning.

Unfortunately, 9 times out of 10, this usually translates into running straight off the road and/or into oncoming traffic. They second guess the ability to lean further and still make it around the corner. A large amount of people are more afraid of leaning too far and low siding, than they are about sitting upright, and "riding it out", for some bizarre reason.

I always "square off" my corners, because I'm deathly paranoid about what is around a corner I can't see- be it poor road conditions, or cars in my lane, or whatever surprise might await. I never was a very good racer on the track, because my burned in reflexive street line allowed others to usually dive up the inside, and hit the apex before me. I never carried very much speed through a corner, but stayed too wide, heavily braked, shot to apex, and had too tight an exit line, for best racing results.

I think meeting speeding logging trucks on narrow, dust filled gravel roads during my formative riding years, instilled this healthy fear of corner exits gone wrong, ha ha! :eek:

He was on the wrong side of the road at least 10 times prior to the crash. Then there is the component of following the rider in front ..............even in the news segment the rider in front pulling away.

I think he was too scared of low siding and sliding under the truck which would have surely killed him. I don't blame him because I would probably feel the same way in that moment. This illustrates why it is so important to wear proper gear and have proper training prior to riding as well as reinforcing those skills every day you ride. Muscle memory goes a long way and good habits save lives. I can't tell you how many times I've seen packs of sport bikes riding through DC speeding, weaving in and out of traffic, lane splitting, and passing on the shoulder. Not only is it unsafe for the riders, but also for other drivers in vehicles, and it gives us all a bad name. Just my two cents... :rolleyes:

one thing is beyond me, how can somebody go so fast not knowing what is behind the curve of the corner...
and I see this stupidity quite often on the road.

one thing is beyond me, how can somebody go so fast not knowing what is behind the curve of the corner...
and I see this stupidity quite often on the road.

This reminds me of my high school driver's ed class (of which I made the highest score in the class: 98 ;)) in which one of my two teachers always said "Don't overdrive your interference."

A couple of things come to mind:

1. This is a road that has no centre markings which means that the width is less than two car widths. Keep this in mind when you take your turns.

2. His line was way off. Whenever I ride twisty roads I always focus on the correct technique for taking the turns. Start and end on the outside of the turn. Also try to see as much as possible of what's ahead before your turn in. Look through the turn. Also stay on your side of the road ;-) ... He didn't seem to do many (if any) of these things.

3. He still had about 2 s to counter steer to get on his side of the road and avoid the truck. Why hit the front brake ?

Back