• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

12mm oil sump crush washer

grimp

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all

Can you re-use a crush washer if you heat it to red heat and let it cool to room temp? Does that "re-inflate" it for want of a better word? cheers

I've never done that but what I have done is use emery paper on a flat surface (such as steel plate) and rubbed it back-and-forth on each side. Often times the washer will have a raised ridge caused by the round portion of the drain bolt. The crush washer is made of soft alum so it only takes a few passes. :rolleyes:

Hi all

Can you re-use a crush washer if you heat it to red heat and let it cool to room temp? Does that "re-inflate" it for want of a better word? cheers

Seems like I remember reading about this when re-using an old two stroke COPPER head gasket. Not sure about doing it to Al-U-many-um washer....???

copper and aluminum both behave the same and the opposite to ferrous (iron) alloys. With iron, you heat and let cool slowly to soften. With Cu and Al, you heat and quench (dip in water) to soften.

Forgive me for my skepticism, but this is almost a troll’s question, especially for a first post. This general annealing topic is well covered on the Internet.

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^agree..........don’t be surprised if we shut this down. It was hashed and rehashed here and dozen other forums.

I like to put the washers in the oven at 450 degrees, bake for 4 hours.

Can you re-use a crush washer if you heat it to red heat and let it cool to room temp? Does that "re-inflate" it for want of a better word? cheers[/QUOTE]

I like to put the washers in the oven at 450 degrees, bake for 4 hours.

Once crushed, a crush washer will stay crushed. Sanding it flat and heating it up to anneal the metal may give you a workable like-new-but-thinner crush washer.
But really, at $5.36 delivered for 10 of them, why risk anything?

Amazon.com: Bolt Motorcycle Hardware (DPWM12.20-10) M12 x 20mm Drain Plug Washer, (Pack of 10): Automotive

Back