• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

100 mph: Is that it?

Nemo

Reaction score
Visit site
Yesterday, I succumbed to the temptation of a straight, no-traffic stretch of Florida road and took my NC to 100mph. That's the fastest I've ever been on a motorbike. But my NC cut off immediately after getting there. Is that normal? Is there a way to make it don't do that?

I'm sure somewhere in these 25 pages of posts someone must have talked about this, but I can't browse through it all right now. Any info is greatly appreciated and please don't mock the newbie rider.

:cool:

Posts on YouTube show the NC going as fast as 118mph or so with no problem. I believe it's capable of 120mph? Personally I've only taken mine to 85mph (and that was on the first day I got it and road 90 miles on the freeway home from the dealer).

If it "cut out" then you almost assuredly hit the rev limiter but I'm thinking you must have been in 5th as I'd think you would reach top speed before the rev limiter in 6th. As far as disabling the rev limiter let's just go with "No" there is not an easy or practical way to do it and it would be ill advised IMO although I know there is a rev limiter thread on this forum where this has been debated. Discussing rev limiters on any bike is always a subject of great debate and varied opinions.

Yesterday, I succumbed to the temptation of a straight, no-traffic stretch of Florida road and took my NC to 100mph. That's the fastest I've ever been on a motorbike. But my NC cut off immediately after getting there. Is that normal? Is there a way to make it don't do that?

I did well over 90 MPH, I think it was 95 or 96 this morning. I still had a little bid of throttle left to go.

I am not 100% convinced that the speedo is 100% accurate yet. Most speedos have an error of single digit percentages, my ST1300 had a 7% error off the factory floor. Since the speedo is driving off the rear wheel through the countershaft, chaning the tire size or sockets could add some additional percentage of error to the overall error.

It's good to know that the bike is capable of hitting triple digits. But I don't think I will ever have the need or desire to go that fast on public roads...

You obviously hit the limiter in 5th. The bike is capable of about 105/110mph realistically, in top gear. The speedo on mine reads 9kph higher than actual speed, so some folks will think they are doing more than they are. One or two folks got higher readings on their speedo, but they almost certainly were on a slight downhill incline or had a strong tail wind and possibly were light in weight themselves.

With stock tires many have report the speedometer was +\- less than 1 mph.

For those that have changed gearing even to "taller" than stock it is very possible the bike will go faster in 5th gear vs 6th simply will not pull 6th gear or if it will it might take a very long stretch for road.

( taller being smaller rear sprocket)

I haven't had a chance to test my speedo. My previous Suzuki's, Kawasaki and Triumph had very optimistic speedometers, the Bonneville being the worst. Honda's CB1100 is very accurate. 60mph indicated is a true 60 mph. The bike uses a sensor on the rear wheel hub to measure speed.

An ECU reflash will defeat the 180 kph (112 mph) speed limiter on the CB1100. Japan requires the limiter on larger motorcycles, and Honda didn't bother to disable it on US bikes. I assume the rev limiter on the NC is a different nut to crack

I'm guessing in the 105-110 range. Haven't hit the century mark on my NC, doubtful I will - and I am fine with that. I can't believe how fast I used to ride back in my 20's on my GPZ and Ninja. I am so thankful that I wasn't hurt, killed or caused harm to someone else. Just be careful of your surroundings and make sure all is in good working order when you lay on the wood. As my dad told me growing up "goofy hurts".

Yesterday, I succumbed to the temptation of a straight, no-traffic stretch of Florida road and took my NC to 100mph.
:cool:
I ran into a guy at the Tail of the Dragon last year that had a t-shirt that said "318 miles , 11 curves" .
I know some in here won't get it, some will.

An ECU reflash will defeat the 180 kph (112 mph) speed limiter on the CB1100. Japan requires the limiter on larger motorcycles, and Honda didn't bother to disable it on US bikes. I assume the rev limiter on the NC is a different nut to crack

This rev limit change or defeat has been hash and rehashed many times..............but it comes down to basicly the NC has a long stroke ( over square engine ) so there is nothing to gain at higher rpm.

In 6th (MT), tucked down as low as I can get, mine tops out at 107-108 mph. This is not running into the rev limiter, but just the engine lacking more torque to overcome all the drag. It's pretty close to the rev limiter, though.

+1 on you were in 5th gear. My 2012 NC700X would do about 99 in 5th before hitting the rev limiter and 105-107 mph in calm air in 6th. This is an accurate speed as reported by a GPS. The speedo was very accurate by motorcycle standards - off about 1 mph at 60 (60 indicated was 59 actual) but by 110 mph indicated it was off about 2 mph. I saw 112 indicated a time or two but with a good tailwind and a little patience. 100 comes up quick enough but that last 5 or 6 depends on absolutely flat ground and no headwind component.

http://vid115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/dduelin/IMG_1945_zps78a42d6c.mp4

Mine want go 100, had it to about 97 and that was it. Plenty fast for me because I rarely go much faster than the speed limit.

+1 on you were in 5th gear. My 2012 NC700X would do about 99 in 5th before hitting the rev limiter and 105-107 mph in calm air in 6th. This is an accurate speed as reported by a GPS. The speedo was very accurate by motorcycle standards - off about 1 mph at 60 (60 indicated was 59 actual) but by 110 mph indicated it was off about 2 mph. I saw 112 indicated a time or two but with a good tailwind and a little patience. 100 comes up quick enough but that last 5 or 6 depends on absolutely flat ground and no headwind component.

http://vid115.photobucket.com/albums/n291/dduelin/IMG_1945_zps78a42d6c.mp4

Dave nailed that square on the head, exactly correct.

Going to Mexico right now, and ran into a bad head wind today. With my fat body in the mountains and all the stuff I am carrying 76 was top in going down hill.

Back