• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Advice needed from experienced riders...

Give it time. It will become habit if you do it enough. Three steps to the turn, signal on prior to turn, turn, signal off after turn. Same with lane changes, signal on, change lane, signal off. My Goldwing does the auto-cancel thing, but I still push the signal switch to cancel it even though I don't have too. It just keeps the habit going across my "fleet". :)

Another thing you should be doing is scanning. Scan ahead, mirrors, and instrument panel routinely. The flashing indicator light will get your attention if you include the instrument panel in your scanning.

Or, if you want to go old school, use hand signals. Chances are you won't forget to cancel a hand signal. :)

WGW
I agree completely. Professional drivers are like pilots in this regard. Train with the same routine every time and it becomes second nature - an automated process without the need for conscious thought.

I like the bumper sticker I see occasionally "Forget World Peace. Imagine using your turn signals". If you use your turn signals every and turn them off every time you won't leave them on very often.

After 40 years or so, I've developed three habits that help with turn signals.
1. Try to build the habit of always using them and canceling them as soon as the turn or lane change is complete. In other words as soon as the bike is no longer leaning into the turn, cancel the signal.
2. Scan the gauges regularly. That way if habit 1 doesn't happen for some reason the flashing indicator will remind me.
3. (And this is the one I use a lot) Practice situational awareness while I'm mentally chewing myself out for once again forgetting to do 1 and 2.

Bob

Once you replace the OEM clothes dryer buzzer with a couple of real horns, you will get more than stares.

I've long since replaced the stock Road Runner horn with my salvaged Freeway Blaster (high tone). I also sprang for a new low tone Blaster and a relay for the pair of them, but it's waiting for me to get up enough gumption to attack the body work again to get them mounted up top somewhere along with my salvaged Fuzeblock. After wrasslin' with those panels for the heated grip kit from Honda, I'm in no particular hurry to have them beat me up again just yet. Soon, though.

Just want to thank all of you on the forum who responded to my question. The overwhelming response was to continue to use my signals 100% and that in time it will become 2nd nature to turn them off. I am back to using them always and will follow your advise. Thanks.

Joe
San Jose

Back