• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Affordable Motorcycle GPS options - Looking for input

I tried using a Garmin Nuvi. Can't read the screen outside, even in overcast conditions .
Then tried a Samsung Tab 3 7 inch tablet. Aside from mounting problems, still couldn't read screen while riding.
Researched screen tech. Learned "IPS" offers good reading in sunlight.
Picked up a Hauwei Honor 6x which works well in sunlight when set on high brightness. I don't use it as a phone; no SIM card installed. It has an IPS screen 5.5 inch which is perfect for my trifocal old eyes.
Bought a hard case, added 3M dual lock to the case and to a flat Ram mount. Attached the Ram to the screen hardware (original windscreen--I'm short) and the phone sits high, above instruments. Perfect location for me and out of the rain.
I've installed USB power taps for the Sena and now the phone. Fashioned a thick zip lock bag for rain protection when slowed down in traffic, and the case keeps buttons safe--but not USB port or speakers.
After trying six or seven different navigation apps I settled on the paid version of Sygic. I ride street 90% so it works well for me. Sprung for the Heads Up Display option and use that at night in the car.
The dual lock means it's easy on and off. No slack. No wobble. Bluetooth talks to my Sena as if it's a phone--which it is!
I'm a believer in lagging edge technology, I.e. last year's tech at way lower prices. I'm cheap.
I'm liking this setup a LOT. Variations are numerous, I'm sure.

I have been using a MOTO G5 Plus, which runs Android 7.0, which has split screen capabilities. I can stream music to my Scala Rider Bluetooth intercom, run Google Maps, and have the ability to answer phone calls simultaneously. I mainly use Google Maps while traveling. I usually know where I am going generally, but find most helpful where nearby hotels and restaurants are along the trip.

Personally, I would prefer Bluetooth intercoms to a dedicated GPS. Being able to talk with other folks while riding adds a different dimension to riding, which makes it more fun, at least to me.

For a dedicated GPS, I’ve been using a Garmin Nuvi 500 or 550. I consider it a cheaper alternative to a Zumo. The 3.5 inch unit is an 8 year old design, doesn’t speak Bluetooth directions or stream music, but it is fully waterproof, has a large removable battery, and works fairly well with gloves on. The screen could stand to be a little brighter but it works pretty well. You can power it from a handlebar source, but I’ve often run mine intermittently all day on battery power alone, and carried a spare charged battery in case it gets low on charge. A RAM holder is available for it. The unit is long since out of production but still available used on eBay for $100-$150. I just bought another one as a back up since mine is nearly worn out from so much use. Again, the main good features of the unit is that it’s IPX7 waterproof and the battery is removable.

The 500 has topographic base maps while the 550 has road base maps, but either has enough memory to load in current street maps as well.

Last edited:
I have the Nuvi 550 as well. I like it a lot. It shows more backroad detail than most current Garmin units. I also have some OSM maps which let you zoom out even farther without losing the little roads. I use it mostly in the car now and have my bikes set up for a Montana.

Back