• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Driving Lights

Billy Budd

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the light bar coming Monday. I am looking for a good set of driving lights. I just want to supplement the low beam, not re-enact the Close Encounters of the Third Kind type of lighting. Suggestions on a good quality reasonably priced set of lights and where to get them?

I have the light bar coming Monday. I am looking for a good set of driving lights. I just want to supplement the low beam, not re-enact the Close Encounters of the Third Kind type of lighting. Suggestions on a good quality reasonably priced set of lights and where to get them?

LOL!

I'd kinda like some lights for mine, too, though I lean more toward wanting the 'Close Encounters of the Third Kind type of lighting.' :p

I like the idea of LED lights like Beemerphile has. Have you seen those in his thread(s)? My only hesitation about them is that even that company's 'wide spread' light looks a lot like a pencil beam to me, when I look on their website. I think I'm looking more for a classic 'driving light' pattern; wide spread fairly close in, but also with a long-range center beam. If I see anything that looks like it's up your alley, I'll post it here, if you'll do the same in return?

Good luck finding what you're looking for!

I'm all over the Rigid Industries Duallys. Super-solid construction, reasonable price, made in USA. Solid mounting system, excellent heat rejection (important on high power LED's). Available in spot or fog. There is a higher performance (also higher price) model called the D2. Mine are the spots.

Amazon.com: rigid dually

...My only hesitation about them is that even that company's 'wide spread' light looks a lot like a pencil beam to me, when I look on their website. I think I'm looking more for a classic 'driving light' pattern; wide spread fairly close in, but also with a long-range center beam. If I see anything that looks like it's up your alley, I'll post it here, if you'll do the same in return?

Good luck finding what you're looking for!

I don't know of any supplier that offers a wider range of optics choices than Rigid. the info below is from their Website FAQ. Mine are the simple Dually Spot's. Maybe the best thing is a spot and a fog, or a D2 and a Spot. Or heck, two D2's a Spot and a Fog. I have to admit to thinking that there is room under my Duallys for a set of D2's on the wind deflectors and plenty of power to run all of them.

What is the difference between a Dually and a Dually D2?

The Dually and Dually D2 are housed in the same extrusion and have the same shape and profile. The difference is what is inside. The Dually has 4 L.E.D.'s that utilize our Hybrid optic system, which comes in either Spot or Flood configurations. It produces 1300 lumens and uses only 15 watts and 1 amp. That is less power than it takes to use a turn signal! This light, in it's spot configuration, can out distance the Dually D2. The Dually D2 has 6 L.E.D.'s that utilize our Specter optic, which comes in either Driving or Wide configurations. It produces 2600 lumens and uses only 28 watts and 1.9 amps. The Dually D2, with it's driving beam, produces the perfect combination of distance and width for lighting up the road or water in front of you.

What is the difference between the Hybrid and Specter Optic?

The Hybrid and Specter Optics are both patent pending and offer the highest in forward projecting LED technology. Visually, these are both chrome housings that encompass the LED and project the light outwards. Our Hybrid Optic comes as a system with the TIR reflector (See "What is the TIR reflector?"). The Hybrid Optic system comes in either a flood or spot configuration. Our Specter Optic comes in either a Driving Beam or Wide Beam. The Hybrid Optic System out preforms the Specter Optic in distance, while the Specter Optic out performs the Hybrid Optic System in overall coverage. Both of these optics are great for their individual purposes, and if desired, they can work together for a perfect combination of distance and spread.

What is the TIR reflector?

The TIR reflector can be seen in the Hybrid Optic System. It is a small, bean like lens in the center of the optic. It's job is to help collect and then spread the L.E.D.'s emitted light into the optic. From there, the optic projects the light forward at a more efficient rate than any other reflector design in existence.

What is the difference between the Hybrid Optic spot and flood beam patterns?

The flood configuration can be visually identified by it's higher trough, compared to the spot. Our flood optic illumates at a wider beam angle, but does not go as far. The spot configuration can be visually identified by it's lower trough, compared to the flood. Our spot optic illumates at a greater distance, but does not reach as wide of an area. Both of these lights are great for their individual purposes, and if desired, they can work together for a perfect combination of distance and spread.

What is the difference between the Specter Optic driving and wide beam patterns?

The driving beam pattern offers a great combination of distance and spread. The ultimate "Driving" light, you might say. Visually the driving beam can be identified by it's more vertical oval shaped optic, as apposed to the wide beam's horizontal ones. The wide beam offers an immense amount of light at a very wide angle. In cases where you need to see a very broad area, this is your perfect light. Visually the wide beam can be identified by it's more horizontal oval shaped optics, as apposed to the driving beam's vertical ones.

You know, I've just gone to their site, and they're not the manuf. I was thinking of. Rigid actually looks like they have a light or light combo that would be just what I'm looking for, so thanks! :)

You know, I've just gone to their site, and they're not the manuf. I was thinking of. Rigid actually looks like they have a light or light combo that would be just what I'm looking for, so thanks! :)

Here is a grade C- YouTube video of the D2 Driving models...

[video=youtube;LBLBtXpH6xs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBLBtXpH6xs[/video]

Rigid makes excellent lights. We use them a lot in the off road racing world. Another, possibly better light in the OnX from Baja Designs.

It's virtually impossible to see thru a turn at night with the stock low beam.

If you look down to post #6 in this thread http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/969-aux-lights.html, you'll see some pictures of lights that won't break the bank and have worked very well for me. The beam focus is tight enough that you can use them to supplement your low beam without blinding everyone else.

Chris

I do have a set that is the same as the "Model 60" light on your website (Model 60 LED off road flood light) but I have not purchased them from the same seller. Mines came from a bid I won that included an handlebar switch (which I did not used) and two very nice black aluminium clamps.

I understand that they are not up to par with Rigid quality, but they work very well for the money (paid 150$ for the kit). I wired them on my HID high beam selenoid through a relay, so as soon as I enter the woods or a very dark road, I just hit the High beam and they lighten up everything like a locomotive would. I often leave them on for an hour long without any heating issue. There is a temperature sensor hooked up to the DC-DC converter inside the housing that will dim the output in the event that they become too hot, but I guess that will only happen standing still a very long time.

Last edited:
Chris,
That is my intention. Did you wire them in as a separate circuit?
Like FrankQC, I wired mine in with a relay. Power comes off the battery. Relay closes the circuit when power is supplied from something that is only on when the ignition is on. That way you never take the chance of running your battery down.

Chris

Daboo and FankQC, some pic will be nice.
Also did you guys bought the relay separately? What is a relay? Where can I get one?

THanks!

Back