• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018 Goldwing DCT

900 pounds is just a little scary to me. I did ride a 2017 Street Glide that I suppose weighs 850.
I found this on line, basically training wheels for big bikes. They drop at low speed.

LegUp by Chopper Design - LegUp Home Page

Better than a trike, I guess.

As far big bikes, I have to say I am impressed by the new Harley Heritage Classic, lighter, bigger engine, better suspension.

Last edited:
900 pounds is just a little scary to me. I did ride a 2017 Street Glide that I suppose weighs 850.
I found this on line, basically training wheels for big bikes. They drop at low speed.

LegUp by Chopper Design - LegUp Home Page

Better than a trike, I guess.

As far big bikes, I have to say I am impressed by the new Harley Heritage Classic, lighter, bigger engine, better suspension.
You should try a Goldwing sometime, even a 10 or 15 year old one. It's an entirely different ride and handling dynamic than any HD.

Ride a DCT in a traffic jam, and you will never want to pull a clutch again.
When I ride my non DCT bike, I soon start thinking shifting is a pointless waste of time.

Ride a DCT in a traffic jam, and you will never want to pull a clutch again.
When I ride my non DCT bike, I soon start thinking shifting is a pointless waste of time.

I was pondering this aspect recently when in heavy traffic at crawl speed, and I came to the conclusion that for low gear and very low speed operation I would prefer the variable belt drive of my former Silverwing FJS600. From memory that system was a little more seamless than a DCT swapping between the bottom two gears imho.

I was pondering this aspect recently when in heavy traffic at crawl speed, and I came to the conclusion that for low gear and very low speed operation I would prefer the variable belt drive of my former Silverwing FJS600. From memory that system was a little more seamless than a DCT swapping between the bottom two gears imho.

No need to be concerned with DCT in a traffic jam. I sit in them all the time in Chicago and if I find it shifting too frequently to suit me, I just flip it to S1 which holds first (and second) gear a little longer OR I’ll flip in to manual and use the shift trigger to shift it my way. Either way, it’s a fine alternative to pulling a clutch lever - for me! YMMV!

I am always amazed at your breadth and depth of knowledge. Seriously one of the best contributors to any forum I have ever been on. Really appreciate you being so helpful and well informed! I am going to post a newbie question regarding LED lights if you wouldn't mind chiming in.

am always amazed at your breadth and depth of knowledge. Seriously one of the best contributors to any forum I have ever been on. Really appreciate you being so helpful and well informed! I am going to post a newbie question regarding LED lights if you wouldn't mind chiming in.

I am always amazed at your breadth and depth of knowledge. Seriously one of the best contributors to any forum I have ever been on. Really appreciate you being so helpful and well informed! I am going to post a newbie question regarding LED lights if you wouldn't mind chiming in.

umm. "Calling 670cc to the podium".
Please take a bow :)

The goldwing is about as perfect to perfect two person up motorcycle ever make. However, I just do not ride two up anymore!!!!!!!! All of us have different needs............

So, seven speed dct with walking and reverse.

I wonder what changes are coming for other bikes.

[I wonder what changes are coming for other bikes.]

They will have BNG (bold new graphics)!

The technical tidbits on the new Wing are interesting but even with a weight reduction of 80-90 pounds, it's still too close to a half-ton. And for me, that about 400-500 pounds too much.

The new 1800 Wing has 1.1 gallon less fuel capacity and 40 liters less cargo capacity. No doubt the new suspension, engine, and transmissions are awesome, but this is a touring motorcycle, right? Two up, it may barely have enough luggage space for an overnight trip.

Honda sells a lot of bikes (that's all they're in it for), but they overlook some important features and brush them off with excuses. For example, the majority of their motorcycle lineup, Goldwing excepted, does not have a passenger seat, at least that any passenger would want to ride on. The NC has a painfully small fuel tank and a torture device seat. The NM4 has saddle bags that hold, what, a pair of gloves each? People buy these products, me included, then realize later they need to be modified to make them usable at even a basic level.

At any rate the new 'Wing looks impressive and will surely sell well, at least to those with disposable income. I'm glad they're building it, but I'm in no rush to buy one.

BTW, whatever happened to the NeoWing?

Last edited:
The 1.1 gallon smaller fuel tank is supposed to be a non issue, as Honda advertises the range is the same as the previous gen cycle due to higher fuel efficiency.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The aftermarket exists to correct the inadequacies in design and equipment of virtually every brand of motorcycle. Why single out Honda?

Tour on an NM-4? Where, to anime conventions?

I know couples that tour two up on ST1300s with just a top box and standard panniers. Pack light and leave the hair dryer at home. Can't do that? Install a hitch and pull a little trailer. Plenty of Wingers do that now. Better yet, buy a bigger trailer, put the Gold Wing in it, and hitch it all to the truck and go touring.

The 1.1 gallon smaller fuel tank is supposed to be a non issue, as Honda advertises the range is the same as the previous gen cycle due to higher fuel efficiency.

Yes, I heard that.

Given that I average 42 mpg on my ‘02 1800 (although in reality it’s less because the odometer is optimistic). Also, let’s say that usable fuel capacity is more like 0.5 gallon left in the tank rather than running it dry. So we went from usable 6.1 gallons to usable 5.0 gallons. For the same range, I’d need to average 51.2 mpg on the 1833 engine. I love seeing efficiency improvements, and I’m all on board with that whole concept, but I think 51.2 mpg is a challenge. Let’s hope it’s real.

Last edited:
Yes, I heard that.

Given that I average 42 mpg on my ‘02 1800 (although in reality it’s less because the odometer is optimistic). Also, let’s say that usable fuel capacity is more like 0.5 gallon left in the tank rather than running it dry. So we went from usable 6.1 gallons to usable 5.0 gallons. For the same range, I’d need to average 51.2 mpg on the 1833 engine. I love seeing efficiency improvements, and I’m all on board with that whole concept, but I think 51.2 mpg is a challenge. Let’s hope it’s real.
I get about 50 mpg with my AT. It's hard to believe that would be physically possible with the new goldwing.

So, seven speed dct with walking and reverse.

I wonder what changes are coming for other bikes.

The 2018 Africa twin is to be introduced on Nov. 6th. Suppose to have an extra gas tank under the seat (haven't heard the capacity). there also may be a tubeless wheel option.....er so through the rumor mill.

I did see a Japanese mag. Pic on the AT forum. Looks like the gs800 fuel cap style on the right hand side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back