• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

A bit of arbitary rambling and praise for the NC700X

speedfox_2002

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi

This post is just some of my thoughts and praise after owning my 2012 NC700X Generation 1 (NON ABS) Manual, for some time now.
It turned over 70000km this morning and I thought it would be a good time to write a bit about its long term life.

let see, aside from service items....in its lifetime I've had to replace or fix.......nothing.
I think there are very few other bikes out there you can say that hit 70000km and are still as almost good as new.
I'm a big guy, 130kg 6 foot 7 inches tall and I live in Johannesburg South africa which is 5500 feet above sea level. So not only are we down 17% on power compared to coastal riders but I effectively ride 2 up all the time due to my weight.
But "Sheila" or the "old girl" as I affectionately term her. just takes it all in her stride. day in day out, rain, winter, blazing African heat no problems.
I do 112km a Day every week day and sometimes more on weekends. mostly highways at around 110km/h and it delivers 28km/l millage. Not bad at all! that's better than some 250cc bikes.
Sure its a bit slow and the brakes aren't the best but I can honestly compare it to a VW bettle or Morris Mini or VW Rabbit/Golf, they just keep going and going. I don't want to jinx it but I've never seen or had another bike as reliable.

Its forks and seals are fine, uses no oil, seat is fine no tears, tyres (Bridgestone BT023) last 30000km, X ring chains and sprockets last 25000km+, I use chain wax only. not lube. Brake pads last 50000+
I've put a K&N filter in it. The only reason for this is cost. I don't ever have to replace the filter. I just clean it, oil it and pop it back in. it makes NO difference to performance if anyone is interested.
It runs iridium plugs as standard so the only thing i have to do in a service is change the oil and filter.
I use Castrol Actevo 10w-40 Mineral oil and the best filter I can get locally. currently HiFlo filters. The oil is around $5 a litre and the filter is around $13.50 at my local bike shop (cheaper if you buy it online)
So every time i service it, it costs....less than $30 and that's every 12000km, valves/tappets have never been an issue.
I've looked around at possibly replacing it with another slightly more powerful machine and there is just nothing to match it for daily commuting use.

I run the standard 16/43t combo sprocket but being high up and heavy I want to get a bit more torque and go for a 44t or 45t. what do you guys think? I've used a 44t before. but never a 45t at the rear(too much? or will it be fine?)

so to sum it up. the nc700 will go down in history as a never say die machine. Honestly love mine to bits. I have a CB1000R and I choose Sheila over the CB1000R any day.
an added bonus is that it handles so nicely. I've almost no chicken strip left on the tyre(i've never been on a track) its rock solid through corners and has no tendency to under or over steer
If i was the designer I would have changed the brakes to be a little more powerful(as per the ABS version and NC750). That's about it.

I have not ridden a nc750 or the ABS version so I cant comment on those, but i would buy another 700 in a heartbeat. and they hold their value VERY well. even with 70000km on mine i will not lose much money if i sell it. which I have no intention of doing.

I've added a few mods.
  • Heated Oxford Touring Grips
  • Fender extender to reduce water splashup from the front wheel (It's not that effective unfortunately)
  • Hand protectors on the bar ends
  • Removed the screen. With my height its just creates annoying buffeting.
  • HID Headlight
  • Givi Top Box with brake light and extra red LED brake strips on the number plate.
  • Adjustable levers, nice for reach and a bit of bling bling haha
  • 12v Charging socket in the load bin, always useful to have
  • CTek connectivity and charging capability

I'd like to add a set of spot lights as the light is not brilliant. And we have wild animals running over the highways fairly often etc.
I'd like to upgrade the brake caliper to the 3 pot ABS system, but its a tad pricey so will leave it for now.
Braided hoses for the front? Maybe a colour matching one oneday. I doubt there will be much braking effect
and a nice gel seat for those long trips.

She's got SBS Sintered brake pads in at the moment. Better than the Galfer I had before. But I think ill try EBC Sintered HH next time.

Below a pic of the Sheila and a close up of the fender extender.

Attachments

• IMG-20150822-00163.jpg
    IMG-20150822-00163.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 350
  • IMG-20150824-00166.jpg
    IMG-20150824-00166.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Nice writeup! I mounted a Stebel horn on my NC so now it has a much stronger "voice" in potentially dangerous situations with cars.

I'd guess that changing the gearing will improve acceleration but have a negative effect on fuel economy.

Last edited:
Nice writeup! I mounted a Stebel horn on my NC so now it has a much stronger "voice" in potentially dangerous situations with cars. I'd guess that changing the gearing will improve acceleration but have a negative effect on fuel economy.

I don't mind a slight drop in fuel economy if the torque curve improves slightly. it almost feels as if its just out of its optimimum power band at lower speeds. hence the gearing change.
hehe that horn must be LOUD!

I run the standard 16/43t combo sprocket but being high up and heavy I want to get a bit more torque and go for a 44t or 45t. what do you guys think? I've used a 44t before. but never a 45t at the rear(too much? or will it be fine?)

Minus one tooth on the front is the same as plus three teeth on the rear. So your prospective change is like 2/3 of a front tooth - in other words, quite reasonable. I have a 16/45t sprocket set waiting for my next chain renewal. Lowered gearing can, but does not always, significantly lower the fuel mileage. Especially if your speed and engine load are such that you are often running the engine at very low manifold vacuum.

Minus one tooth on the front is the same as plus three teeth on the rear. So your prospective change is like 2/3 of a front tooth - in other words, quite reasonable. I have a 16/45t sprocket set waiting for my next chain renewal. Lowered gearing can, but does not always, significantly lower the fuel mileage. Especially if your speed and engine load are such that you are often running the engine at very low manifold vacuum.

Many thanks

My guess is that Honda has carefully calculated how to squeeze the highest miles per liter/gallon from the NC and it often results in what we experienced riders feel as "lugging the engine." Whenever my X upshifts, it feels as if the engine is being lugged but no harm is being done. :)

My other bike (NT700V) is also fitted with a Stebel horn. On a trip last year, we were being led by a close friend and he made a wrong turn at a junction. Rather than chase him down, I honked the horn and it got his attention from 200 feet away!

Thanks for that excellent report and confidence builder for the NC700.
For those of us who are NOT 6'7", and therefore probably weigh a LOT less, our mileage figures will likely well exceed yours, especially if living nearer sea level.
I live at 300' (100m) but there are mountain passes that are 8400' less than 100 miles from me.

For those of us who are NOT 6'7", and therefore probably weigh a LOT less, our mileage figures will likely well exceed yours, especially if living nearer sea level.
I live at 300' (100m) but there are mountain passes that are 8400' less than 100 miles from me.

I'm not sure of the physics of it, but I've gotten some of my best fuel economy at high elevations on my last several bikes, some carbureted and some fuel injected. Maybe I'm just riding slower there.

Last edited:
I'm not sure of the physics of it, but I've gotten some of my best fuel economy at high elevations on my last several bikes, some carbureted and some fuel injected. Maybe I'm just riding slower there.

The best mileage I've recorded yet, was packed to the gills with a ton of camping gear, and my less-aerodynamic-than-the-backside-of-a-Ford-van, Trax panniers and top box, just on the west side of the Rocky Mountains (so quite a bit higher in elev. than where I live right @ sea level on the coast)

With gear I'm somewhere in the 250-275 lb range, and with all the luggage and metal boxes, I'd estimate a laden bike cargo weight of around at least 450 lbs. I can't remember what the official rating limit is for the NCX off hand, but it must be pretty close to that.

A steady and relaxed continuous pace of about 60 mph or less, without overt traffic interruption, too many elevation changes or headwinds, seemed to be just the ticket for me. :D

well my 28km/l translate to 65.86Mpg, i think thats pretty good. are you guys getting more? i thought that was about the "average"
let me know, interesting to find out

I think that is pretty good too, but the crucial thing to note is, all the best figures recorded including mine, are usually well below what a lot of people consider "average" highway speed. ie: mine can be awesome at 60 mph, so-so at 70 mph, meh at 80 mph. Some people wouldn't consider going under 75-80 mph, whereas I very seldom ride at that speed sustained.

Realistically speaking, if I am keeping up with traffic doing the usual 65-70 mph +/- then I would expect to see right around your mpg's myself. I don't ride my bike enough back to back, day in day out to ever get a super consistent figure as I don't commute on it, only weekend trips and longer tours. Thus my mpg's can very wildly from tank to tank.

Excellent write up on the virtues of the NC. Very practicable bike overall. I think that is how Honda went about developing it. Add some additional storage and it can do it all. Sometimes when our group goes for a weekend ride, I will take off the top box for a more 'sporty' look and still have plenty of storage for a bottle of water and some snacks without having to wear a backpack.

Almost prefer to ride the NC over my four wheel vehicle even if it means taking a risk with some rain.

Personally, I don't have the need for speed. My previous bike was a 1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900. One day on a ride with some friends I had the opportunity to really see how fast it would go. 95mph was enough for me.

Back