• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Accessory connections

Craigmri

Reaction score
Visit site
OK I've read tons of stuff here on adding accessories and I "think" I know my options but what clarification.

I intend on running a Garmin GPS. I also intend on installing a USB double outlet in the frunk and I also want to install a multiple USB/cigarette type power center in the Honda accessory top box.

The GPS and Frunk power point I want switched but the top box unit I want constant(this connector also doubles as a trickle charger plug so I want a direct battery connection).

The top box is straight forward but the GPS and the Frunk power point will be switched power. I read I have a couple of choices....Add the Honda subharness/relay kit or go with the Fuzeblock solution. Am I understanding this correctly?

Craig

Or do your own relay wiring harness but yes those are your basic options.....I'm assuming the Fuzeblock solution you are talking about includes a relay.

From my understanding the Fuzeblock setup has its own on-board relay. I read that you wire the device to the battery direct and it needs a signal such as a tail light or the like and thats the trigger for the on-board relay. Then you have multiple terminal taps to get power for multiple devices. Its about $80 for the Fuzeblock so I'm not sure if I'm going that route or another.

Craig

I'd go with the Honda relay kit if that is all you are going to add plus you need it anyhow if you want to add the Honda heated grips later. If you are going to add more stuff like lights, horns, etc then I'd go with the Fuzeblock. The Honda relay kit comes with a 7.5amp fuse. USB is normally 1amp per port and I figure the GPS is about an amp.

Craig,
The Honda sub harness and relay would probably be less expensive and you wouldn't have to attach more cables to the battery. IIRC the sub harness has connectors for either 3 or 4 circuits. The downside is if you want individual fuses for each accessory you'd have to use in line fuses or a standard (as in no relay required) fuse block. Personally I'd go with the sub harness and relay. The sub harness is fused, so the circuits are still protected. The only advantage to adding individual fuses is that if a fuse blows you only lose that accessory instead of all the accessories attached to the harness.

Another option is to just get the relay kit and hook up a non relay equipped fuse block to the same connector that the sub harness would use. It's already on the bike behind the left side body work.

Bob

Just placed my order with Procaliber and got 5% off the following prices by using SPRING2013 in Promo code during checkout.

Qty. Part Number Product Name Price Line Total
1 08A70-MGS-D30 KIT, RELAY SET - KIT, RELAY SET $9.95 $9.95
1 08A71-MGS-D30 KIT, SUB-HARNESS - KIT, SUB-HARNESS $19.96 $19.96
1 08F73-MGS-A50 SADDLEBAG PANEL, NARROW - SADDLEBAG PANEL, NARROW $70.16 $70.16
1 08L55-EWL-100E TRUNK., R. BLACK (45L) - TRUNK., R. BLACK (45L) $233.96 $233.96
1 08L72-MGS-A30 KIT, RR. CARRIER - KIT, RR. CARRIER $116.96 $116.96
1 08L73-MGS-A30 SADDLEBAG MOUNTING BRACKET - SADDLEBAG MOUNTING BRACKET $155.96 $155.96
1 08L74-MGS-A30 CARRIER & SDLBG STAY - CARRIER & SDLBG STAY $116.96 $116.96
1 08L76-MGS-A50 SADDLEBAG (29L 1 KEY) - SADDLEBAG (29L 1 KEY) $443.96 $443.96

Craig

You can always up-size the fuse rating since it's standard mini fuse.
That was my thought even though their spec says max fuse size 10 amp. I sent them this email:
A Stebel horn draws 13 amps but is short intermittent use. Can I safely wire one to a FZ1 and put a 15 amp fuse to protect from a short? (I have used 15 amp fuse to Stebel on another bike successfully.)

I received this reply:
You are correct that the short bursts should not impact it and we know of customers that have done this. But, with that being said, we've also had customers have the diode protection fail because of the air horns and the quick draw.

So I guess the answer is that it's been done, but because of some of the sub-systems, we still suggest 10.

Thanks for checking,
Fuzeblocks

Always best to purchase manufacture sub harness. If for some reason this does not work, good rule of thumb and usually easiest to tie into, is to next look to the wires that connect to the head light bulb because on and off connects to ignition switch. On the NC700 this is the white wire. To remove the bulb connector just pull the connector straight back, nothing fancy here.
This makes it easy to get to. Four wires here, and you want the white wire. It turns on and off with the ignition key. However, when you do need the high beam the accessory will turn off.
As some states require by law that you can not run the high beam and running lights together at same time, this is the place to hook the running lights to on NC700.

On my bike I will have both as I think some others already do. I will put the Honda heated grips on which require the acessory harness. To me the advantage of the FZ-1 is the ability to have any of the 6 power points either on all the time or just with the engine on. If I change my mind on an individual point all that is required is to move the fuse.

OK guys,

Now that I got my relay kit and Harness on the way, does anyone know where I can buy the corresponding connector for the Harness? I figure the harness has four output connectors so it would be great to have the appropriate connectors for my accessories so I can plug and unplug at will. Anybody know which connector to buy for accessory side?

Craig

I've never been able to find matching connectors for the sub harness. I just used 1/8 inch spade connectors insulated with heat shrink tubing. I think car stereo shops usually stock them but I think I found the ones I used at Radio Shack. The spade connectors fit tightly enough to be secure and they are easily disconnected. You just have to push them onto the pins inside the sub harness connectors? I thought about cutting the Honda connectors off and getting connectors that matched each other, but the spades work well and they were easy to do.

Hopefully someone can come up with a source for matching Honda connectors. Even though the spade connectors work well, I'm obsessive compulsive enough about the bike to replace them with factory connectors if I could find some.

Bob

I cut the Honda supplied connector off of the one I used to power my Fuzeblock and replaced it with a female .110 Molex 2-wire that I had the matching male for.

Back