• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Advice re touring luggage?

werdigo

Reaction score
Visit site
I am starting to equip my fairly new (2,200 miles) 2014 NC700X for long-distance touring/camping. So far I have Dale's rack installed and am planning to use Givi products, but am not sure about the next step.

At present I'm thinking of starting with the 48L Outback Trekker left side bag with the mount that goes with it:

Givi Trekker Outback 48 Liter Side Case - Motorcycle Superstore
Givi Trekker Outback Side Case Supports - Motorcycle Superstore

First question: Is this consistent with the Hondabikepro rear rack? That is, will Dale's rack interfere with using this Givi mount?

Second: There is a "2-pack" offered; will a 48L fit on the right side also, or is a smaller case needed or advisable because of the exhaust pipe?

I'm also considering the 58 liter top case: Givi Trekker Outback Top Case - Motorcycle Superstore

Third question: What mount is needed for this? The Superstore shows a "Monokey Top Mounting Plate" but their availability list for 2014 shows only Triumph. If I can find this mount for the 700X would it work with Dale's rear rack?

OK --- 'nuff for now. Too much, maybe!

--Werdigo
(Getting ~ 72 mpg)

Last edited:
Here's a pic of my NC set up for camping.
campbike.jpg
The top box is a $20 project tote box from Home Depot.
The saddle bags are $20 (each) duffel bags from ebags.com (17" to 21" bags work best)

Everything I need to make camp is in the project box. It's a good system, I've camped a lot with it, and it didn't cost much. :)

Last edited:
Have a look at Hepco & Becker, or Hepco & Becker with Caribou/Pelican sidecases.

But also consider what Strattuner has done.

Thanks very much, Harvey. That looks like exactly the info I need. Always feel a bit guilty about not having found answers on the forum by myself, but it's hard to read everything.

Shortly after sending my post, I found drdubb's on p. 25 of the "Pictures...saddlebags" thread and it looks like what I'm after, except perhaps that he chose 33L side bags. 16 days' camping? That's my plan too!

You should check out this thread- page 3 has the rack info & some pics:
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...w-givi-trekker-outback-panniers-2013-a-3.html

Here's a link to the 'all panniers' thread-
http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/5412-pictures-various-honda-nc700x-saddlebags.html
My quick looks shows the outbacks on pg 11-13 with more info on the bits you'll need.
Good Luck!

I am starting to equip my fairly new (2,200 miles) 2014 NC700X for long-distance touring/camping. So far I have Dale's rack installed and am planning to use Givi products, but am not sure about the next step.

At present I'm thinking of starting with the 48L Outback Trekker left side bag with the mount that goes with it:

Givi Trekker Outback 48 Liter Side Case - Motorcycle Superstore
Givi Trekker Outback Side Case Supports - Motorcycle Superstore

First question: Is this consistent with the Hondabikepro rear rack? That is, will Dale's rack interfere with using this Givi mount?

Second: There is a "2-pack" offered; will a 48L fit on the right side also, or is a smaller case needed or advisable because of the exhaust pipe?

I'm also considering the 58 liter top case: Givi Trekker Outback Top Case - Motorcycle Superstore

Third question: What mount is needed for this? The Superstore shows a "Monokey Top Mounting Plate" but their availability list for 2014 shows only Triumph. If I can find this mount for the 700X would it work with Dale's rear rack?

OK --- 'nuff for now. Too much, maybe!

--Werdigo
(Getting ~ 72 mpg)

I wanted those same Givi cases and almost bought them for $629 FOR A PAIR on Motostorm.it. I wish I had now, because I got the Kappa K33N set instead and I think I'd have liked the aluminum better.

Be aware that there's Givi Trekkers and Givi Trekker Outbacks. They're two different designs.
The Givi Trekkers are plastic with aluminum 'accent panels'. They open half of the top (there's an extra hinge in the side case), and fully open to the side (like most street style panniers).
The Givi Trekker Outbacks are aluminum and the top fully opens (like most adventure/dirt panniers).

Thanks very much, Harvey. That looks like exactly the info I need. Always feel a bit guilty about not having found answers on the forum by myself, but it's hard to read everything.

Shortly after sending my post, I found drdubb's on p. 25 of the "Pictures...saddlebags" thread and it looks like what I'm after, except perhaps that he chose 33L side bags. 16 days' camping? That's my plan too!

Heard my name.

I like the double opening of the trekkers, but I also might consider the outbacks. The 33L served me well, but the duffel was the most useful piece of kit. I added the rack on top of the top box, but that brought the weight of the box up to 20 lbs empty. Might not do that again. I did use that rack for drying socks etc while riding.

I used the left pannier for the tent and misc. camp items, the right for clothes etc. the duffel for sleeping bag etc. Tool kit and and air pump went into the frunk. I tried to keep weight low and forward. The top box served as the kitchen and library. After 5 days, I sent the camping gear home and just kept all the clothes/electronic chargers etc. in the duffle so I could carry into the motel. Extra riding gear, such as heated jacket, warm gloves, stayed in the panniers. I had a rotopax on Dales rack. Never needed it, but it reduced worry. Would be good for carrying water for stealth camping.

20160611_135425_zpsbrzuj9d4-XL.jpg

DSCN5098-XL.jpg

I had some wolf man bottle holsters from my dual sport days. I attached those to carry alcohol for my stove and chain lube.

In my mind, this is a fine touring motorcycle. Just need to set it up for your own tastes. I would like to add a nice saddle, but the Seat Concepts low worked for me. I did 6500 miles in 15 days.

Last edited:
I have the 37L Outbacks and 58L topcase. I can't open the saddle bags without removing them, but the extra space in the top case is worth it to me.

Attachments

• NC700X Outback.jpg
    NC700X Outback.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 557
Thanks, guys, for some impressive replies! Nice setup at low cost by StratTuner, and it was right up my alley for most of my life, but I decided to go with commercial products this time. I have ordered the PL-1111CAM Outback support (hasn't arrived yet) but am still undecided on the size of the boxes. Plan was for 2x48L panniers + a 58L top to maximize capacity...

But... I'm a backpacker, down to the fairly lightweight (~25 lbs, not the ultralight ~10 lb type) category. I use an REI Flash 62 backpack. The local Home Depot was giving away 61L storage containers the other day and I got a couple. The entire contents of my backpack fits easily into that box, except the pack frame itself (and it almost does) and my hiking poles. I bet it would all go into the 58L Givi top case. I wouldn't pack that way, but it makes me wonder how much capacity I really need.

It would be nice to camp a bit more luxuriously than I did on the AT in 2013 (my six weeks' journal is at Werdigo's 2013 Appalachian Trail Journal, Part of Trail Journals' Backpacking and Hiking Journals ), but two 48L side bags and a 58L top bag may be overdoing it. Wanderer's 37's may be better.

Any thoughts? It's tempting to think "more capacity is better" until the cost of carrying it is considered.

Thanks, guys, for some impressive replies! Nice setup at low cost by StratTuner, and it was right up my alley for most of my life, but I decided to go with commercial products this time. I have ordered the PL-1111CAM Outback support (hasn't arrived yet) but am still undecided on the size of the boxes. Plan was for 2x48L panniers + a 58L top to maximize capacity...

But... I'm a backpacker, down to the fairly lightweight (~25 lbs, not the ultralight ~10 lb type) category. I use an REI Flash 62 backpack. The local Home Depot was giving away 61L storage containers the other day and I got a couple. The entire contents of my backpack fits easily into that box, except the pack frame itself (and it almost does) and my hiking poles. I bet it would all go into the 58L Givi top case. I wouldn't pack that way, but it makes me wonder how much capacity I really need.

It would be nice to camp a bit more luxuriously than I did on the AT in 2013 (my six weeks' journal is at Werdigo's 2013 Appalachian Trail Journal, Part of Trail Journals' Backpacking and Hiking Journals ), but two 48L side bags and a 58L top bag may be overdoing it. Wanderer's 37's may be better.

Any thoughts? It's tempting to think "more capacity is better" until the cost of carrying it is considered.

I had the same "more is better" type thoughts going into it, but after looking and a few rear view pics of the 48L side bags, I was afraid the extra width would have me bumping into things and I didn't like the look of it. Also to consider, I'm not real sure I could throw my leg over mine if I had the 48L. It's no worry if you're on the center stand (I'm assuming you'll have this if your loading up with camping gear), or if you're more limber than I am.

Heard my name.

I like the double opening of the trekkers, but I also might consider the outbacks. The 33L served me well, but the duffel was the most useful piece of kit. I added the rack on top of the top box, but that brought the weight of the box up to 20 lbs empty. Might not do that again. I did use that rack for drying socks etc while riding.

I used the left pannier for the tent and misc. camp items, the right for clothes etc. the duffel for sleeping bag etc. Tool kit and and air pump went into the frunk. I tried to keep weight low and forward. The top box served as the kitchen and library. After 5 days, I sent the camping gear home and just kept all the clothes/electronic chargers etc. in the duffle so I could carry into the motel. Extra riding gear, such as heated jacket, warm gloves, stayed in the panniers. I had a rotopax on Dales rack. Never needed it, but it reduced worry. Would be good for carrying water for stealth camping.

20160611_135425_zpsbrzuj9d4-XL.jpg

DSCN5098-XL.jpg

I had some wolf man bottle holsters from my dual sport days. I attached those to carry alcohol for my stove and chain lube.

In my mind, this is a fine touring motorcycle. Just need to set it up for your own tastes. I would like to add a nice saddle, but the Seat Concepts low worked for me. I did 6500 miles in 15 days.

Sounds like a good ride...

I went with Givi 36L (street style panniers). In my trial packing they fit my full camping gear including 2 person tent, 12 foot tarp with full bug net (Eureka VCS16), camp chair, sleep gear & cooking set. That leaves the frunck for tools/spares and extra 'road clothes'. I'm planning a small duffle for my clothing & food. My feeling is the 37L panniers plus topbox is 'enough' even with some luxuries.

Check out this 10,000 post thread for more info on what others are doing:
Adventure Rider

I'm thinking of downsizing my topbox to a 38. Its very easy to get too much stuff and that bike gets topheavy. If you are base camping, stuff is not a problem, but touring adds another dynamic...setting up..tearing down..keeping up with stuff.

when packing clothes, you really don't need to take that much unless you are camping in the wilderness for weeks at a time and going nowhere near a town. Many towns, including small ones, have laundromats in which you can stop, wash/dry clothes and your shampoo can double for washing clothes detergent (I am assuming you are going to occasionally take a shower someplace).

Everybody starts off their motorcycle touring wanting the biggest cases and most storage.... but if you look around you will find the ones traveling all the time on bikes usually have the least amount of gear.

There is a guy named Andrew Pain who rides around different parts of the world on small motorcycles (250cc usually) and has done many seminars at the Horizons Unlimited meets. He has a website where he shares allot of this information The Minimal Motorcyclist He also has a few books on Amazon. (FYI if you read his web blog, start at the bottom.. the newer stuff is at the top)

I have learned to cut down on what I take on trips...and it makes traveling a much easier thing (not so much crap to packup every day!) I did under-do it this past spring by not packing ANY cold weather clothing at all... and got caught in some very big cold rain storms with temps dropping into the lower 50's. Made for a VERY cold day's ride! I broke his rule about being prepared for any type of weather trying to go very minimal.

Lately I have made several trips with just the top case and Dale's rack leaving the side cases at home. So, think about that when you buy. The bigger bulkier side cases can make it much harder to mount and unmount the bike. Having said all that, I really like the trekker cases ability to open on the top or the side. I'd probably opt for the smaller versions of the side cases and if I wanted a bigger case the top case is where I'd want it I think to hold helmets or anything else of size that I might want to keep secure overnight (locked up).

The riders on the forum that travel very frequently could probably give you the best advice here. They are used to taking only what they need.

One last comment though... if you were doing ADV type riding, especially in other countries where roads are bad... I'd seriously consider getting soft luggage that expands as you need it, and will not dent or crack if the bike falls on it. It also will protect the bike in a fall. The contents may take a hit, but whatever is packed inside is probably cheaper to replace than most of these cases themselves. You do lose the convenience of having a locked compartment going with soft luggage.

UPDATE***
I failed to mention in very rough terrain where you find yourself off the bike walking/pushing it through mud/objects, the hard cases are actually a hazard to you. Many many ADV riders have gotten hurt when their legs get caught under the hard cases as they try to push their bike through mud or rocks. Some have even broken bones... soft cases would be much more forgiving in that environment.

Last edited:
Thanks again for some thoughtful replies. At this point I'm inclined to use both a pair of side bags and a top bag, but in modest sizes --- not sure what, exactly, but I'm going to steer clear of the biggest ones. Reminds me of when I started backpacking --- I'd basically carry whatever fit into the pack with no attention to its weight (recalling, unfondly, some 60 pounders). Some of us are slower learners than others but eventually I learned!

Just entered my data into Fuelly. One real outlier (54 mpg) has me puzzled. That was at a little country station with, as I recall, an old analog gas pump. But it was on a highway trip and speed may have been higher than usual.

Last edited:
Progress report...

First installed was the pair of 1111-FZ top-bag support rails. (That went pretty well, though I wish I had completely removed Dale's rack instead of simply disconnecting its support rod. Through carelessness, a couple of hairpin clips and washers are down inside the bike somewhere, and removing the front seat and using a magnetic pickup tool didn't find them. Replaced the clips with small cotter pins.)

Bolted to the top of them (next step) is an aluminum M8B plate. Nice plate, and its four corner holes lined up with the four holes at the front and rear of each FZ bracket (three perfectly, one slightly off). But the M8B screws are 6mm and the bracket holes are for much larger bolts. The flanges or shoulders on the M8B's lock nuts did not slip through the larger FZ holes, but I inserted large flat washers under each lock nut just in case. It's very sturdy: Mounting the 42L top box, one can shake the whole bike but the box/plate/brackets never moves relative to it.

Yesterday the 1111-CAM support, and the 37L pannier boxes, arrived. The support has instructions for mounting with the FZ top-box bracket in place, or with something else ("kit"). The FZ brackets do not have to be removed, or the rear seat even raised, to mount the pannier support. But I had trouble getting both bolts into their threaded holes behind the rear footpegs, so I loosened most of the mounting bolts. The two bolts for the right side pannier support went into the right footpeg pretty easily (could screw them in with fingers), but I had some trouble with the left. I was able to screw one of the 8mm bolts in with my fingers, but could get (at best) only a couple of threads on the other bolt. I don't like to do it (too much risk of cross-threading) but I finally gave up and put the 13mm wrench on it. Everything is now buttoned up tight. I have not yet snapped the pannier boxes onto the supports.

Last night I replaced the stock top-box key cylinder with the spare that was provided with the pannier boxes: Givi's Monokey system, same key for all three boxes. Despite watching a YouTube video that warned about a ball bearing and a spring, I managed to lose the spring and install the new cylinder without the single ball bearing (though I did find it). Lock works fine, but I suppose I'll try to insert the missing parts sometime.

Photos: Just the 1111FZ top-box support, and 111FZ/M8B for the top and 1111CAM for the panniers. Most photos show the completed setup, but I thought step-at-a-time shots might be more helpful to newcomers (like me).DSC01029s.jpg 20161024_181546s.jpg

I hope this helps somebody! By the way, Dale's rack interferes with NOTHING. It would have been easier to mount the FZ top-box rails if I had removed it (easy; three accessible nuts) but everything mounted fine with it in place.

--Werdigo

Back