• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Advert

nelmo

Reaction score
Visit site
Recently, the response time on this forum has gone to pot - every time I click on a new page, it appears ok but I can't do anything (scroll, reply) for about 3 seconds and then the screen flashes, the posts re-arrange themselves and finally I have response.

This seems to be caused by the one advert at the top of the page - is this new? I've not noticed an advert there before....

Does that ad disappear if I contribute some cash? ;)

This seems to be caused by the one advert at the top of the page - is this new? I've not noticed an advert there before....

I use the "/etc/hosts" file trick. If you use Windows (I've been Windows free, at home, for almost 20 years now), the file is found in this path:
<system drive letter>:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

I won't go into the gory details what the hosts file is for - Google it (mvps has the explanation). I think the best hosts file available is from mvps (again, Google it). Just add its entries into your hosts file and all those crazy ads and such are almost nil. Find a site you frequent that has ads not in the mvps hosts? Fine, add those servers into your hosts file manually.

The great thing about using this method is it's operating system based, i.e., not a "browser plugin", so no matter what tool you're using to access Internet content, the ads won't be allowed to interfere.

I use the "/etc/hosts" file trick. If you use Windows (I've been Windows free, at home, for almost 20 years now), the file is found in this path:
<system drive letter>:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

I won't go into the gory details what the hosts file is for - Google it (mvps has the explanation). I think the best hosts file available is from mvps (again, Google it). Just add its entries into your hosts file and all those crazy ads and such are almost nil. Find a site you frequent that has ads not in the mvps hosts? Fine, add those servers into your hosts file manually.

The great thing about using this method is it's operating system based, i.e., not a "browser plugin", so no matter what tool you're using to access Internet content, the ads won't be allowed to interfere.

This intsall instruction come with pictures too! LOL. Good site.

Recently, the response time on this forum has gone to pot - every time I click on a new page, it appears ok but I can't do anything (scroll, reply) for about 3 seconds and then the screen flashes, the posts re-arrange themselves and finally I have response.

Does that ad disappear if I contribute some cash? ;)

I have this https://adblockplus.org/ running continuously. I never seem to see that many ads on any site I visit now.

I have this https://adblockplus.org/ running continuously. I never seem to see that many ads on any site I visit now.

The downside is this is browser specific ... what if you run 2-3 browsers? No biggie if you only run one. Otherwise you have to install and maintain an addon for each browser. And as you add more addons, the browser gets bloated. And there can be conflicts along addons.

The downside is this is browser specific ... what if you run 2-3 browsers? No biggie if you only run one. Otherwise you have to install and maintain an addon for each browser. And as you add more addons, the browser gets bloated. And there can be conflicts along addons.

the problem with the hosts file is that it is computer specific... I use more than one computer (and phone) through out the day...
Solution, install the host file on an Open WRT router and let it block all the ad sites for you.

Or just deal with the ads, they do pay for the site that we are using, so it only seems fair to at least let it count as a view for the site so that they get some money back...
I guess you could click that "donate" button up at the top of the page too if you wanted to support the service you are using with out ads (does donating remove ads here?)

Most of the ads become hidden when you log in so only unregistered / not logged in members see the ads. the banner at the very top (South Bound Honda) is our biggest supporter so everyone sees it. Is this the one causing the slow down?

Question for the admin: does this site use Adobe Flash or Shockwave?
The OP stated his screen flashes and in experiencing this with many users, this can be caused by the local computer not having up to date Flash or windows updates (if using Windows 8).
I don't have any problems with the pages loading and I am using IE11 and Windows 8.1 (with all windows updates).

I am running on windows XP and Explorer 6. Any updates done to improve my computer would have been somewhere back in 2006-ish maybe or so?

Not logged in, I do not have any problems with lack of speed, or weird flashy things or rearranging posts etc.

Ads are there that aren't when I'm logged in of course, but I do not know if additional stuff is or isn't present due to any contributions.

No noticeable problems at all with the Southbound Honda ad. It is a non issue for me.

Some screen captures:

These always change and some are animated to a degree, but don't do anything overtly obvious to speed or text/posting for me.

ad01.jpg

ad02.jpg

ad03.jpg

I feel a strange urge to drive sports cars and go on dates with good looking girls, though. :confused:

Most of the ads become hidden when you log in so only unregistered / not logged in members see the ads. the banner at the very top (South Bound Honda) is our biggest supporter so everyone sees it. Is this the one causing the slow down?

I find zero problems with the South Bound ad, myself.

I did even know there were any adds besides South Bound Honda's. I've never seen any of the adds above and my pages always load fast.

Or just deal with the ads, they do pay for the site that we are using, so it only seems fair to at least let it count as a view for the site so that they get some money back...

Don't get me rwong, I didn't update my hosts file for just this site - I do a lot of other Internet browsing.
I've been doing the hosts trick for years ...

The router \ hosts file is a nice trick, but I think a lot of folks wouldn't know how to go about doing that.

So are these ad things only doing evil when people are viewing but not logged in or registered, or what? I'd have thought with my stone knives and bearskin OS and much out of date browser, coupled with no anti-spam or pop up blockers, or adblock things of any consequence and so on, that if there was a problem, I would have been the first to know, and nuked out of the water long before most others.

I'm thinking any issues may be more due to an individuals personal gear and settings, antivirus protection choice, internet provider etc., etc., maybe.

Yes, it seems to be that one. The other, larger banner appears almost immediately but the southbound Honda ad takes ages - in fact even longer now :-( although I do now seem to have some control before it appears. But when it appears, everything still flickers etc...

I am using an Android tablet, if that helps...

Last edited:
Yes, it seems to be that one. The other, larger banner appears almost immediately but the southbound Honda ad takes ages - in fact even longer now :-( although I do now seem to have some control before it appears. But when it appears, everything still flickers etc...

I am using an Android tablet, if that helps...

To me, this is very strange! I didn't even know the South Bound ad thingie *was* a banner! I just thought it was somehow now, part and parcel with the backround page. It never appears or disappears, or loads, or anything else, it might as well be painted on my monitor, lol.

Of course this helps you not in the least, I'm sorry mate :(

I still think it's an OS issue or hardware/firmware set up on your end though.

I see no ads except for South Bound Honda. Do 95% of my browsing on my PC running Win 7 and using the Google Chrome browser and maybe 4% on my Android tablet and 1% on my iPhone. Don't recall if I set anything specifically to block ads on the PC with Chrome. Gave up on Internet Explorer ages ago. It's simply a bloated, virus attracting browser IMO. Pages load very quickly for me. :confused:

Another vote for AdBlocker Plus. I used to maintain a hosts file but no longer need to. I use multiple browser platforms (Chrome & Firefox -- no IE) and operating systems (Ubuntu, XP, Win7, Android) as well. Everything is very 'snappy' on my browsers including this site.

It takes a while for the south bound banner to load on my tab 3. Email notifications are non existent as well.

Back