• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Adjusting chain tension with side stand vs. center stand?

1" deflection is the easy # to remember but sitting on the bike and reaching down to get that # is the accurate adjustment.
Even my C125A manual has the bike on the main stand but will result in 2 adjuster flats TOO tight. IMO better too loose than too tight.

I don't understand how this is contentious. Adjust the chain, on the side stand, to the range it says on the swingarm. You don't have to remember it, it's written right there. It isn't any more complicated than that. From the manual:

1. Place your motorcycle on the side stand on a level surface.
2. Stop the engine. Place the transmission in Neutral.
3. Check the slack in the lower half of the drive chain midway between the sprockets.

Drive chain slack:
30 to 40 mm (1.2 to 1.6 in)

4. Roll the motorcycle forward and check that the chain moves smoothly.

Read The Full Manual

The problem is the chain tension changes constantly as the wheel travels up and down; called concentric movement.
Ideally, the 1" deflection is when the axle is at 3 o'clock position; the tightest it will be. From that point up and down it will be loosening.

The problem is the chain tension changes constantly as the wheel travels up and down; called concentric movement.
Ideally, the 1" deflection is when the axle is at 3 o'clock position; the tightest it will be. From that point up and down it will be loosening.
Technical info like this always gets me all hot & bothered

I’m not sure how it’s a problem. Honda has already sorted out the geometry. Set the chain slack per the owner’s manual and go ride.

My 'problem' w/Elmo is if I adjust him to the manual his chain is too tight. Perhaps OK w/Honda but not w/me.
Elmo is my C125A. He's the younger brother to MO my 2015 red MOtus. Both bikes have 17" wheels, thus are related.

Last edited:
Back