• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A NooB Story

2soon2old

Reaction score
Visit site
May 2015 marked the end of the bleakest three years of my life. (I was too young for Korea, and too old for Viet Nam, so I don't have a very difficult benchmark.) In March-April, 2015 she remarked, about every week, something similar to: "I hope you will be able to enjoy life."

June 2015: My friends advised me to find some activity that I could enjoy without her. A BSA from 55 years back came to mind. Did some research, went looking for a modern substitute. What I got is a 2013 NC700X with the larger factory windscreen, the center stand, and the power outlet. Liked the knobby tires. Sold to me as new with what was claimed as a "substantial" discount. I made sure that I could get it upright unassisted before taking the deal.

Three months now, 155 miles. It's a great bike, but, am I really enjoying it?

Snow's here. Time to put it into hibernation. See you, virtually, next spring. Or..maybe not.

If riding through twisties does not bring a smile to your face then you may have changed too much over time to enjoy motorcycling.
I am much younger (42) and have been riding since 18 always DS bikes and dirt riding seemed to be the thing I enjoyed most in the past. During the last rides I did 2 years ago before a lean wallet mandated to put the DR in the shade for long, I was finding out that I did not really enjoy dirt riding any more and I am now looking into modifying the DR towards mainly tarmac use. If you asked me on such a possibility 3 years ago I would answer "no way". And here I am.
Bottom line: People change, the more time the more the change.

However, do try riding over some scenic narrow twisty roads without any screen protection, just you helmet, before you let her go away. You may find that cars have spoiled you too much so you try to find their luxuries with accessories not really compatible to what the motorcycling spirit really is.

2soon2old,
Sorry to hear about your loss. As difficult and tragic as it was, TIME seems to heal most tragedies. Keep looking forward and savor the happy and fun things in your future life and cherish the wonderful things in your past life.

Thank you for your thoughts. Yes, people change over time.

In your shoes I would look over the most appealing route and most appealing bike (may loan/rent it for this test as it may not be the NC), do a lengthy ride on best attainable conditions and then decide if motorcycling is just out of the picture for you.
Just note that riding alone is one thing, riding with fellow rider company is another story.

For me, riding alone is the essence, a self journey into my own thoughts, a kind of meditation. However, I am still too financially weak to have the DR back on the road and its been close to 2 years now. I use cars to get things done but no bike to ride because I love riding. If you ever said me 3 years ago I would be bike less for so long I would again proclaim "no way" and yet, here I am. Not only no dirt riding but no riding at all.

In the end you may find sailing is for you, or whatever else "floats your boat".
However, regarding old age, over the other NC forum I read for a 93 or so year old guy that recently completed his motorcycle tour of France the other day.
As reported there (too lazy to search the link), this guy was a tail gunner at a WWII bomber "most flying hours, first in the air, last on the ground" with a life expectancy of 6 months back then.
When asked if he had any fears about the journey he said something like "no, little Johny will come along with me". Little Johny is 83 years old or so. 'nough said, I think.

Oh, please report back which course you chose. It could come handy for others having second thoughts.

Last edited:
Sorry for your loss "not2old".

I missed Vietnam by one year, so I'm not a spring chicken, but I'm younger than some. I just got back into riding after being off for 32 years.
Hope to see you in the spring ....somewhere!

I am a little younger than you. Vietnam was my era though I didn't have to go because I got a high lottery number - literally the luck of the draw. I returned to motorcycling just over a year ago after a 35 year hiatus and it has really changed my life for the better. There is something incredibly Zen-like and soothing about being on a bike. It demands that you concentrate on the task at hand. It's a great cleanser of soul and spirit as it forces you to be there and nowhere else. As a returning rider now that I have gotten over the newness and nerves I have settled into a oneness with the machine that I find deeply satisfying. I look forward to my rides more than I have looked forward to anything in years. The kids are grown, education and career are mostly behind me and the future seems a little less foreboding with so many roads to explore.

You might take a look at the life of Neil Peart. He is the drummer for the Rock group Rush and he used his motorcyle to help get him through losing his 19 year-old daughter and his wife within a 10 month span. He put 55,000 miles on his bike and wrote a book about it called "Ghost Rider: Travels on the Healing Road".

Sorry for your loss. Good luck.

I've been through some crap in my life and the worst part of it is to go through the hard times, when nothing gives hope for better future.
But it will change with time, I promise you that. For every rainy day ends sooner or later, and sun shines again.

As to riding the bike - don't push it. If you take your NC out in the spring and you still won't be sure if you like it, just sell it and look for something else. Life's to short to waste time doing things you don't enjoy.
Still, I hope you will take pleasure in riding the bike, and that it'll help you getting through.

Love from Poland!

Back