• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2013 NC700X totally dead

Reaction score
Visit site
Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week I was out on the NC.
Put just over 200 miles on the bike.

Last night I go to start it and nothing.
No dash lights or anything.
I did put a battery tender on it but still nothing.
Like I said, not a thing comes to life on the bike.

Battery was new this past August.

Any thoughts???

Thanks.

God bless!!

Michael

1. Check the connections
2. Remove the battery and take a measurement of the voltage. What is it?

A 'new battery' tell us nothing. It may be faulty (broken interconnection), or it can be neglected (uncharged) where sulfation may kill it before its time...

Blown fuse or bad connection assuming the battery isn't completely dead

I've seen batteries fail instantly. If no fuses blow, pull the battery and have it load tested.

Accessories???? GPS, cell phone charger, USB ........ Something got left on that is directly connected to the battery ? Key got left on ?

If the battery is dead the charger might not start charging it because the polarity protection circuit in the charger can not be verified. Battery chargers instructions explain the problem of charging a completely dead battery.
There have been several posts on this battery charging problem and the need to trick the charger in to the charging mode.

Last edited:
As stated by showkey, if the battery charge is too low, the battery charger won't realize it's hooked up and won't start charging. You have to trick it to start working. You hook the dead battery up to a good battery(another bike or car) and then hook up the charger. If the charger starts to work, wait a bit and then disconnect the good battery. If the dead battery has enough charge in it by that time, the charger will continue working. This is no guarantee that the dead battery is salvageable though.

Most unlikely for a battery to fail completely over a weekend.
I'd check the fuses especially the main one next to the battery.

We have talked prior about "sudden death failures" as opposed to "weak, slow crank" failure that gives the rider warning the battery is going to be a problem.

Seems to me "sudden death" is far more common these days compared years ago. ??????????

My last two batteries that died, measured full charge voltage until loaded and the voltage dropped to 7 volts.

Internal battery open or shorted cells might be the cause for sudden death.

Last edited:
1. Dead battery.
2. Wires cut
3. Main Fuse blown

Solution: parallel linkup to another good battery / car running and try to start.
Replace battery.

If the bike cannot even "light up" while hooked to good battery source, then bring bike to mechanic.

Good luck and God bless.

Solution: parallel linkup to another good battery / car running and try to start.
NEVER DO THAT! It will overcharge the really small m/c battery. That will cause extreme gassing (hydrogen & oxygen) and the AGM will vent. Gassing willl dry the battery and more importantly may cause an explosion if there is a spark around...

Every battery has a very specific maximum charging rate. That is 0.5C for AGM batteries, i.e. 5.5A for a 11Ah battery.

if you actually jump start with the car engine running it may also damage the charging system of the m/c and fry other electronics...

If you do it, do it safely with car engine turned off, and connect the cables with careful steps:
1. Turn off every accessory
2. Connect discharged battery's + with donor's +
3. Connect donor's - with m/c frame at least 30cm away from the battery
4. Start m/c engine
5. Disconnect the cables in reverse order

Anyway jump starting is something to be avoided. Use it only in very extreme situations.

Is the red "kill switch" ON?

Very good point ! But OP no dash lights if that's reliable kill switch is less of a concern.

Strat where are you at with your battery/charging voltage concerns ??? It always good to update your posts with a conclusion or at least an update .........other maybe in the same boat looking for information.

Last edited:
NEVER DO THAT! It will overcharge the really small m/c battery. That will cause extreme gassing (hydrogen & oxygen) and the AGM will vent. Gassing willl dry the battery and more importantly may cause an explosion if there is a spark around...

Every battery has a very specific maximum charging rate. That is 0.5C for AGM batteries, i.e. 5.5A for a 11Ah battery.

if you actually jump start with the car engine running it may also damage the charging system of the m/c and fry other electronics...

If you do it, do it safely with car engine turned off, and connect the cables with careful steps:
1. Turn off every accessory
2. Connect discharged battery's + with donor's +
3. Connect donor's - with m/c frame at least 30cm away from the battery
4. Start m/c engine
5. Disconnect the cables in reverse order

Anyway jump starting is something to be avoided. Use it only in very extreme situations.

See above also look at the charging amperage of your battery tender. Some are very very low amperage so it will take days to charge if completely dead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A lot of great ideas and places to start - thanks everyone!
The first thing I checked was the kill switch but I also realized no dash lights so kill switch should not be the answer (also way to easy and quick to remedy!)
No accessories what so ever to drain the battery.
Was running fine right up to that point.
Had it our three straight days.
Popped right off each day.
Sits in a cold garage - how does cold effect the situation?

First thing I will check is fuses!

I am glad this happened at home.
Could have been worse.
Out on a mountain top, stop to snap a picture, wham-o, dead bike.
This forum is such a God send regarding everyone's wealth of information and kindness to want to help.

I will let you know.
Again, thanks for all the ideas on where to start first.

God bless!!

Michael

Mine died in the middle if my riding test for the MC endorsement on my license. The evaluator asked me to hit the kill switch then restart like i had stalled in traffic. Hit the switch...restart...nothing. end of test. Tore that bike to pieces trying to figure it out. Finally pulled the battery and had it tested. Yup...battery shorted. Unless you find a blown fuse...loose wire....its the battery.

Cold decreases the performance of a battery. The best performance & lifetime is at 77°F.

As I can see on January 5th you had 21°F to 29°F, that's a lot of cold! But not enough to freeze the electrolyte and damage the battery unless it was completely discharged for some reason. I can't say anything more without any measurements...

Check the battery with a voltmeter, and if it's ok try to fully charge it in a warm environment (ideally 77°F). If there is a problem it's time to visit the battery shop...

Back