• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Advice on NOT Hitting Deer?

Backroads

Reaction score
Visit site
I work at a pretty small company on a rural road. This week, 2 of my coworkers have totalled their cars running into deer, which seem to be overrunning us this year.
Can anyone attest to the efficacy of deer whistles like these?

Are there any other methods (besides riding slowly and carefully, which I'm already doing) you'd recommend?

I've not used the deer whistles, but I've heard that they "seem to attract the buggers".
I think your best bet is to be vigilant, esp at the times that deer are most active. (that and cross your fingers you don't hit one)

The best defense would probably be to constantly blow your horn. Animals generally don't like heading in the direction of loud irritating noises that are man made.

Of course that will negate most of the fun of riding.

sent from my nc700x
Go slow and watch.or get one of these.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382485510910.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382485510910.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 379
Deer have the same range of hearing as humans. If you can't hear it neither will deer. Also look at the bugs on your windscreen. How many did the whistle swallow? Think it is still working even if deer could hear it?

No scientific evidence of the effect of deer whistles.

Save your money on the deer whistles. They're pretty much snake oil. I used to live in Colorado, and I can't count how many vehicles had the whistles, and they still smacked the deer.

I know someone that cut a deer in half with his BMW motorcycle. Happened so fast he wasn't sure what happened.
I don't think the deer know the deer whistles are deer whistles. Save your money.

The best defense would probably be to constantly blow your horn. Animals generally don't like heading in the direction of loud irritating noises that are man made.

Of course that will negate most of the fun of riding.

The deer in Northern IL will graze two feet from the edge of the road while traffic is traveling at 40 mph.

Some will not even raise their heads with a horn honk........but may bolt in any direction if scared.
Part of this behavior is they have no fear of cars or humans and there is no hunting in north eastern IL counties.
My neighbor's dog got the crap beat out it by a full grown doe protecting the young fawns. Needless to say they are a huge problem for bikes, cars and property.

Now that deer can jump. Jeez.

I worry about deer too. I've mentioned before about 13 miles of my ride to work is back roads. I have ridden the route since March. I know where I have seen deer but it was not at the peak of Rut. I believe that is normally around the first two weeks of November. They get a little crazy around that time frame and aren't thinking straight. I have tried to size up the road. My route. Luckily there are several fences. Usually but not always they don't cross the road into a fence. They usually just mosey around and don't seem to want to expend the energy unless they get freak out. That changes things. They can jump a fence but it’s just my experience you’re a little safer in those areas. In my case, the area I really worry about is a low area with a stream that crosses under the road. I have seen deer there several times. There are no fences inhibiting there movement and lots of vegetation. I keep the high beams on if possible or I follow a car through that couple mile stretch. I see new road kill just about everyday on this stretch and any one of them can cause and accident but I worry about the deer more. Nothing like getting blindsided by something that weighs as much as I do.

I had a customer who was with this wife riding a GL1800 in Arkansas. On his right hand side was a mountain, and on his left was a huge cliff. A Bambi jumped from the hill to the roadway, landed on the fake tank, two feet on one side and to two feet on the other side going along for the ride. Down all three went. The driver broke his arm, from the impact of the deer. The passenger broke her collar bone in the crash. And the deer, he just got up, gave everyone a dirty look and just ran away. Bike was total.

The 1st day the GL1800, the first GL1800 that came in to the shop, I had the techs put me one together for a Destin, FL ride. Ron pulled the bike around front, and you know it a walk in customer came in and bought it. He traded a big Kawasaki, so I take this bike to Destin. This bike was making a low freq sound, that I could not figure out. So, when I stopped to eat, I went to looking for what was wrong with this bike. This fellow had 4 of those deer whistles. I have never taken any trip where I have dodged so many deer. That whistle had to be some sort of deer sex call. When I got to Florida all four came off the bike before I went home.

I had a customer who was with this wife riding a GL1800 in Arkansas. On his right hand side was a mountain, and on his left was a huge cliff. A Bambi jumped from the hill to the roadway, landed on the fake tank, two feet on one side and to two feet on the other side going along for the ride. Down all three went. The driver broke his arm, from the impact of the deer. The passenger broke her collar bone in the crash. And the deer, he just got up, gave everyone a dirty look and just ran away. Bike was total.

I told you they do crazy stuff. That's what you call a suicidal bambi. That's nuts. Who'd a thought it would be raining deer. It was probably running from a buck.

I live in north central Ohio. Even with all the deer taken during hunting season, they are still gathering in herds of 50 to 90 just 2 miles south of the town I live in. So close calls are way too often. They just haven't evolved to be aware of traffic after all these years. It's not something they can relate to. They will wait for a while at the edge of the woods or field , then bolt at the last second. I wonder if they will respond to some of the after market horns that are so loud it would wake the dead. I intend to install one and hope it helps. It's a serious problem in many areas. I get pretty nervous when riding roads with woods that come to within 15 ft. of the road. I keep one finger on the front brake and 2 on the clutch lever. I don't ride with the balls of my feet on the pegs. I want my foot setting right above the rear break. Guess I'm a bit paranoid at this point. In 2006 I watched the love of my life tee bone a deer at only 45 mph. She never had a chance to respond. She was wearing a new and expensive Arai, but still died from blunt trauma. So I take this deer problem very seriously. Apparently many of us on this forum do as well. I'm very glad to see that. A LOUD horn is next for me. But I admit, life is a total crap shoot as soon as we get on the bike. But to all of us, it's obviously worth the gamble. I would appreciate your opinions on the loud horn idea. Max

I can't say that deer are a huge problem around here, but then the hunting season is fairly big. Bows and black powder pretty much from mid September to the end of the year, and anything goes the first two weeks in November. Most of the people I work with will be gone those two weeks. Nice and quiet shop, and all the venison pepperettes I can eat after those two weeks are up.

Back