• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New bike crashed, pelvis smashed.

Methodician

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow just under two weeks with the NC700X - some of the best overall feelings of wellbeing in my life... I loved that thing like a good friend, like a favorite horse, like an adventure companion. I had so much planned with my new bike!

On the way home from work I went shopping. When I was just about 200 yards from home with my loot in the fronk someone made a left turn in front of me - cut me off like I was invisible. They stopped, looked, and went - having never seen me coming with my high beams glaring and reflective tape. It was that moment that I became a statistic. According to nolo: "The single most dangerous situation for motorcyclists occurs when cars are making left hand turns".

(see Motorcycle Accidents: Common Causes | Nolo.com)

The worst part is that I can only kick myself in the butt so much because it really wasn't my fault. I'd like to think that if only I had a little more practice I would have made it but I'd probably have just been a LITTLE closer to not crashing. The weird thing is that in spite of all this I'm not sure I'm prepared to swear off all riding. In fact, I'm hoping to get another NC700X - this time with the DCT/ABS option I originally wanted. Maybe, just MAYBE the ABS could have saved me, or at least reduced my injuries.

The design of the NC700X lead to a specific injury but may have saved me from others. Take a look at a side-view picture of the bike and you'll see the incredibly smooth and gradual slope leading from the seat up the false fuel tank. It acts like a little jump. I went right up it and found myself levitating calmly into the air, flipping a bit over 180 degrees, and landing just in front of the bike on my left arm, knee, etc... and ending up on my back, cringing and cursing in the middle of the road, writhing in pain. It's some of the most intense pain I've ever felt. In addition to the crushed inner pelvis, I had a messed up left hand and elbow, broken knee (nothing too severe) and lots of bruising and abrasions.

The most severe injuries sustained were to my inner pelvis. It's broken in 5 places but will require no surgery, braces, or special treatment to heal. I can almost walk and it's just been a few days since the incident. Don't take this as an excuse to be careless, but a word of caution and a touch of advice. I braced against the false tank, which on most standard bikes would have splayed open my pelvis and lead to major surgery. In my case it lead to a few broken bones and prevents me from lifting my legs for a few days/weeks/months depending if you're a wolverine like me :)

Friends and family are devastated and, naturally, shocked and appalled to hear that I haven't decided to swear off all riding. I may still but haven't yet. I really want a new NC700X! First though, I need to deal with all the legal/insurance bulljunk and heal up. Hopefully I won't be too much in the hole financially at that point. Then it's decision time.... It was easy to decide I wanted the NC700X before I bought it for the first time. Whether or not I repeat the apparent mistake will be one of the toughest decisions of my life.

Wow................ Hope you get to feeling better............ I had my left hand turn accident back in 2005.............

Sorry for the pain. But, it sounds like you've got it. Once the bug gets in your blood, there just ain't no getting it out. Your hooked, and you feel like a fish out of water without a bike. The heeling time is unbelievable, not the physical pain, but the "no ride syndrome". I've been fighting with it for 19 days now. My decision MRI is on July 29th, with a doctor decision on yes or no for joint replacement around Aug 2nd. I can handle the physical pain, but the pain of the "no ride syndrome" is UNBEARABLE. My wife had my children take the keys and batteries to all my bikes to their houses.

Hope you heal fast. One of my ex-techs is coming over tomorrow. (Ron is 73 and still rides, but his father is 94 and rides a little still). We will be working on designing a shoulder brace, and planning the key burglary of my kid's house.
8.jpg

smileyfirstaid.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
Wow! What a story. You didn't say how fast you were going (suspect you had things on you mind at the time and checking your speedo was not one of them) but IMHO you're damn lucky you weren't hurt worse. Glad to see your positive attitude (I hear it aids healing) and wish you a speedy recovery.

This is the third crash story on this forum in the last couple of days - two caused by others and one (well actually two/same rider) because of road conditions. Hope this is not the start of a trend.

Very glad injuries are not worse! Heal fast, and give it some time. If it's meant to be, you will ride again.

glad your ok. Must be painful for sure. Your on your way to healing. Take it easy...

In your opinion, would HI-VIS helmet or jacket could of prevented the crash ? or maybe a loud horn ?

Ken

In your opinion, would HI-VIS helmet or jacket could of prevented the crash ? or maybe a loud horn ?

Ken

Car drivers frequently do not see trains and 18 wheelers.........so if their not paying attention they might not see a freakin fire truck with lights and siren........so

The motorcyclist for own survival must try to identifiy, judge, anticipate what they might do and try to react to every car in that left turn position.
Even if they see us...........The one that make me most nervous is the left turning car with the wheels turned and not stopped (rolling) like trying to just clear my back fender as I pass.

Glad your still kicking! With your attitude I wouldn't doubt you will be running on all eight very soon. I hate to think what I would do in your situation, but I think I would call a attorney on this, just to make sure everything was taken care of. (I don't trust insurance companies) I hope you have a speedy recovery!!!

Last edited:
That's a bummer but I like your attitude about the whole thing. I almost joined you a couple of hours ago. I was traveling up the street and a lady in a F350 pulled out of a parking lot right in front of me making a left turn across my lane. She heard my front tire and stopped in time for me to let go of the brake and regain control of the bike and steer around her. I never would have stopped in time. Of course with the height of that truck, I might have been able to duck and ride right under her. And the stupid thing I was up in this little town in the mountains - all roads in are really cool - and there must have been 250 bikes within 200 yards of me at the time.

This SUCKS BIG TIME!!!!
I am very sorry to read about this incident. There are so many careless, texting, eating, etc,... and just plain stupid a$$holes on the road....
I would like to wish you a speedy and complete recovery, and command you on your attitude!
When you get back on - it will be a bit scary and you'll be tense... like all of us, who have had similar experiences. But the good news is - that uneasy feeling goes away really fast, once you smell the fresh cut grass, flowers, crisp air and again fell and sense all those things that make us riders.
Best of luck, brother!

Ugh, I really hate to see this happen to anyone. In my 8 years of riding, I have had about 5 near death experiences on my bike. All have been from other driver negligence. I am glad to hear you are ok, and if you had full coverage on it and it wasn't your fault I would not worry about it. Hang in there, good luck with the new NC when the time comes to pick back up and ride again.

for me, when I rode (33 years ago). An old lady in a 4 door sedan made a left turn in front of me and she didn't even see me.
I had a helmet on, no hi-vis, no protective clothing. I made an emergency manuever to get me out of her way however that scared me enough to stop riding till now.

Now, I have hi-vis helmet, wear a hi-vis vest and took a msf coarse. I even outfitted my GIVI top box with LED lights. Going to add aux LED lights and just maybe those reflective rim tape or lunasee. Just want to have all bases covered.

ken

Last edited:
Back